Sony HDR 740 Cx

E-Copter

Hi,

here are a couple of videos made yesterday with the Sony HDR 740 (European model of the 760 i guess?)

My gimbal rol servo was a bit.. out of order ( lol ) and was slow as hell or simply stopped and go ( motor is gone, these MK DS18 are definilty disapointing me..)

Anyway, as i could not go make some real " footage", i decided to fine tune the position hold and vario hold + adjust velocities on the " Mystery" Box that i test actually.

Pretty happy with the results so far..

I know nothing about video editing so i simply used the Vimeo HD preset ( H264) for compression, but it makes yaw movements a bit jerky, any input on which format to use and which settings is more than welcome :)

I will be in California almost all November month, if there are some nice areas for aerial filming testing to bring back some nice videos in France, i'm also interrested ( i will be in Morgan Hill and Los Angeles areas mostly) :)))

Best regards,
Fabien

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
Morgan Hill is an hour or more from Yuri and San Fran/Oakland. Really nice area but it's inland on the inside of the pacific mountain range so it's inland..... That time of year can be clear and hot to rainy, windy and cold. If things keep on track with how they are now..... it'll be hot

Los Angeles is hell...... 20 million people. noteables are places like Venice beach, some of the different stadiums and sports arenas but mn, risk city. Theres always people everywhere. I'm a couple hours south and i personaly drive an hour and a half to get away from em all into the desert. It's hard to burn dirt and it's hard to hit anything if nothings there. PAlm Springs would be a similar deal from LA..... Aerial Media Pros is there.......

E-Copter

Hi Kloner,

thanks a lot for your message :)

I am more searching for nice spots with as less people as possible (Sure LA is not a good plan for this lol!) to have first of all good fun and nice views, so i guess i'll have to trip around to find some nice spots :)

Do you think it's possible to find some surf spots like Santa Barbara or anything with decent waves in the area and get an authorisation from local authorities to record surfers ( with their aknowledgement) ? I guess flying over the sea is not too big deal if there is a secured spot for hovering and landing on the beach ? Maybe i can setup a deal with a local Surf Camp to arrange that kind of thing and in exchange i would give them a complete copy of the footages ?

I have a full insurance as manufacturer / integrator with pretty good coverage ( only thing not covered are my Multirotor, if i loose them in the sea, it's for my pocket, lol)

Thank you very much, and sorry for the dumb questions :)

Fabien

PaNt

Nice controller.! We want more info about it. :) :)

I now its to early but we want them...:):)

What about wind??!

kloner

Aerial DP
your gonna have better luck with beaches up near morgan hill and deserts in so cal. Glamis..... Palm Springs....... Big Bear......... palm desert....... colorado river.......

so cal
http://www.glamisdunes.com/
http://www.ci.palm-springs.ca.us/
http://www.bearmountain.com/snowboard/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_River

Santa Cruz should have something for you. the whole monterey area is alot of wildlife preserves and state parks. i'd try avoiding flying out of them and stick to descelate more isolated private areas. In general they wouldn't take to kindly to your being there. BLM land usually has little brown signs like this at the begining..... them are good spots to be

most of my videos are from the colorado river and ocotillo desert area, feel free to see if any of that looks like something you want to film

kloner

Aerial DP
the actual act of going out over surfers doesn't matter, just stay away cause they like throwing water and crap at ya. We have an area in carlsbad that's a official flying spot that's on the cliffs overlooking the pacific, was just there last weekend, killer little spot called daves beach

you show up like a dude and not a production studio nobody will say a word except how cool your rig is.

that spot is an hour due west from the funfly

E-Copter

Hi,

it can handle wind up to 40 / 50 kilometer per hour, but this depends of the size and weight of the aircraft, payload included mainly, and depends of the settings you have on it..
The reason is, by setting up the velocity ( number of G's) and maximum allowed inclination, you will either have something smooth to fly ( 0.3 or 0.4 G is the setting i use with max allowable angle at 35° ) but that will obviously be a little slow in compensating wind, or you can set it up up to 1G and allow up to 45 ° inclination ( we call it the flying saucer mode..), then it becomes really savage and will fight wind really well, but hell it will be also damn fast even with some expo lol ! Perfect for aerobatic flight, or if you want to auto drop your payload incliding your camera ( it's possible to break the camera gimbal mounts with these settings in some cases, don't ask me how i know that.. lol).

