SkyJib/AeroDrive 8 Crash Video

I tried the Turnigy Plush 60 (re-branded HW FlyFun) with the Orbit 15-20. They work ok but are slow making a SJ8 with WKm almost unflyable.

Why would you spend the money on expensive motors and then get inferior quality esc's?

Get AXi 2826 Or Tiger motor equivalent instead and with the money saved buy Castle Phoenix Ice esc's.

JLO

Gentleman we have what we have for now and until all of this great ideas happen like manuals real REAL testing with different ESC /motor combinations by the manufactures.WITH REAL ON THE FIELD RESEARCH AND SHEARING OF DATA we all are going to be in this hit and miss, success... and crash thing, I notice and it frustrated me so much that the dealer of my motors only did tests with one ESC manufacture.... MK, and the testing and results kept on changing way after I purchase this suppose "Design and made for MR motors, to my surprise he did not have testing info on the other 2 popular emerging and out there ESC combos on the market for larger Copters, like SJ8, I live in the US I don't speak German, and to this day I believe trough my insisting emails I got my motor dealer to talk, yes talk and communicate with my ESC manufacture and exchange technical info, so this components can work together....or NOT... ironically they both speak german, this happened because my ESC dealer half way into my build told me NOT to use his ESC with the motors that I had, that I was going to burn them or burn the motors , it also frustrate me the trickle email recommendations kept changing and changing from both dealer and the manufacture after I bought and bought the recommended components. by the way recently my motor dealer show on this thread a video of a very successful flight using his motors after me and others vented out our frustrations, he told on this forum that he was going to shear his MK settings with his motors but on a email to all "Dear Customers" he change his mind and only offer to replace to lower size props that the manufacture of the motors recommends pretty much F.......y......all so if thats the case WHY I bought motors that are not suitable for a large heavy copter or why I bough ESC that are not suitable for a large heavy copter, or why there is no shearing of the correct information by the ones that take our money so newbies like me or experts like Dktek don't have so disastrous results.

Sorry guys I had to vent it out I mean no disrespect to anyone

Last edited by a moderator:

JLO

I am wetting my shorts in nervousness for my maiden flight this coming weekend using the MK and Herkules SETTINGS that I have gather, scavenging trough the internet I have studied and re studied to UNDERSTAND, I hope I do OK by the way if any one wants to share some proven settings with Plettys 15-20, MK electronics, Herkules ESC boards, on a Sk8 combination I would greatly appreciate it
thank you

Well since Castle has been working hard the last few months to create a multirotor specific firmware I find that your Castle dealer should contact base and get debriefed. :nevreness:
4.01 is specifically made for multirotors. A throttle change of 50% can be made in 0.08s.
Only thing wrong about them is their price. But you get over it when you start collecting the logs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on1DH-Kd9rQ&feature=channel&list=UL

I can confirm the 4.01 has the mutli-rotor beta software but have not tried it yet, I have some smaller Castle ESC to try on my Xaircraft/Wookong which I intend to try out but with the weather being so nice I am reluctant to pull it apart for no reason.

I have updated the software and chosen the Multi-rotor option etc... I will post with the results.

CineRebel

Has anybody tried these with Plettenberg 15-20's on a Skyjib 8 (or similar)? Are they robust enough?

(Hobbywing FlyFun-60A-OPTO)
http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=198

Hi Vispaaja ,

I Have tried them just once and then we had crash (notting to do with esc! just a human error) I know jules in UK have been using them too and he was quite happy with it! I switched to Hobbywing Platinum 40A after our crash and with the new firmware we had amazing results! rock steady in 20 km/hr winds. The only thing I am worried is that the ESC's felt quite hot after a 14 min flight! I am thinking of changing my ESC's to the platinum 60A.

Or maybe someone else has a better idea?

