SOLO, New RTF Quad from 3D Robotics

Old Man

Word is out Solo will have different landing gear for the production release. The gimbal is a bit close to the ground in the pre-production units.

The battery tray for Solo is designed to accommodate larger batteries than the initial "smart" battery release. It's possible that something other than the proprietary smart battery could be utilized.

The FC is a Pixhawk2. Smaller than the current Pixhawk version. I don't know what makes it different yet aside from communication with a pair of 1gHz Linux processors. There's got to be a lot of software changes to permit control of the Go Pro features and handle the new video oriented flight modes. If we could get Rob in here to share what is allowed from his dev unit the enlightenment would likely be immense.

Nathaniel

According to Best Buy's website the Solo will be in stores and on doorsteps June 8th. I hope the gimbal will be ready for a trip I have planned for early July.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
If we could get Rob in here to share what is allowed from his dev unit the enlightenment would likely be immense.

does Rob have a username or are you talking about R_Lefebvre ?

@Nathaniel I wouldn't bank on having a brand new product with you on anything important where a malfunction of said brand new product could ruin your experience, just sayin'

deluge2

does Rob have a username or are you talking about R_Lefebvre ?

@Nathaniel I wouldn't bank on having a brand new product with you on anything important where a malfunction of said brand new product could ruin your experience, just sayin'

I imagine that's the Rob he's talking about. He's been posting on the Solo from time-to-time.

As to new equipment. Have to agree 100% with your cautionary note. OTOH, I constantly find myself getting new gear just prior to big trips/events. Adds to the pressure for sure! Fortunately for me it has usually worked out favorably.

@Nathaniel As regards the Solo gimbal, I think my biggest worry would be whether I'd even receive v1.0 by that date. I haven't seen any solid info on just when those will start shipping to fill pre-orders.

As to the Solo itself. Supposedly about 400 of BestBuy's many locations will have stock as early as this Sunday (31-MAY), for those who don't want to wait for delivery. Just the craft though, no gimbal, no extra batteries. And if you want the free extra battery that will be available from BB for Solo purchases starting 7-JUNE (I think that's the date), you can still buy earlier and then bring in your receipt to get the extra battery deal a week later...

Steve

Nathaniel

I imagine that's the Rob he's talking about. He's been posting on the Solo from time-to-time.

As to new equipment. Have to agree 100% with your cautionary note. OTOH, I constantly find myself getting new gear just prior to big trips/events. Adds to the pressure for sure! Fortunately for me it has usually worked out favorably.

@Nathaniel As regards the Solo gimbal, I think my biggest worry would be whether I'd even receive v1.0 by that date. I haven't seen any solid info on just when those will start shipping to fill pre-orders.

As to the Solo itself. Supposedly about 400 of BestBuy's many locations will have stock as early as this Sunday (31-MAY), for those who don't want to wait for delivery. Just the craft though, no gimbal, no extra batteries. And if you want the free extra battery that will be available from BB for Solo purchases starting 7-JUNE (I think that's the date), you can still buy earlier and then bring in your receipt to get the extra battery deal a week later...

Steve

I appreciate the notes of caution and tip from Bartman and deluge2. I'm not "banking" on anything, just excited to see how these new products perform! @deulge2 - I have a pre-order from B&H. Didn't know about the "extra" battery, is it applicable dealer wide? Thanks!

Edit - I have a pending correspondence with 3DR about the gimbal. Will update if I get anything useful from them.

Old Man

Last I heard on the gimbal put shipping for that come July. That was Rob L. I was referring to. He's had a hand in some of the Solo development, including three new flight modes that will be life savers for newbies.

deluge2

I appreciate the notes of caution and tip from Bartman and deluge2. I'm not "banking" on anything, just excited to see how these new products perform! @deulge2 - I have a pre-order from B&H. Didn't know about the "extra" battery, is it applicable dealer wide? Thanks!

Edit - I have a pending correspondence with 3DR about the gimbal. Will update if I get anything useful from them.
It's not clear how broadly the free extra battery offer will be available. For other than BB, I would ask so you have something in writing. I think some dealers are matching the offer, not sure if 3DR is supporting them or if they're doing it to avoid losing sales to BB.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Nathaniel

Email reply concerning the gimbal and battery.

...the last update that we got it that the Gimbal will start shipping by Mid-July.

This is a copy of the email that was sent out last week not sure if you got it:

To ensure the Solo Gimbal works seamlessly with GoPro cameras, we are doing final testing of control functionality through the HERO Bus before finalizing the firmware of the gimbal and starting mass production. This means that while Solo is starting to ship, gimbals will begin shipping in July.

If I were reading this email while eagerly awaiting Solo (and I’m sure you already have shoots lined up in June), I’d be super bummed right now. So, we wanted to come up with a token of apology for the few weeks you’ll have to fly Solo around with the standard vibration-isolated GoPro The Frame mount, while you imagine how that beautiful HD video would look if it were perfectly stabilized in all three axes. Here’s what we’re offering: Anyone who purchases Solo in the months of May or June will receive a free Solo flight battery ($149 USD). At least you’ll have some extra flight time to practice those Cable cam shots, and of course enjoy the HD video streaming from the GoPro for some fun FPV flying while you wait for your gimbal.

We are truly committed to our users having a great experience with 3DR, so please let us know if there’s anything we can do to make your experience with 3DR better.

Any other questions please let us know.

Best Regards,

-Ryan