tombrown1

Here's our new showreel, shot with GH2, GH3 and 5D :). Comments welcome

Great video! You've done quite a bit of flying. I have to say that I had to turn the sound off after the drums came in. I guess people tend to like that music, but I don't really like it for aerials. I liked your coloring and post work. Showreels are tough - I personally think you should put the majority of your best stuff in the beginning - especially since you have a long reel. Maybe save one or two good shots for the end - but I think it's important to frontload things. I think there are some really good shots in the second half that could have gone earlier.

Just my .02 Great work.

TB

Last edited by a moderator:

Av8Chuck

This is an impressive reel not only because of some great shots but equally for its variety of shots but I agree with what TB said that you should front load your real with the really compelling shots.

I liked your use of variable speed, the editing flows well but I think it would be better if you cut some of the sequences down, especially the first off road car sequence. I like how you incorporate some of the ground shots but I'd lose a few of those, that alone would tighten the edit by 4 or 5 seconds. There's an establishing shot at about .34 seconds where your flying down a path towards the building that in the next shot you flyover, I get why its there but its not immediately obvious that its an aerial shot and I think you lose it altogether if not shorten it quite a bit. I'd also lose the shot immediately after that sequence, approximately 1:00 of the quad on the pavement, its cool how the guy is driving but the shot is flat especially since the following shots of the quads in the trees is similar subject matter and so much better.

Not sure why you included shots of people walking in the snow and apparently digging a whole in the ice, not a great shots, again, especially when you have great footage on the ice immediately after that. Not sure what your using to color grade but the snow in that sequence is very cool blue and when you shoot towards the sunset its much warmer which is how it would be but there's such a drastic difference it appears like the white balance is off in the blue shots, you might consider balancing that a bit.

Finally, you have all this great footage then out of nowhere you have this superimposition at about 2:06 it seems out of place. If part of your sales strategy is to include your equipment then make the shots of your MR as compelling as the rest of your shots and put that at the end. People want to know what you can do more than they want to know what equipment you used to get it but including a few shots of your equipment can be beneficial if done well.

I hope you take this advice in the spirit that I give it, I think your aerial is very good and although this reel is well done I don't think it represents your aerial as well is it should. Since I do a lot of aerial I know how hard it is and I know when I see good work but if I didn't I'm not sure this reel would convince me that you do. That also kinds of depends on who your target audience is and how you leverage it. Also don't get me wrong, this is a very good reel, its just my opinion that with what you have to work with it could be much better. Of coarse that's just my opinion and that's probably not worth the time it took to type this.

Keep up the good work.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Great subject material leads to a very exceptional AV......The music suggests the castle is in Scotland yet your location is identified as Czech Republic.

Javajack

Java Post Aerial Photo
Here are a couple of vignettes being aired on local television shortly. So you know, we are in Canada and we are currently experiencing a cold snap and it's -30 celsius outside right now and everyone is sick and tired of winter, so our summer vignettes really make people anxious for it to be summer again. Here are a couple of vignettes of our city:
https://vimeo.com/84433452
https://vimeo.com/84434543

tombrown1

Here are a couple of vignettes being aired on local television shortly. So you know, we are in Canada and we are currently experiencing a cold snap and it's -30 celsius outside right now and everyone is sick and tired of winter, so our summer vignettes really make people anxious for it to be summer again. Here are a couple of vignettes of our city:
https://vimeo.com/84433452
https://vimeo.com/84434543

Looks great Jack! Can't wait to see more.

xerofly

Kamasutra 3D made a proud entry at the contention list of the 86th Academy Awards, with selection in the three categories – Best Motion Picture , Original Score and Original Song with 5 songs

im12

White Sands New Mexico a couple weeks ago. 1000mm Airtechno octo, Wookong M, 3 axis brushless gimbal, Alexmos. Shot on a Sony NEX 5.

im12

So True.

Quite an effort to go to and not bother to clean the sensor/lens. Tut, tut.
We spend so much time on the complex stuff only to be messed over with the simplest of things. Lesson learned. I've been kicking myself ever since. How do you keep crap off your lens when taking off in sand or forest or similar?