This is my setup:

SKYJIB 8
DJI WKM + Waypoint
Plettenberg 15-20
Hobbywing Platinum 40A
2x Maxamp 5S 11000 mah

cheers

CineRebel

Hi Redridinghood,

The point of having Plettenberg is not just power!

It's having almost no vibration in your image and more than 1,2 kg less weight to carry on!

We have had amazing results with HW platinum 40A, but i think i will go for the 60 or 70 amp version just to be safe!

cheers

JLO

Thanks Cinerebel for the info and offer but in my case with a SK8 Plettys 15-20 I too would choose the 60 Amps to be safer plus is it correct that the 60 Ams have a heat dissipation all ready built around them
also did you have to select any special settings on the programing of your 40 Amp platinum pro for multirotor use
thanks

CineRebel

Thanks Cinerebel for the info and offer but in my case with a SK8 Plettys 15-20 I too would choose the 60 Amps to be safer plus is it correct that the 60 Ams have a heat dissipation all ready built around them
also did you have to select any special settings on the programing of your 40 Amp platinum pro for multirotor use
thanks

Hi JLO

My HW flyfun esc's are 60A the only thing you need is a programming card which I can get for you! they cost about 40 euros each if you want them I can sell al 10 peaces for 175 euros.

Yeah if you want to go with the platinum serie they have a aluminum casing which is better for cooling, you have to change your battery type to NiCd and set the low voltage protection as low as possible! you need the USB link to do so.

A few minutes agoI spoke to castle creation technical support and they confirmed that their beta firmware 4.01 is suitable for multirotors, it's quite expensive but i like the data log option (you can see how many amps you have been using on each ESC)!

I am kinda stuck between the Hobbywing Platinum 60 and Castle Phoenix Ice 75...

cheers

JLO

redridinghood mention that the Castle Phoenix Ice 75 are pricey that is US $119 each x8 =US$952 but if you consider that the Herkules boards are US$ 547.50 each board with 4 ESC 2 x 547.50 =US$ 1095, and the Aerodrive with 8 ESC is about US$1878.00 by the way this last two are 40amp max and are having issues running the high end heavy lift motors....but you know guys they look good on the copter, very simetrical, very clean, very little wires bla bla bla

CineRebel

redridinghood mention that the Castle Phoenix Ice 75 are pricey that is US $119 each x8 =US$952 but if you consider that the Herkules boards are US$ 547.50 each board with 4 ESC 2 x 547.50 =US$ 1095, and the Aerodrive with 8 ESC is about US$1878.00 by the way this last two are 40amp max and are having issues running the high end heavy lift motors....but you know guys they look good on the copter, very simetrical, very clean, very little wires bla bla bla

I know ,, thats exactly why i didnt go for aerodrive! I had ordered one ,, after 3 months still notting!
the hobbywing are so far the best working ESC's as i have read on forums! i had goo experience with them so far .. so the difference 60A model costs around 49 euro and CC ice 75 amps twice that ,,, I am already way over my budget and just thinking will I see a big different between them ?? my results with the HW platinum 40 amp are fantastic! I am just concerned about them getting too hot!

and my other problem is i cant find a dealer for CC in europe .. maybe you know one!

thanx

JLO

Hi Cinerebel I am in the US I dont know a dealer in europe sorry I am sure CC would have someone in Europe, I know to have them ship from the US is more $ but....on the other hand consider this:
If we are going to use the copters for filming and we are going to make money the cost of quality components to me is not that important as long as I can pay it and as long as the components perform wright and allow me to concentrate and perform in a pro way on the filming part, this is a very unique and exiting specialization in aerial video where a way of living is possible a full time profession can be accomplish
also look at it from the point of redundancy 40A vs 60A on a paying job you want as much redundancy as possible

