Quinton

So many replies! Gosh!

This is the first time I have used Adobe Premier Pro so just need to figure it out. I signed up for the 'Cloud' membership so have access to everything Adobe.

Not sure how much you are paying, but after the first year it does go up to £38 per month and you "must" take it out for another 12 months after that or cancel.
Just wish you could just buy software, software as a service I personally hate.
If you have a really good computer I would also check out the free Davinci Resolve Lite (If your graphics card is up to it)

So many replies! Gosh!

Not sure where to start. I film at 25fps and export at 25fps. On my PC everything is awesome. Just uploading to Vimeo and YouTube causes this problem. Reduced the Vimeo one to 720p and appears much better. This is the first time I have used Adobe Premier Pro so just need to figure it out. I signed up for the 'Cloud' membership so have access to everything Adobe.

The great thing about Vimeo is you can replace the video at will!

Regarding colour correction, haven't done any and need too. I'll work on it today and post a reedit for critiquing.

Someone mentioned the GH4. It's only 10 grams heavier than the GH3, so all good! I'm still on the GH2 so way behind the techy gadget crowd.

Music! I hate trying to find music! A mate wanted me to use that track and I personally love it. But it is a little overpowering for the kind of shots I'm using.

Steve, you mentioned something about shutter angle and I wasn't sure what you meant. I almost always use a shutter speed of 200 (i'm not very imaginative) as most of my stuff involves motion of some kind, and I don't like motion blur (don't shoot me!).

It's also my first time using After Effects. **** it's complicated!!! Each second takes me about a day of head banging!

Keep the helpful advice coming! I'm putting all comments into action right now and seeing what happens.

Cheers!

Ben, sorry I wasn't trying to confuse but a shutter angle of 180 is the aim. This translates to a shutter speed of 1/50 sec if you are at 25fps. Your shutter speed of 200 is why the rotating wind turbines look a bit choppy. If you don't like motion blur then that's absolutely fine.

I know what you mean about 720 in Vimeo. Though you can upgrade to 1080p I often find it better to prepare the upload at 720p and not bother with 1080 mostly.

subpar

Ben, what Steve is basically trying to say that you need to drag the shutter a bit. A really good rule of thumb is to choose a shutter speed that is twice the frame rate that you are using. So like Steve stated if you've decided on 25fps, then your shutter speed should be 1/50th.... If you decide to shoot at 60fps, then it should be 1/120th... You will need a good ND filter to accomplish this in sunny conditions.

Chris

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Yeah, I get it now. I find multiples of twice the frame rate work also, hence why I landed on 200.

I'm uploading a 720p version to Vimeo now to see what difference that makes. I tried to correct the brightness in the 'countryside nook' scene but have made it worse I think. More work to do!

I pay £46 a month for Adobe Cloud membership as I am a new user with no previous versions of the software. Boo! Still seems like a good deal compared to buying those 20 odd programs individually. I will have a look at the DaVinci resolve and see what happens.

Quinton

Yeah, I get it now. I find multiples of twice the frame rate work also, hence why I landed on 200.

I'm uploading a 720p version to Vimeo now to see what difference that makes. I tried to correct the brightness in the 'countryside nook' scene but have made it worse I think. More work to do!

I pay £46 a month for Adobe Cloud membership as I am a new user with no previous versions of the software. Boo! Still seems like a good deal compared to buying those 20 odd programs individually. I will have a look at the DaVinci resolve and see what happens.

If you look at the Invoice you will see its 46 Euro/month which is £38/month with no VAT added, as it from Southern Ireland.
Problem is once you start to use it, you have to stick with it for good otherwise you wont be able to edit any of your previous work.
Its OK if you are editing all the time with it, but 552 Euros every year is quite a chunk for video editing, especially for an individual.
BTW I also loved the opening shot, I thought it was actually some kind of effect until you tilted up.

I wouldn't bother with Davinci unless you have a GTX or equivalent graphics card as it wont work.

Benjamin Kenobi

I'm pretty sure my computer would just say 'no way' and walk off. I think I'll stick to what I know for now. I thought £552 sounded alright. You can pay that off in half a days work with this aerial stuff. Which reminds me, must go and look for work!

Benjamin Kenobi

Okay, so after replacing the video half a dozen times today this one seems to be the best:

Alas I exported so many I can't remember what settings I used. Had enough of looking at the bloody thing to be honest! I'm already sick of my showreel. Gonna go out flying tomorrow and see what new stuff I can find.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chadfish

Yes the norm is to have the shutter speed be two times the frame rate. I shoot in 60fps, so my shutter is 120 (125 on my NEX-5r). Does vimeo and youtube do pal settings of 25 or 50 fps?

Benjamin Kenobi

Thanks Chad. I'll try again!

I see you're in Arcata California. Lovely place! My cousin still lives there (he's called Bodhi). I lived in Trinity county for a couple of years. Absolutely loved it! Talk about the great outdoors!

Vipe

Our newest practise session with Lumix GH3. "Tehdassaari" means factory island.

Javajack

Java Post Aerial Photo
Hmmmmm, what do you do in terms of aircraft when flying at such altitudes? Any concerns about encountering one? I'm not here to be the transport regulator or police but we always try and fly safely, keeping our unit out of aircraft air space, communicating with the tower to inform them of our whereabouts and stay beneath 300 feet or so. For commercial work we have to file for flight permits in Canada.

Chadfish

Thanks Chad. I'll try again!

I see you're in Arcata California. Lovely place! My cousin still lives there (he's called Bodhi). I lived in Trinity county for a couple of years. Absolutely loved it! Talk about the great outdoors!

Hi Ben, Yes it's absolutely beautiful out here in the Pacific NorthWest. Just as an experiment, does my vimeo video stutter at all? I have upgraded the file to 1080p, rather than the default 720p. It may just be that my computer's graphic card can't handle the video. This is just a little GoPro Hero3+.

tonyh0905

Hmmmmm, what do you do in terms of aircraft when flying at such altitudes? Any concerns about encountering one? I'm not here to be the transport regulator or police but we always try and fly safely, keeping our unit out of aircraft air space, communicating with the tower to inform them of our whereabouts and stay beneath 300 feet or so. For commercial work we have to file for flight permits in Canada.

Not sure if your comment was meant for me, but if so the highest point of this flight was 202ft. Maybe you misunderstood the title, it was over 2000ft horizontal. I am always vigilant for full size aircraft.
Cheers

Benjamin Kenobi

Hey Chad,

No stutter as far as I can see. Vimeo always stutters a little during motion when I watch it full screen on my wonderful PC, but it's not bad. On my iPhone it looks awesome though! Is mine still doing it? It seems fine on my computer now (just about). I've unchecked the 'keyframes' box that is automatically selected as the stutter seemed to be happening at the same rate the keyframes were set too. No idea why?!

I once slept on that large rock in your video! There may have been some mushrooms involved....