Small drone crashes in NY city

maxwelltub

Attachments

• phatom moron.jpg
    phatom moron.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 241

RobertsUp

Such incidents can only increase in number. Months ago a quad crashed near an employee of a tv station. He also recovered the sd card and the station was able to find the flier and interview him.

So ... Edit out the GoPro image of yourself turning the camera on BEFORE taking off. A paradox? What's a pair of docs? Two. One not on carbon paper.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobertsUp

I don't think such people are idiots. Uninformed, yes but not idiots. So many people live in crowded urban settings like that apartment in New York and Dji has allowed the masses to have the Phantom with its promises. My goodness what other outlet for his creativity does that guy living in a high rise apartment have? None. He buys a Phantom and flies it around like the Chinese sellers expect him to.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Sure, I'll go with idiot, why not. Idiot in the fact that he bought something and said F*** it, I gotta fly it lets just take a spin over a crowded area before i learn to fly. He, like many, just rely on the GPS as backup. but the tiny white chinese toy cant be seen for more than 50' without losing orientation so what was the plan? It's like when you are a kid and you heard the teacher say that no one is stupid. yes, they are stupid, that's why the word exists, to describe people that dont use their brain. Go DJI! selling billions of $ worth of sky garbage to other countries and watching them crash it without having to answer an email and knowing they will still buy the next version and download the next beta firmware. I'm going to go into the chopstick business and put a small crack in the middle of each one.

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
this is exponentially worse than previous on the news crashes. why? because its goes to show these RTF beginners are not being properly checked. they see Team blacksheep videos and think they can do it all legal or not.
In Kansas City, we had a fool with a Phantom fly near Childrens Mercy Hospital and lost control, flying over a HELI PAD (highly illegal) and barely missing cars in the parking lot next door.
Another person wrecked his hex days after flying over a large crowd in a sports stadium because of user error and getting his crutch mode (GPS) mixed up with manual. THEN he had the audacity to ask his Facebook fans to donate money towards a new one!
The third story I was told about involved a man who bought a Phantom (figures) and was arrested for flying it on the outer field of the downtown airport.

Some of these people never cease to amaze me. No matter your equipment, intelligent decisions and experience will always kick RTF and high dollar systems in the butt.

RobertsUp wrote:
My goodness what other outlet for his creativity does that guy living in a high rise apartment have? None.
I'm pretty sure that there is no place in Manhattan that is more than twenty minutes from a world-class museum. There are art-supply stores open 24 hours a day. Food markets and some of the best restaurants in the world. A thriving music scene with literally dozens of free concerts advertized every week. Amateur and Broadway theater. Television studios. A gorgeous and easily accessible 840 acre park for those that are inspired by nature or, say, want to find someplace safe to fly a quadcopter. A mass transit system that can take you from just about any block in the city to a beach on Long Island.

The choice of flight venue demonstrates a lack of creativity (and common sense), not a lack of creative opportunity.

SamaraMedia

Sure, I'll go with idiot, why not. Idiot in the fact that he bought something and said F*** it, I gotta fly it lets just take a spin over a crowded area before i learn to fly. He, like many, just rely on the GPS as backup. but the tiny white chinese toy cant be seen for more than 50' without losing orientation so what was the plan? It's like when you are a kid and you heard the teacher say that no one is stupid. yes, they are stupid, that's why the word exists, to describe people that dont use their brain. Go DJI! selling billions of $ worth of sky garbage to other countries and watching them crash it without having to answer an email and knowing they will still buy the next version and download the next beta firmware. I'm going to go into the chopstick business and put a small crack in the middle of each one.

Agree totally! Like I said before - IDIOT! Sure, he maybe uninformed and bought into the hype that these things fly themselves (try and get a good GPS signal in NYC) but the irresponsibility of taking off from a balcony like that, probably his "maiden", is brainless. Sorry if it seems a little harsh but I'm tired of everyone making excuses for stupid things like this. And not to stereotype but if the dude can't afford a pair of jeans then he really can't afford a Phantom even if it is on sale for $479 at B&H down the street!

John

kloner

Aerial DP
i got 2 questions,,,,,

how the hell does it bounce of buildings for a while, seriously?

Is that just a rig in failsafe or did he really suck that bad? ...... He had no experience to handle that sort of deal, start on the ground dude. I've never seen a multirotor fly by brail, amazing

SamaraMedia

I think I've seen prop protectors that mount on the end of the arms otherwise I would think the props would break on the first impact.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Dude, if you'd a gone to nab you'd of seen the pile of busted ones dji had in a box at their Thunderdome of death!

kloner

Aerial DP
haha, i'm never gonna hear the end of it.....

what, busted plate glass windows from high rises or the prop guards...... i can't believe that little turd survived that long... after the first time i see the bottom of the arms your like well this aint gonna last long

For a hobby guy there is nothing illegal about it. Just an extreme lack of common sense and one big black eye for the sport

tstrike

pendejo grande
i can't believe that little turd survived that long... after the first time i see the bottom of the arms your like well this aint gonna last long

it's a testament to the practice of new flyers getting altitude while learning! Dude did all the right things by having the time to recover. Who among us haven't hit something while learning the sticks?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I hope the moron gets a serious fine from the faa. While most of us try our very best to be safe, there is always stupid morons like this that will dent our fragile hobby/business/playtime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

kloner

Aerial DP
i don;t think the faa can do anything about it can they? not for hire, he's just a non-community ama field flyer...... theres rules and laws that protect that in place no? when the ama got out of falling into the uav rule book. it said the faa doesn't commend or authorize, but do they have to for a guy with a $500 rc model as a hobbyist?

this is where the line is/will be drawn out with the final ruling. Our gov really needs to get there act together. They want to raise taxes because there broke, how about this, try letting law abiding companies to do work for profit legit, the profits will forever blow your mind.

the marines just cancelled the miramar air show, gov shutdown. guess he won't have to deal with anybody for a while. the faa air traffic controllers are barely running now

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I can't believe he was flying in manual mode. His take off attempts are bad enough but it looks like he got it up and then couldn't work out what to do with it, hence the random tilting here and there. I was well impressed by those prop guards!

And no, the FAA probably can't do anything. Here's the recent legal fight with Team Black Sheep:

http://t.co/4cX6pqK4Qp

Quite a poor comment on FAA powers regarding UAS and model flying.