jrlederer

Hey guys, just wanted to follow up on a response by redridinghood who proposed the possibility of me changing to WKM and then using CC Ice 75A (would the Icev2's be recommended even further?). In fact, I ended up buying an entire WKM w/ Waypoint and ground station/telemetry setup after thinking long and hard about what to do, after being caught totally off guard by th recent saddening events that have she'd some light on the poor investment decisions I made when deciding on Aerodrive and Pletty combination for my SJ8. To that end, Irwin I also happen to have in my workshop (I am like a hoarder of gadgets--it's becoming a problem, really) at hand, if someone proposes a known-to-be-working combination of all that's available currently, a Hoverfly Pro+GPS, 2xAerodrive 8's, 2xHerkulesII v4, MK FC 2.1ME w/ MKNavi2.0 + GPS, and batteries of essentially all desirable dimensions and cell count. Anybody able to propose the best way to utilize what I've got in an effort to NOT replicate the absolute heartache associated with such depressing events as occurred with brother DKTek's rig? My deepest condolences, by the way. I am prepared to help, in any way possible, in your efforts to obtain proper service & support during this period of uncertainty. If there's anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask. I sincerely hope there's something that can be done to resolve or workaround the issues you discovered the unfortunate way.

Sincerely,
Jonathan

cryhavoc38

Quadrammit!!
I would strongly suggest that if you wish to use the Hobbywing speedo's, that you use the better Platinum Pro version.
Much faster cpu internally, better user programming options and they are firmware updateable.

I use 8 of the 40amp Platinum Pro's in an AD8hle and 6 of them in an AD6
they work wonderfully and allow you to change the pwm to 12khz which also has a benefit of reducing the awefull motor whine that you get with a slower pwm that the standard flyfun/pentiums use.

CineRebel

Well just to be on the safe side this time .... I ordered Castle Phoenix Ice 75 this time ...

I have my HW platinum 40A on sales for everyone who uses a smaller motor! I can send them to you pre-soldered on AWG10 powerdistribution cable for used with 2 batteries. I also have have a USB link for FW update and 2 new esc's!

cheers

jrlederer

Just out of curiosity, any reason for not opting for the Ice v2's? Chalk it up to ignorance on my part but I am uninformed as to the differences that have been made and whether or not they have any potential pros or cons for our intended usage.

CineRebel

Just out of curiosity, any reason for not opting for the Ice v2's? Chalk it up to ignorance on my part but I am uninformed as to the differences that have been made and whether or not they have any potential pros or cons for our intended usage.

The v2 is a high voltage model, it's for 6 to 15S lipos! There is no advantage to use them with 5 cell lipo. You're just adding extra weight!

jrlederer

Just out of curiosity, as I have not heard of any such solution, but in the single-rotor domain there are much higher regarded ESCs than Castle Creations--for example Kontronics Jive & Jazz (though the prices certainly imply they better be killer at nearly 2-4x the price!!), but unfortunately for MR use I don't believe, though I may well be mistaken, that these particular controllers would be appropriate for use as one of the major incentives of these is how well their RPM governor holds throughout the changing voltage during a flight. That being said, is there possibly a different high-end solution for fixed throttle end points that might be being overlooked due to not being within limits of a reasonable budget that would power the gargantuan motors that I currently have more than a dozen of?? I am convinced that there's gotta be a way to put these to effective use and not just be a bad residual taste in my mouth for being impulsive enough to fall for a misleading sales pitch.

Thanks everyone for any ideas that lead to success in my quest to not be a dumbass.

Jonathan

jrlederer

Odd, either no-one is reading this thread or no one has any clue or ideas that might lend a helping hand? Must be a cold day in h*ll as usually someone chimes in for a fellow pilot in need. Hopefully this will change by the time I wake up. Its 3:30 Los Angeles time and I gotta get some shut eye. Goodnight to all and thank ou, in advance, for your time and generosity in helping to determine a method to t least salvage a poor impulse-buying decision based on what appears to have been a whole lotta talk. Ultimately, I would be so happy to disprove this last statement, as this company does have a reputation for well-made motors, unless I am totally mistaken...

Good night!

--jonathan