Then, biggest factor is the weight of the equipped multirotor, if it is heavy enough, then it is possible to reduce the velocity and still have something smooth ( but you need definitly a 3 axis with separate stabilisation on gimbal to keep a good picture in video, as the system will fight the wind as hard as you allow it to do, so there is a lot of sollicitation on the gimbal dampeners, which generates a large deflection of the angle between gimbal and frames, so the flight controller can not determine that angle movement ( tilt and roll), and also yaw can shake in hard wind.

Any stabilisation board manufacturer would tell you that his system is kick *** in the wind, but truth is, even with a very good position hold system, the big air blows will always disturb the barometer, as accurate could it be, by bringing a pressure fluctuation inside the barometer body itself. We use a 24 bits @ 100Hz barometer and it's very fast in reaction, which makes it more " irritable" in hard wind gusts if you do not have a cover on the multirotor that limitates the pressure fluctuation inside. And also, as we use mostly fixed pitch blades, this does not help in big gusts as when the frames are inclinated with props catching wind from below, motors need to reduce speed a LOT so the multi does not climb outerspace. This phenomena is less hard with harder frames but then the problem comes from the power requested to fight the wind blowing over the props and pushing the frame down.. This is why i use always limited size props and high KV motors on small frames to keep a steady power response and RPM's in all conditions.

Now, to show a bit the performances in wind gusts, i will wait to have some bad weather and hard wind, and make a video. But one more time, there is no secret, taking still pictures in high wind is still ok with good camera settings,for videos, i really doubt a lot as the more the system is able to fight the wind, the more it's fast and shaky especially in fast wind gusts, so gimbal is the last of it's interrest loool !

Anyway, the unit i'm using is a Beta version, that will be tested in USA by some people ( this is why i come in USA in November / december, to have it trid by a few people) as now that the unit is giving full satisfaction on a technical point of view, it's time to put it in the hands of cinematographers who are used to multirotor systems so they can give some objective comments and suggestions on some stuffs we might have forgotten or bypassed by our " technical" approach. Once this will be done, the PCB will be reworked to add some features ( mainly connectivity and visual information system) , and then, i'll be able to say what the future will be.

This unit is developped since over 4 years and can be flown in assisted mode by a 5 year children ( Daughter or the developper flies it ) . It's already used by a very few customers and mainly for high masts inspections ( cellular phot antennas and stuffs like that) and a very few ones are testing for video / photo. I really can't tell more as i signed an NDA with the developper for beta testings on one hand, and on the other hand, i am allowed to show it's performances but not to share any sensible technical details of it, which is absolutly normal. More detailed things about the unit and commercial details will come later on, once the unit is fully tested and validated in all possible conditions. I give it something like 8 flights a day actually, since a while now, and the only " problem" i have encoutered has been a slight drift in normal flight ( not position or altitude lock) after a good flip over crash - i wanted to know if it's possible to hover with 5 motors on a hexa and a heavy payload, answer is NO looool, only with limited or no payload and you need some space for taking off) : the PCB had moved 1° away on tilt / roll on it's mount lol !

Best regards and sorry for not giving more infos,

Fabien

E-Copter

the actual act of going out over surfers doesn't matter, just stay away cause they like throwing water and crap at ya. We have an area in carlsbad that's a official flying spot that's on the cliffs overlooking the pacific, was just there last weekend, killer little spot called daves beach

you show up like a dude and not a production studio nobody will say a word except how cool your rig is.

that spot is an hour due west from the funfly

Thansk a lot for the informations !

