Show us what you shot.

jes1111

Surprising how quickly the tilt-shift effect has become tired.
I'm glad somebody else said it first ;-)

I wish we could alter the tone of this thread from "please slap me on the back" to "please tell me how this image could be better". Somebody tried to start a "critique my pictures" thread recently, but it doesn't seem to have taken root. I'm a long-time architecture/interiors photographer and I participated for a several years on a Flickr group where peer review functioned well (not always the case on Flickr). As such I found it immensely useful to receive constructive criticism of my own work and, in exchange, I spent considerable time helping others (itself a great way to understand your own work better). It's an easily observed peculiarity of this AP business that there seems to be a preponderance of RC-bods who are anything but photographers, some experienced photographers who struggle with the RC side of it but, sadly, precious few who have both sides of it nailed.

So why aren't we giving/receiving critique here? Would anybody be offended if it was offered? After all, an image is an image - how it was obtained should be irrelevant. It's either a good, effective image or it isn't. Most photographers are blind to the merits (or otherwise) of their own work - not surprising since you can never see it with fresh eyes.

ghaynes

MF, yep ain't it the truth. As I laugh all the way to the bank with the sales from the image. They had a choice of the straight image and this one. So my wallet likes tired...:)

tstrike

pendejo grande
First off, nice pic, I like the tilt shift lens effect (which I'm assuming you did in post since tilt shift lenses weigh a buttload), it brings the viewer to the part of the picture you want highlighted, that building setting there in the middle of nowhere needed something to spice it up. It would have been cool to have some cars in the parking lot and maybe some humanoids on the sidewalk to give scale but that's just me. Cash that check dude!

Stacky

Context has an impact. Someone may post an image in here which we might think is out of fashion or not that innovative of exciting or beautiful but that image may have been used in a particular brochure or magazine or online presentation where it helps with the style, mood and informing of where its being used.

jes1111

Gary, I understand you exactly. But I would suggest that long-term success as a photographer comes from the quality of your output. You work for Client A, Client B sees it and gives you more work. The more that happens, the more you can raise your prices. By the time you're able to ask for the true commercial value of your images (check sources like GettyImages if you're not familiar) as recompense for their production then, by definition, your audience will be a great deal more sophisticated.

Not trying to come down hard on you here - I just think its healthy to discuss the quality of the final result in these forums as much as the technical means of getting them.

ghaynes

Jes, couldn't agree with you more about quality of the output. This image was not something I normally do. I am primarily a landscape photographer with prints from 24x36 inches to 36x108. So the images need to be technically perfect to hold up to those large sizes. So far I've been pretty happy with the NEX-7. Just starting to test flying the weight of the Hasselblad. Got into copters to get a different perspective on landscape images, something like a very tall tripod. Get a kick out of flying the CS and my commercial heli license really shortened the learning curve, yet still a lot to learn. That's why this forum is so valuable.

TStrike, yes post in Photoshop with OnOne Software Focalpoint. Building was brand new and no had yet moved in.

jes1111

:) Well, at least you didn't offer them a grunge-HDR option ;-)

A flying Hassy would be cool. I've got my eye on a Nikon D800 for this work but I need to investigate a bit more (my current production kit is mostly Canon). I'd also like to fly a tilt/shift lens (but for the shift facility only - I'm obsessive about correct perspective) - servo-driven shift would be a great tool.

Getting down to the nitty-gritty on that image - my main issue with it is not actually the focus effect (which is somewhat overdone, btw) but the angle and the resulting twisted perspective. Going "straight on" to a building (inside or outside) requires precise positioning of the camera, i.e. "nearly square" is usually a weak image. Obviously tricky to achieve from a flying platform (a problem that has occupied my mind for some time), so you either have to be a wizard with the perspective tools in Photoshop or machine-gun it in the hope of hitting one or more shots "dead on". More likely a combination of the two.

Mind you - as subjects go, that's one DULL building ;-)

DennyR

:) Well, at least you didn't offer them a grunge-HDR option ;-)

A flying Hassy would be cool. I've got my eye on a Nikon D800 for this work but I need to investigate a bit more (my current production kit is mostly Canon). I'd also like to fly a tilt/shift lens (but for the shift facility only - I'm obsessive about correct perspective) - servo-driven shift would be a great tool.

Getting down to the nitty-gritty on that image - my main issue with it is not actually the focus effect (which is somewhat overdone, btw) but the angle and the resulting twisted perspective. Going "straight on" to a building (inside or outside) requires precise positioning of the camera, i.e. "nearly square" is usually a weak image. Obviously tricky to achieve from a flying platform (a problem that has occupied my mind for some time), so you either have to be a wizard with the perspective tools in Photoshop or machine-gun it in the hope of hitting one or more shots "dead on". More likely a combination of the two.

