Hoverfly SimonK firm with the HFP

Aerovideo

I have some on a frame I just modified, I've only done test hovers so far. It seems to fly just fine but the escs themselves get a little warm.

Photronix

Pilot
The response isn't any better than Turnigy Plush or Castle Creations. You shouldn't notice a difference with SimonK. But if you try it post your thoughts.

Photronix

Pilot
Unfortunately, this is only useful if the propeller has no mass or drag. The best you can really do with your average 12" prop and motor is about 30Hz variation in RPM. A 10,000hz update rate isn't any better than a 100Hz with most propellers. If it was actually possible to update the rotational rate of the propeller at 600Hz then for an average setup at hover this would be 6 changes in speed on a single rotation. A good flight controller shouldn't need this fast of an update if it does (i.e., only works well with small propellers) then the control algorithm aint too smaart (Boston accent).

I've argued enough about it on many other threads..... if it works for you then it works for me.

kloner

Aerial DP
so by that theory theres no difference on a hfp that a 50hz or a 600hz esc makes?

what if you flew with 8" props?

Last edited by a moderator:

Photronix

Pilot
Correct. We have used everything from 1.5" to 21". Now it used to be that the CC firmware before 4.01 cutoff about 20 Hz. This is too slow and as a result flight was very unstable. Best results are when the arms are twice the length of the prop diameter. This has more to do with the flight controller rather than the RPM but its a good rule of thumb for HFP. My comment about smaller propellers was directed at DJI controllers which is why people have trouble trying to fly bigger than 5lb payloads.

Aerovideo

I haven't really noticed any difference between the simonk and normal escs myself. I think they make the motors more quiet but other than that they seem to fly the same.

ross_badger

I've found that the SimonK ESCs are quieter and seem to be slightly more responsive than the stock Plush 30's with the Hoverfly Pro board. The quieter part is certainly true, but the responsiveness may be all in my head.....lol.

Ross

Photo Elevate

Gravity always wins!!!
Ross

Do you think that the simonK ESCs are pre set to a greater timing setting medium or high (which we can all do ourselves with standard ESCs) as opposed to the low setting most of us use.

This could account for quieter more responsive actions. I note that apart from throttle calibration there are no user adjustments available on the reflashed ESCs.

I am tempted to try some simon k flashed ESCs if the consensus is, they are better than standard plush 30A

What are your thoughts?

Jackella

Well i changed from Turnigy plush and Hobbywing on both my aerobatic quad and FPV quad.Both fly quieter,motors seemed to spin smoother,better stabilty hovering in the wind,more responsive on the sticks and generally i just feel more in control,would never go back to 'stock' escs.

i got mine from here.
http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

just for the record i'm using a Naza and a KK2 1.2 firmware with my SimonK Ecs..

Last edited by a moderator:

Photronix

Pilot
The best test, if someone wants to take the time, is to put Turnigy on one axis and SimonK on the other. Then fly and see if you notice a difference along once axis in terms of stability. I am willing to send someone a $100 coupon to use in the Hoverfly Store if someone will try it and post video results.

PaNt

The best test, if someone wants to take the time, is to put Turnigy on one axis and SimonK on the other. Then fly and see if you notice a difference along once axis in terms of stability. I am willing to send someone a $100 coupon to use in the Hoverfly Store if someone will try it and post video results.

Lol it will be great... i am w8ing to see the results...!

As you see HF doesnt have time for tests..>! what are you going to release ?? :) :) :) tell us....!

ross_badger

Al, I would try this, but I sold all of my stock Turnigy Plush ESCs and replaced them with F-30A flashed with SimonK firmware......;)

ross_badger

Ross

Do you think that the simonK ESCs are pre set to a greater timing setting medium or high (which we can all do ourselves with standard ESCs) as opposed to the low setting most of us use.

This could account for quieter more responsive actions. I note that apart from throttle calibration there are no user adjustments available on the reflashed ESCs.

I am tempted to try some simon k flashed ESCs if the consensus is, they are better than standard plush 30A

What are your thoughts?

As I understand it, the SimonK firmware takes out all the filtering and averaging in the ESC and basically makes it respond faster to multirotor commands.

"Standard ESCs are actually not designed for multirotor applications. They are programmed to increase and decrease the throttle command towards the motor in a gentle way. The reason for this is quite obvious. Imagine a motor accelerating and decelerating so abruptly in a helicopter or car... it would damage the gears and reductions in no time. In a multirotor application, we really want just the opposite. The goal is to change the motor speed, and thus the thrust, as fast as possible to achieve a perfectly stable platform.

While the current ESCs used in most multrotor applications work considerably well, there is a lot of room for improvement. Using the same ESC, but loading it with dedicated optimized software, will increase the handling and stability of your multirotor greatly."

from http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/RapidESCs

Ross

I'm curious to see the results of this as well. I've been using Turnigy Plush (and just ordered more), but I've wondered if the CC ESCs with their multirotor firmware or the SimonK's would be even more stable...

I would be happy to give this a go if my TBS ESC's come in any time soon. I think they are having some supply issues so I am sure somone will beat me to the punch. I just flashed the CC ICE 50 with their newer firmware and that quad flies really nice and silky. Totaly different sound than the Turnigy Plush ESC's. If I had the coin I would convert all of my ships to CC. However I have yet to use Simon K.

cheers
mike