I'll have to come over there definitly :)

I'm nothing of a production studio, so no problems about this !

But for flying over water, i'll have to get first the waterproof enclosure for the 740CX, i don't want to take a risk to kill this camera in the water in case of any problems lol !!

Thanks for the good informations one more time, i won't be bale to go to the helifreak fun fly as i'm coming only in november / december ( i got 30 Ground station 5.8Gz screens to manufacture for my customers and deliver by the end of october so i'm stuck here...) but once in California, i'll get a car, some gaz and red Bull and i'll drive around almost anywhere with no problems :)))
If you can send me the Google Maps location of the flying spot by MP that would be greatly appreciated, i would be very happy to come and say hi :)

BEst regards,

Fabien

And i forget to say : nice video !!!! I'm already on vacations when i look at it :))))))

Gee Kloner you did it again!!!!

Sitting back here in northern Canada and dreaming of such beaches, you were able to take me there as if I was sitting on the beach! I will likely never visit this great area but through you Quads' eyes, I have been there.

Thank you for sharing such great videos!

I was wondering why you appear not to have any vibrations in the video. Has it been post prod stab or your rig is just incredibly stable and vibrations free. Remember the after burner departure from my backyards, I got a little vibrations as I reached the hover stage on top of my rocket climb. How do you do it so clean?

kloner

Aerial DP
This is on a gimble controlled by naza so it has this bounce the post stab gets rid of. hate it, already tore it off in favor of the sony as-10 back to solid mount

Fabien, it is here
<https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=33.121127,-117.327551&hl=en&geocode=&sll=33.122798,-117.328534&sspn=0.010998,0.020514&vpsrc=0&t=h&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=16&ie=UTF8&z=16&iwloc=ddw1>

give me a call or message when your in town and if you want any guiding around, I'll jump in with ya

BrianMac

If you are going to be over in Morgan Hill then you should definitely head over to Santa Cruz at the very least. Steamer Lane would be awesome to get from the air. There is also Pleasure Point. You can also go down the coast to Moss Landing for some beach break and then all the way down to Carmel and Big Sur for some stunning scenery. I live in the area but I have yet to shoot surfers.

E-Copter

Hi,

thanks a lot for all your inputs !

I'm definitly putting all these spots on my road trip map !!!

Then i just wonder if i'll fly or drive from California to Georgia... lol !

Thanks again, and i hope to meet some of you guys over there :)

Fabien

kloner

Aerial DP
I've gone from San Diego to New Orleans in 25 hours non stop. that's pretty close to the same within a few hours. It's 30+ hours coast to coast

E-Copter

Hi,

yes, i counted approx. 30 hours driving ( thansk google maps lol) also, could be a nice road trip if i add some good pit stop areas :)

I'm used to long distances driving but for the USA trip i want to take my time and travel here and there and stop wherever i fid a nice spot :)

Instead of renting a carthink in buying a good yeah old and crap car, as long it can survive one and half month, will be perfect for me and much cheaper than a rental ( if i take a car at airport in California and return it in Georgia ouch ouch ouch :upset: !

Best regards,

Fabien

kloner

Aerial DP
better would be a newer used car so it's reliable just more out of pocket at while you own it... a crappy car is gonna strand you any kind of trip like that. texas is like 900+ miles of it, up hills, wind, brutal. i've done 400 miles towing a boat into the 40+ mph headwind in second gear the whole way. Your gonna be coming at the end of monsoon, begining of winter season. rain to snow would be possible

E-Copter

I second this :)

But if i can find a Honda, i know all the models and tricks ( Honda Club..), or maybe a Chevy.A bit of shopping and a few days to give it a new heal, insurance, state inspection and i should be allright :)

Well i'll see that once i'm over there, car is an option depending if i fly or drive from point A to point C but yeah i'ld love to drive and stop anywhere i like :))))

BEst regards,
Fabien