SOLO, New RTF Quad from 3D Robotics

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
I may have to give up on DiscoPros and buy a Solo just to be able to control my GoPros.
(Hate rowing through those menus in bright light...)

dazzab

I don't know why anyone would have issues with a smart battery. They keep track of charges, auto discharge to extend life etc. Great idea as far as I'm concerned. I like the direction 3DR took with this machine. There's no way they can compete on price so they add much better programming and a focus on the average user being able to get good imagery. The gimbal is a massive improvement. I'm a bit over GoPro distorted video these days though. First thing I'd do is change the lens. It's a big step up from the Iris. Can't wait to see what they come up with next. I know someone with a Solo so I'll see if I can get a closer look and maybe even a flight to share some more details.

sledge57

And we were worried about the skies filling up with irresponsible Phantom users?

This will take it to a whole new level and I'm a 3DR fan btw but I see bad things coming from our government.....

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Mt reply to @econfly and @dazzab is this: What about the huge group of builders and hobbyists out there that would like to both build their own AND own somthing like the Solo?

With all due respect you guys are being pretty casual about the fact that these so-called "smart batteries" render your expensive and sophisticated charging stations useless, unless of course you're able to gerry-rig some sort of adapter to connect it's (probably flat) terminals. Or maybe you guys because you're in the "Pro" category and build your own rigs, would never run across this massive inconvenience anyway?? <<shrug>> Just sayin.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once your sUAV supplier of choice goes this route, aren't we then stuck having to use the crappy charger included?

dazzab

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once your sUAV supplier of choice goes this route, aren't we then stuck having to use the crappy charger included?
It's a mix of good and bad I suppose. Your points are valid of course. But I don't mind using their chargers. I've got $1,000 worth of batteries sitting here that are only a year old that I now have to toss out because I kept them charged given how much flying I do with my seven copters. If they had smart batteries I wouldn't have had to do all the tracking and maintenance with them that just led to throwing them out. Maybe. :) I suppose smart batteries will be something you like or don't for various reasons. I do think that you'll have a better chance of transporting them then naked batteries in the near future. All in all, it's not a huge factor in my like/dislike of a system.

cootertwo

I'd buy "smart batteries" in a heart beat "IF" they were "generic", and not just for only one rig. When Lipo's became the thing to use, instead of ni-cad, or NMH, we all had to buy new chargers. Why not build the "smart" technology into the controllers, or an add on device, to connect between your standard Lipo and the multirotor battery connector, instead of in the battery. Then we'd all have "smart" capabilities, without having to buy new batteries. I mean after all, these new smart things are still Lipo's right? Maybe someone with a dead smart battery will tear one apart, and see what's inside? Maybe we're getting too smart for our own good. What's worse? A box full of fully charged regular Lipo's, or a box full of fully charged smart batteries, that are slowly dis-charging themselves into a storage state? Just sayin.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Well @dazzab let me make one more point and then I'll drop it. I don't see myself (or anyone else for that matter) able to plug in say, four smart batteries into my iCharger and doing them all in parallel. Heck, I've go the 406 Duo so I could hook up four (or six) or whatever EACH to my TWO channels and charge an enormous number of batteries in one session. How the hell we gonna do that with these freakin "smart" batteries?? Nuff said.:rolleyes:

econfly

I can say that the Inspire batteries, just for example, are not that difficult to charge using a normal charger. The plug is a pain, but that's about it. The charger itself relies on the battery to adjust current, but the battery only adjusts current to maintain a voltage necessary to charge. So, the solution (in theory -- I have not done it) is just to use a power supply with current limit. The "smart" battery will take all of the current you give it, and when the limit is reached the power supply will move to constant voltage mode. Should work fine. But, honestly, it was a lot easier for me to just order 3 of the stupid little chargers and plug them all in. At least on the Inspire there is no sensible way to move to anything other than stock batteries (no economically viable point in trying).

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i have no idea what the batteries and their chargers/contacts look like. if i had to make a wild ass guess i'd say print an adapter, put contacts in it and wire it to a charger so that the main power leads and balance leads are all accounted for.....wild ass guess though so don't flame me for it!

Last edited by a moderator:

cootertwo

Not to argue, just discussing, but to me it's like a car company, putting out a model that say, has a weird special size of tires, and they are the only ones that make/sell those tires. And they will only continue to make/sell those tires as long as they keep selling that model. Will that size be on the next model, when this current one runs it's course? Who knows?

econfly

The difference here is that these multis depreciate about 90% in a year or two and the batteries are shot by then anyway.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
That BrainFarm video was awesome. Beautiful rig there.
I also agree with your "SWAG" Bart (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) as far as charging Smart Batteries go.
You seen it here first, folks. The birth of a brand new acronym: SWAG

I LOVE this place!

deluge2

Like others who have invested in power supply, lipo charger, and learned how to use these, I was initially not happy about the 'smart battery' introductions. However having use them, as others have noted, there are pluses and minuses.

If anyone's interested in smart battery technical details, the DJI flavor's hardware has been thoroughly explored in various DJI Phantom 2/2v threads here and elsewhere. The 3DR implementation has yet to be released in the wild and it will be interesting to see the similarities and differences in the two companies' approaches. Current DJI tech for smart batteries includes balanced charging, LED 'fuel gauge' to estimate power remaining when not in use (and including a continuous readout during flight), user selected inactivity period prior to auto-discharge to safe storage voltage, a count of charge/discharge cycles, and an estimate of remaining life (not charge state). Some of these features, like auto-discharge, were initially added via firmware upgrades.

As far as charging, for DJI anyway, the the DJI-supplied 'charger' unit is really just a power supply. The charger smarts (firmware based balanced charging algorithm and control of current and voltage) are integrated into each battery. So when using an conventional charger (like my iCharger 4010DUO), the external charger is just acting as a very nice external power supply. Set it to an appropriate voltage and max current (like a lead acid charge profile) and then plug in multiple smart batteries (use DIY or purchased 3rd party parallel adapter), each of which will then separately use their own CC/CV profile to balance charge their own lipo cells.

Do I miss logging my hand written charge history with individual cell IR values? Yes, a little. I still have my large conventional lipos with their care and feeding requirements. But for grab and go, there is something to be said for smart batteries. And for newbies, smart battery technology does reduce (but not quite eliminate) one source of considerable complexity. Anyone reviewing the threads here and elsewhere can see examples of even experienced MR pilots who have, at best, a tenuous grasp on lipo charging/discharging technology, best practices, and have trouble distinguishing fact from fiction.

Can't wait to see what 3DR brings to the 'smart battery' party!

Steve

I can say that the Inspire batteries, just for example, are not that difficult to charge using a normal charger. The plug is a pain, but that's about it. The charger itself relies on the battery to adjust current, but the battery only adjusts current to maintain a voltage necessary to charge. So, the solution (in theory -- I have not done it) is just to use a power supply with current limit. The "smart" battery will take all of the current you give it, and when the limit is reached the power supply will move to constant voltage mode. Should work fine. But, honestly, it was a lot easier for me to just order 3 of the stupid little chargers and plug them all in. At least on the Inspire there is no sensible way to move to anything other than stock batteries (no economically viable point in trying).

Old Man

You seen it here first, folks. The birth of a brand new acronym: SWAG

I LOVE this place!

That's what we called all the hats, pens, and other cheap trinkets we bartered with overseas military when we needed something we could not buy. It's fascinating to watch $2.00 worth of swag horse traded for a few hundred $$ worth of custom made aircraft grade hydraulic lines.