Mind you - as subjects go, that's one DULL building ;-)

I have been reading quite a number of negative reports on the D800 for use in aerial photography. I don't have one so I cant comment myself.

DennyR

I'm glad somebody else said it first ;-)

I wish we could alter the tone of this thread from "please slap me on the back" to "please tell me how this image could be better". Somebody tried to start a "critique my pictures" thread recently, but it doesn't seem to have taken root. I'm a long-time architecture/interiors photographer and I participated for a several years on a Flickr group where peer review functioned well (not always the case on Flickr). As such I found it immensely useful to receive constructive criticism of my own work and, in exchange, I spent considerable time helping others (itself a great way to understand your own work better). It's an easily observed peculiarity of this AP business that there seems to be a preponderance of RC-bods who are anything but photographers, some experienced photographers who struggle with the RC side of it but, sadly, precious few who have both sides of it nailed.

So why aren't we giving/receiving critique here? Would anybody be offended if it was offered? After all, an image is an image - how it was obtained should be irrelevant. It's either a good, effective image or it isn't. Most photographers are blind to the merits (or otherwise) of their own work - not surprising since you can never see it with fresh eyes.

I never did understand why people use this technique in AP. It produces everything that you don't want. I think the term taken through the bottom of a milk bottle comes to mind. Never heard of a publisher who bought a picture like this. Sorry, just an opinion based on a little experience in this business and not any artistically related usage.

Right on Jes. Most people only comment on what they think is good, if at all. Constructive comments from all aspects is the way for everyone to improve. If you cant take the knocks then don't.................

One of the most obvious facts that I have seen over the years is that although a good background in photography is essential if you want to become a cameraman or director the first attempts are usually poorly executed. Overuse of the zoom button and hose piping being the main mistakes. A proper professional training in camera work can make a lot of difference. The two are in reality worlds apart. IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I was really only commenting on the TS effect itself, not so much the photo subject - although I entirely agree with Jes1111 that the TS bokeh effect has been somewhat over-exaggerated and that the chosen angle is too square, but then again, with such a dull building it is an art to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.

I too TS bokeh'd everything in sight until I quickly became bored with the miniaturisation effect. Extreme TS bokeh in video still has some legs left in it.

Anyway, if that was a commission and the client liked it enough to pay for it then fair enough. Good job well done.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I don't mind criticism. It's definitely a good and useful thing, so long as it's not used in a 'look how clever and smart I am compared to you - I know how you did that and it's easy' sort of way, and if the person can offer tips and useful ideas of how to make the picture better, that would be brilliant.

JAZCAM

Ok, I'm going to throw one our there shot in Bangkok. It's only one frame of a panoramic shoot (using our custom panoramic gimbal). Just a show... Agreed.. not enough photo/video pros also have the tech and RC down. Use to do photography, been flying RC (everything) for 30 years. Trying to pull it all together.

View attachment 4541

Attachments

• BkkOnNutStation1.jpg
    BkkOnNutStation1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 173

jes1111

JazCam - hi :)

Interesting subject matter, for sure. But... those sloping horizons! From an elevated viewpoint the normal rules for perspective can be blurred/relaxed - except (IMHO) for the one about the horizon being horizontal, especially when it's water! Furthermore, the GoPro curve on the horizon is a huge distraction for me.

On a more subtle line, personally I'd show a bit more sky above Phi Phi Island (in order to give it more context).

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
JazCam - hi :)

Interesting subject matter, for sure. But... those sloping horizons! From an elevated viewpoint the normal rules for perspective can be blurred/relaxed - except (IMHO) for the one about the horizon being horizontal, especially when it's water! Furthermore, the GoPro curve on the horizon is a huge distraction for me.

On a more subtle line, personally I'd show a bit more sky above Phi Phi Island (in order to give it more context).

I agree, a sloping horizon is something I always look for!

Gunter.

ghaynes

Denny can you send a couple of links on the D800? Hadn't seen any negative postings yet and have a 800e on order to try out.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Yep - heavy - but what a lens! I changed from Nikon to Canon just to be able to use it. And I have every intention of flying with it :)
Do you have some kind of servo tweeker system in mind, cuzz every time those f##kers come out on set it's a tweekfest and gawd forbid the camera should get moved-oy vey!! But yes they are saaaweeeet pieces of glass.