SOLO, New RTF Quad from 3D Robotics

Old Man

Received a blurb in my e-mail today from 3D Robotics. Looks like they have something new to be announced at the 2015 NAB show this Monday, April 13!

Last edited by a moderator:

cootertwo

Geeze, this is getting as bad as computers! And I'm just getting the hang of my Iris+!
at around 6 mini's, 2 Phantoms, 3 or 4 other configurations, and 2 Iris+, I think I'll wait awhile before I add to my fleet. Still dreaming of a setup where I can sit here, in the house, at my computer, and be able to fly around outside, FPV on my computer monitor! Ha! Soooo many controllers, transmitters, receivers, etc. etc. to chose from. I can certainly understand a nubee having trouble understanding all this stuff!:)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I don't know, but I fixed it.
i forgot to tell you, you're a moderator now! did it for other reasons related to hidden sub-forum viewing since you're a review content provider, can fix it later if mod status is too much for you! :)

Gary Seven

Rocketman
It's Monday, 12.00h Western Europe time. 3DR website still showing "404 page unavailable." They're really going to make me wait for this, aren't they??:mad:

Bartman

link just posted to Twitter by 3D Robotics, gotta give credit where it's due, Colin Guinn is doing a great job of getting the word out

Bartman

very interesting bit of information in the video...

"we've worked closely with GoPro to make SOLO the world's first drone to give you full control of your GoPro through both our mobile app as well as dedicated buttons on SOLO's controller"

IMHO, letting GoPro manage the imaging technology is the better way to go for the RTF manufacturers. GoPro can release a new version tomorrow and so long as the weight/size are constant the helicopter remains current. Not so where airframe manufacturers are trying to integrate cameras as OEM components.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Hey @Bartman and everyone else. Yeah, just saw both the 3DR videos (one nothing but magic fudge meant for the younger, gullible types, and the more "technical" one posted by Bart). Wow! Can't seem to find real detailed information on the 3DR site in fact, it seems to be very slow and almost crashing (guess everyone's rushing in at the same time).

I assume this thing is Pixhawk controlled? Also, please PLEASE someone tell me there is none of this proprietary battery crap like those lamers over at DJI??

econfly

The big numbers for the likes of DJI and 3DR are in selling consumer friendly camera platforms. Just look at the success of the Phantom and Inspire for DJI. A huge part of "friendly" is simple battery charging and that means integrated circuitry -- i.e, "smart battery". I think the days of buying your own lipos independent of the rig will soon be limited to the low end of the market and, for now, big multis.