Sharing my troubles hoping to help someone out....

hjls3

Ok so I have tossed and turned all day, admittedly even teared up several times. I am not sharing this info with you guys looking for any sympathy. However, I am going to share it with you in hopes it might help someone.

I have logged 63 amazing flights with my AD6, AXI, AV130, NAZA GPS ship that I love. On flight 64 - boom. I have been working really hard to get my video skills up to snuff. My dream is to chase my kids around skiing and snow mobiling. That is the reason I started down this path. With that said, and here is where we can learn - this morning I re-calibrated the FC. I then proceeded to get all excited about capturing some video and trying an editing trick I had just discovered in CS6. My brain was already on the CS6 trick and not on the flight at hand. I should have done a test flight post re-calibration - something simple. I did not. I went right to trying to film the fast moving dynamic shot I had in my head.

What did I learn - any change with the copter needs to be methodically tested. I knew this, but let myself get to excited about capturing the shot. I got ahead of myself. DONT DO THAT!

Flight went like this - lifted off GPS mode, did a low run towards a tree, went to full throttle momentarily to get above tree and tilted gimble, THEN THE PROBLEM, it seemed like 1 or 2 motors stayed full throttle (looking back, that didnt register at the time) - I thought I had some GPS issue and quickly went to ATTI - momentarily seemed like I gained control, but off it went again, this time like I had right stick slammed full left - went back to GPS and hit RTH but it was too late - and kaboom. All of that happened pretty quick as anyone reading this might imagine.

Bright spots - I was flying in a safe place and no one got hurt and I didnt damage anything but the MR. Now that the tears have subsided a bit - I am ok with what I did to try and save the ship. I am sort of pleased my instincts acted as fast as they did. I at least recognized what was about to happen and tried something. Also, this ship normally carries a Canon - today GoPro - in anticipation of my hero3 black arriving this week. FYI card was out of Hero2 when I found it. Video that was being recorded wasnt there upon first look. Im sure its there somewhere but at this point, I am washing my hands of the whole incident and moving forward. Putting full blame on myself for not doing a simple test flight post- re-callibration.

Bottom line though - should have had a nice simple flight that tested the re-callobration and not concentrated on improving my video skills. Maybe the re-callibration had nothing todo with my crash, however, it was totally my fault to not do a test flight and make sure things were up to snuff. Hope that makes sense and helps somebody - another ship - maybe :)

View attachment 7665View attachment 7666View attachment 7667View attachment 7668View attachment 7669View attachment 7670View attachment 7671

Attachments

• IMG_8136.jpg
    IMG_8136.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_8137.jpg
    IMG_8137.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_8138.jpg
    IMG_8138.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_8139.jpg
    IMG_8139.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_8140.jpg
    IMG_8140.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_8141.jpg
    IMG_8141.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_8142.jpg
    IMG_8142.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 213
Last edited by a moderator:

ROVguy

Well said mate and I'm really sorry for your loss, having recovered most of the pieces from last flight 2 weeks ago I know how you feel. Unfortunately I have to wait another 3 weeks before I can commence the craft, and see if I can find out what happened. Sometimes I hate my job :-( Good luck in getting everything rebuilt and trying out the new technique.

Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmurfitt

Sorry to read your story, what a bummer!
Well done for looking at, and dealing with this pragmatically, not easy I know.

kloner

Aerial DP
I'm pretty sure this is the naza thing they do from time to time. Left is a common attitude to take, reving motors is something i've noticed. Think if i had a big ship with nice gear, i'd get something more trustworthy. Naza is a great entry level, super easy to fly but it has problems from time to time. Don't get to down. If a business looses a tool, they re tool and lesson lived, lesson learned. wookong has me so scared, i'm not sure that's the answer either

Sorry my friend, you'll be back up in action in no time one way or the other.

i went forward, pulled back to stop it and it leaned left and locked there....... I've seen that exact thing but once it went right, something naza definately does. amongst three nazas.......

Last edited by a moderator:

hjls3

wow kloner that looked pretty familiar. thanks for the kind words fellas. like kloner stated - i will be back at it soon enough. naza was for sure my weak link there. well that and my newness, but when this ship was built it was what i was really comfty with. lots of hours later - ready to try something else - WKM S800 Z15 probably next. Hopefully all those things have been sorted :)

FYI my sons Kloner450 has already begun its transformation. AXI, Plush, and maybe CC3D (figure I will learn something). BTW she is sore :)

nicwilke

Thats devistating. I'm really sorry to see this. Good luck in your recovery. Are you fixing, or moving on?

hjls3

moving on. probably a different direction than I was planning, but none the less, back in the air soon :) thanks too. BTW your ship is amazing.

Thats devistating. I'm really sorry to see this. Good luck in your recovery. Are you fixing, or moving on?

nicwilke

Having a similar setup, AV130, Hex, stratosnapper and I think you're using JR too, I'm feelin' the pain. I did an update on the YS-X6 lastnight (firmware) and thought I'd do a few flights with no gimbal on tonight. Thanks for the reminder. What motors were you using on your ship?

hjls3

droidworx edition axi - turnigy plush ESC. one motor has issues for sure. that said, moving on with a totally new AP bird. these axi motors will go on a fun backyard thrasher.

Having a similar setup, AV130, Hex, stratosnapper and I think you're using JR too, I'm feelin' the pain. I did an update on the YS-X6 lastnight (firmware) and thought I'd do a few flights with no gimbal on tonight. Thanks for the reminder. What motors were you using on your ship?

nicwilke

droidworx edition axi - turnigy plush ESC. one motor has issues for sure. that said, moving on with a totally new AP bird. these axi motors will go on a fun backyard thrasher.

Got a quote on the AXI DW editions. Nice. I'm resonably happy with the Tmotors so far, but the the AXI's are certainly on the upgrade path. (I'm eligible for 30% discount once off).

hjls3

ok guys so here is another humbling post in hopes to perhaps save someone the troubles i caused myself. again - I take full blame, all my fault - no sympathy needed. Opportunity to learn and make me a safer rc pilot though.

in addition to my mistake, that i quickly was able to admit too... not doing a proper test flight post re-calibration and going right to flying for video and not concentrating on recent change to copter. I had to also discover what it was about how i re-calibrated that was wrong in the first place. well here is the mistake that led to my second mistake of not doing a test flight.

my dumbass re-calibrated my naza gps about two feet from an imac and a pc. i know, i know - total rookie mistake but in retrospect that is what i am. a total rookie. post this MR crash though, i am going to choose to consider myself a bit more educated (and a bit lighter in the wallet)

again sharing so that it will hopefully help someone. i dont know what i was thinking, i do know i wasnt really thinking and i was going too fast. slow and methodical wins this race. fast and too confident - well it cost big bucks. there is so much to this MR stuff. i think i have gone about it fairly conservatively and yet this happened. the ad6 was my 4th MR after lots of plane and heli experience. i feel for those guys with no rc experience at all, then see a red flying and next you know they are dropping some coin on a red capable ship. again - so much to it! moving on a bit smarter and safer :)