Spektrum DX8 or Futaba T8J??? or Other???

parkyi

Hi,

I'm a good 10 months into this hobby now, I started out with a homebuilt quad using a KK2.0 then upgraded to a DJI F450 with Naza and GPS. From the start I have used a Spektrum DX6i tx, which I haven't had any issues with and have been very happy with.

I fancy upgrading to an 8 channel tx now and have been looking at the Spektrum DX8 and the Futaba T8J. Has anyone one else any experience with these tx's and can you offer any pro's and con's for them? or suggest other similar tx's that might be worth checking out.

Cheers in advance

Parky

kloner

Aerial DP
i grew up using JR but went futaba the last few years. Smaller form factor, lighter, better range, excellent link, as pro grade as your gonna get for the money. only downside to 8j is it doesn't come with recargeable battery. i get the nimh AA and recharge on my main lipo charger, has nimh mode.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I use Futaba T8J and love it so far... nice radio, easy to use, easy to set up and a great feel....

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I have DX18 for my heli's, small MR's and BNF models and a 14SG for my FPV, from what I read the Futaba gives slightly better performance at the extremes, for FPV that can't be bad and it also integrates with some of the FPV gear better like S-Bus with the Naza.

That said I wish I could do it all with my DX18, programming is so much easier.

Pete

olof

Osprey
IMHO the Futaba 8FGS is the way to go. I have spectrums as well, many problems with brownouts etc, never a problem with my 2 8FGs. I am switching all my new RC planes to Futaba as well.

Just my experience. But many in my AMA club feel the same way.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Likewise. I have a DX10t and DX7S and really like the ease of use. I'm into FPV and find the Spektrum 2.4Ghz penetration through obstacles poor. Range about 2.2Km. Have only heard good things about Futaba with that respect (I've been thinking about jumping ship for a while).

parkyi

Cheers for the replies chaps, I'll be ordering a Futaba this week I reckon! treat myself for my birthday :)

RobertsUp

Yep. I began with a DX8 but ...

I'm still so new to the hobby that I decided I can switch to Futaba.

Kloner swears by Futaba and Tahoe Ed has switched and so I'm going to switch too.

Before I invest any money on my next build. The TX choice is important. Better now than later.

Best, Rob

Tahoe Ed

If you are going to fly DJI I would move to Futaba for SBus and the fact that DJI prefers and tests their stuff with Futaba. I resisted for a long time. I have a lot invested in JR/Spektrum products and the transition is not cheap. I purchased a 8FGS from Century and then added two more Rx's. I need to add about 4 more. Selling the JR 9503's will probably finance the rest of that change over. The other issue is that I had to learn another system to program. PITA. But I am getting there. The good news is that I programed my F3330 and was able to copy the program to the rest of my DJI controllers.

Last edited by a moderator:

bensid54

I just ordered a DJI450 and a Naza system with GPS I have a Futaba 2.4ghz 7C radio system is seven channels enough? I plan on a very simple FPV system and will use one channel for changing servo angle.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Touch and go, you will have to either give up IOC or Mode control, if I was you, I would give up the IOC. It will work with a 7 channel, but you really should get an 8 if you want to use all the toys..

bensid54

Touch and go, you will have to either give up IOC or Mode control, if I was you, I would give up the IOC. It will work with a 7 channel, but you really should get an 8 if you want to use all the toys..

OK now my next question what's IOC and mode control?

Efliernz

Pete
IOC is like a carefree mode - I call it playstation flying.
The craft flies in the direction that you move your sticks no matter which way it is facing. It can be facing you but if you move the pitch stick away from you, the machine flies away from you.

The NAZA like a 3-positon stick for manaul/ATTI/GPS-ATTI and you need another channel/switch for more functions like IOC

Pete

I-cant-fly

I went with Futaba T8J Tx and R2008SB rx and a Naza V-2 on a hexacopter. trying to set it up S-Bus way. ( The way to go) having a little trouble finding a good video to help me program it and set the gains. I have spooled up the motors. there's 1 real bad video on utube that helped me a little just have to set the gains. I do like the new radio a lot. it does have 2- 3 position switches

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Gains, to be honest just use what is recommended on page 8 of the manual, I use a little extra vertical gain and a bit of offset on the Naza on my TBS Discovery but those numbers should get you pretty close.

Re-Pete