ZAxis

A couple of recent projects we've been involved with...

Lec & Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

Av8Chuck

Cool videos, great use of aerial. Not sure what the explosions where for but hey, anytime you can blow stuff up has to be a good day!

Chadfish

Here is a nice vid I shot on Thanksgiving morning last week. Conditions were perfect, and the landscape at Houda Point was amazing.

Ray Bahas

Here is a nice vid I shot on Thanksgiving morning last week. Conditions were perfect, and the landscape at Houda Point was amazing.]

Thumbs up and hat down ! Beautiful aerial motion and awesome angles to reflect the spirit of this dramatic landscape. And all of it supported with adequate sound track.
Love it and blessed you are to live around such wonderful environment.

BTW, where is Houda Point located on the Map ? Pardon my ignorance.

ZAxis

thanks Anthem. The full film should be out later this week. Just seen a raw edit & im pretty happy with it. Was a great trip.
Lec

Chadfish

Here is a nice vid I shot on Thanksgiving morning last week. Conditions were perfect, and the landscape at Houda Point was amazing.]

Thumbs up and hat down ! Beautiful aerial motion and awesome angles to reflect the spirit of this dramatic landscape. And all of it supported with adequate sound track.
Love it and blessed you are to live around such wonderful environment.
BTW, where is Houda Point located on the Map ? Pardon my ignorance.

Hi Ray, thanks a lot. Houda Point is near Trinidad, California - way up north near Eureka. Here's a page with a map: https://plus.google.com/102849537113268852221/about?gl=us&hl=en (A little south where it says "Houda Cove")
It really is a beautiful place. All the beaches are like this up in Humboldt County!

GmeisteR

Hey Chad, I have been following you on youtube for over a year now, great work btw...but I was wondering how do you shoot your gopro while facing the sun? mine always gets these like black waves that run horizontal across my footage. Normal happens when the sun is around 10-25 degrees off to one side of the camera. when facing directly at the sun, for some reason it does not happen. Any imput would be amazing ! Im guessing your SRP filters is what stops this from happening ?

Chadfish

Hi GmeisteR,

Thanks! Yes the ND filters help kill any jello, but also shooting at 60fps also helps. It seems that when the sun is low and going straight into the lens I've gotten jello even with the filter. I've been using the Teffen .9ND on sunny days and that's been working. You've probably seen this, but this is a video I made testing out the efficacy of the filters. I shot this on an untuned quad with no gimbal. I also was doing steep dives to get those vibrations going strong.

GmeisteR

Yeah jello is not really my issue as I use the zenmuse for the GoPro hero 3, the black waves Look almost like shadowing that are horizontal and scroll either up or down like what you would see on an old tube TV. any ideas? I could upload a short clip to my youtube if needed...

Av8Chuck

Yeah jello is not really my issue as I use the zenmuse for the GoPro hero 3, the black waves Look almost like shadowing that are horizontal and scroll either up or down like what you would see on an old tube TV. any ideas? I could upload a short clip to my youtube if needed...

Its the sunlight going through the props casting a shadow on the lens. In a sense adding a polarizer on the case of the GoPro is like adding a lens shade. You could test this easily enough by creating a small lens hood out of tape, you'll probably have to shoot on medium wide.

You can lower the whole gimbal or don't fly at an angle where the sun will cast a shadow on the camera.

Chadfish

I'd have to see video to be sure, but you may be getting a shadow of the props hitting the lens making what I call "prop flutter". The BlurFix also helps with that because it acts as a sun shade.

PilotMan

That looks like a couple things. It could be the sunlight going through the propellers casting a shadow on the lens causing lens flare that is modulated.

The other possibility is it is frame vibration being transferred to the camera causing the lens flare to modulate.

But it's one of the two for sure.
Here is the Video of the black lines.
GoPro Hero 3 Black Settings :
1080 @60p
Auto White Balance
FoV : Medium
Protune On
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoL6E2vYHR8&feature=youtu.be

rolf65

Sunset outside Stavanger - Norway

Late afternoon on the beach.

DJI F550 hexacopter