Aeronavics / Droidworx SkyJib Retractable Landing Gear not Locking

garyl

Any word back from Aeronavics on this problem? I too am experiencing this and don't want to give up a channel so the retracts work properly. I've sent the below email to Aeronavics and will post their reply in this thread.

Email:
Hello, I am having problems correctly programing the retract mechanism on my SkyJib to respond in the A2 properly. The retracts are connected to the A2 gear channel and are reversed in the software. When the gear is physically up (retracted) the A2 thinks the gear is down and vise-versa. I have tried to reverse the channel in the A2 software and on my radio but this does not solve the problem. The A2 controller will always see the gear as opposite to its physical orientation. The problem with this is when the A2 goes into failsafe/RTH the gear goes up... You can imagine why this is a problem. How do I solve this? Can I re-wire the retracts control board? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Take care, John.

HI,
I spoke to a technicien at Aeronavics and he told me he wasn't aware of this and was going to test it. I didn't follow up as I have ended up using a External SBUS Rx as the A2 does't have enough plugs for everything I have to plug in ! The retractables work fine on all the other F2 to F4. I know it is a shame but no other solution yet ! it seems that there is going to be an update soon which will allow A2 users to use the DBuS adapter as an extention to the receiver but for now it is only to plug a traditional receiver in.

Regards. Gary

crcr

Any word back from Aeronavics on this problem? I too am experiencing this and don't want to give up a channel so the retracts work properly. I've sent the below email to Aeronavics and will post their reply in this thread.

Email:
Hello, I am having problems correctly programing the retract mechanism on my SkyJib to respond in the A2 properly. The retracts are connected to the A2 gear channel and are reversed in the software. When the gear is physically up (retracted) the A2 thinks the gear is down and vise-versa. I have tried to reverse the channel in the A2 software and on my radio but this does not solve the problem. The A2 controller will always see the gear as opposite to its physical orientation. The problem with this is when the A2 goes into failsafe/RTH the gear goes up... You can imagine why this is a problem. How do I solve this? Can I re-wire the retracts control board? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Take care, John.

Hi Guys

This issue can be corrected by reversing the link arms on the retracts, the will mean the retracts operate in the right direction and the retract arming/disarming will also working correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Decided to throw on a servo signal reverser instead of reversing the link arms. Picked up the common turnigy reverser on eBay for 5 bucks. It works great and solved the problem.

APVXtreme

APVXtreme
Okay guys, I've had this issue since I got mine last year. We we're having other issues with the build we got and put it away for the winter. Over the last couple of months we've completely rebuilt it for the third time. Finally happy with the performance we want to attach our movi m10 to with with "toad in the hole" but alas the servo A7000(now discontinued) gears had turned to dust from collapsing so much is my guess.

So I went and got what I was told was the JR equivilent and although it worked without the legs on it didn't have enough torque to lift the legs themselves and my partner burned it out. So yesterday I went and got the A7000 replacement = A7040HV (can handle 7.2v/2S). I went through the instructions and installed it properly and it worked great on the bench. Again when testing with the legs on it's only lifting 50% of the way.

My conclusion, it's plugged into my Spektrum receiver from which it also draws power. I can only assume it cannot draw enough power for the torque it needs so I'm going to create a new harness this morning and power it independently to see if it works any better. I'm thinking the best way to do it would be to give it it's own battery as I don't usually power up the copter until it's go time. Question is will this solve the issue?

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if any of you believe in ghosts but we did a demo for the remake of the movie "Poltergeist" last summer and this thing has been a nightmare ever since. It's fighting us to the bitter end. I have it flying great now less the landing gear and would love to get it back to work.
PS the original cast of "Poltergeist" *all died of unknown causes soon after the movies was released. *fact

kloner

Aerial DP
I have two pairs of the normal non coax versions and they both work perfect with that new spektrum servo.... You have to get that slip compression thing on the servo just right so they open and not slip....

APVXtreme

APVXtreme
I have two pairs of the normal non coax versions and they both work perfect with that new spektrum servo.... You have to get that slip compression thing on the servo just right so they open and not slip....

It isn't slipping though, I'd hear the servo still going if that were the case? The servo is just stopping like it doesn't have enough juice? The slip compression thing is tight. I'll take it apart and try again but...

Thanks for the input!

kloner

Aerial DP
pretty sure that pcb in there stops a servo when it binds.... try opening up the retracts more at the linkage

APVXtreme

APVXtreme
pretty sure that pcb in there stops a servo when it binds.... try opening up the retracts more at the linkage

There is no PCB on the new servo that I can see unless it's built in to the servo itself. If your talking about the retract control board then I should solder it to the new servo lead? One of the local shops told me it wasn't necessary, mind you they've likely never seen these retracts before.

Hmm

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, i soldered my controllers back on. I've replaced the servo alot, doesn't do hard landings very well. Seen everything from stripped servo gears to sheared output shafts.

APVXtreme

APVXtreme
Alright they are going higher but still getting stuck at 80% and the servo is still trying to push them. I can hear it slow down and work harder then keep trying when they hit the point where they lift no longer. If I lift the foot with my finger it goes up all the way and stays and the servo stops working, trying to keep going so I know my endpoints are okay.

Still just seems like it's not getting enough power. It makes me think, Wookong is powering the RX the servo is plugged into at 5V, the servo works best at 6.0 - 7.2 according to the rating on the package. Still thinking I should try powering from a 2S at this point?

I have a video processing online right now to show you if that helps?

https://vimeo.com/100828628/

If it doesn't embed the password is: retracts

APVXtreme

APVXtreme
Quick update, doesn't work if you power the servo independently between the servo and retract control board. I think I'm onto something though. The servo's operating voltage is between 6.0 and 7.4v. Makes sense if there isn't enough juice at 5v. On to part two, power it from the rx side. Let's see what happens. Oh, the retract control board was getting signal, just not sending it to the servo but the blue light sequence was working. I'm running a 4S through BEC tuned to 7.4v.

Oh crap... wait. I wonder if the control board can handle that voltage?

APVXtreme

APVXtreme
So what voltage do you run the BEC at? Just don't want to fry the board.

the servo goes to the droidworx control board, it is pictured above..... if you want to use endpoints to control where the servo stops you gotta use a servo wire straight from servo to receiver and bypass that board

we use a seperate bec so if the servo geeks out it won't surge in the flight controller..... only thing from the landing gear to the receiver is the signal wire.....

STEVE5

Hi to all Aeronavics retracts users,
Should anybody explain to me states of blue diod on controler for recracts servo please? I'am on Futaba 14SG, end points 100/100, SF 2 pos switch. Down is retracts down, up is up. Up led flashing slowly, down quickly. No sound of push, but at last flight i had almost crash, because servo drain my R7008SB to 4.1 volts and copter become unstable while landing. Please help.
THX for all

kloner

Aerial DP
definitely use a bec

my light goes solid at one point and flashes another but i never noted what was what. i'd feel around for something coming apart... a servo will start to draw massive ammounts of current when they start to break or if there is a bind. new servos are $20,,,,