Setting Up Voltage Monitoring

Av8Chuck

I have a Hex with:

Avroto 2814 motors
Graupner 12" E-Props
RCTimer 30A ESC's
NAZA w/GPS
5800mAh 4S batteries

After solving an issue with arming I took it out for its maiden flight. Took off in Atti mode after liftoff and increasing the throttle to about 65% I started getting a flasshing red LED and a couple of seconds later it landed. Nice to see that it worked. Switched to Manual and it took off and flew fine, however, since I had a flashing red LED I decided to take it home and check into why this was happening. I checked the battery and it still had 80% left, I have not re-charged it to see how much it takes.

In the Voltage Monitoring setup of the Assistant I just chose 4s in the drop down menu and left everything else as it was. What numbers should go in there and how do you figure it out?
[h=2][/h]

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
There is some videos on youtube that sort of explain how to do it. I watched the video, but it seemed a bit odd the way he was showing things and how to get them numbers. I was told not to take the cells lower than I think it was 3.6 volts, all I did was use 3.6 x 3 cells to equal 10.8 volts as my absolute minimum. I added 0.5 to the total to start the warning of low voltage, when it hits the absolute minimum it will land itself. Works for me, I get between 12 and 15 minutes, 15 being without my GoPro mounted.

Might not be the correct way of doing it, but it is a simple way which should protect my batteries for a while. not like the old Ni-Cad days are they? lol.... Now don't take my way of working it for granted, it just works out right for me, when I remove my battery it still has a good capacity or voltage per cell. Sorry, I do not have an expensive charger that works all that out for me... well not yet anyway.

Av8Chuck

Thanks for the reply.

I'll check that out and see if I can't come up with some sort of meaningful formula/explanation. I think your on the right track, I usually only fly for five or six minutes and like to land with around 40%.

This subject seems to be a bit vague.

Av8Chuck

I think they're 12x6.

Because of the issue I had with the "Low" Voltage protection setting I didn't fly enough to get a feel for how these props compare to the 11" SloFly's, also I'm using a Rusty UAP1 frame with rubber isolated motor mounts so it appears to be very smooth and quiet, but I don't know whether to attribute that to the mounts or the props.

My first impression was how smooth and solid it flew but that it felt a little underpowered. With the same setup and the 11x4.7 props it lifted off at around 35-40%, with these props it sounded like there was more RPM and it lifted off with a little more than 50%.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to shoot some aerial with it soon and I will post the video.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Av8.. nice to see you back.. New machine to.. ill looking forward to seeing the footage.

Where did you get 12 E props from?

Dave

Av8Chuck

Hi Dave, its nice to be back. Not sure where I got the Graupner props, I started this build over a year ago and someone recommended them.