WKM with Sky Jib 8 in windy conditions

Hi everybody.
Im flying a Sky Jib 8 Frame, with WKM , Herkules 3 Boards, Plettenberg Orbit 15/20 Motors and Xoar 14/5 Props.

When i did my first flights it was no wind at all. I set up all the Gains with potis on X2 and X3, with almost perfect results.
Even Video shooting in GPS Mode was possible. Something that never worked with my Mikrokopter Set Up.

Atti Gains 112
Nick, Roll 175, Yaw 140 , Vertical 130

Today there was a little bit of wind and i had very poor results. the Kopter was very shaky on Nick Roll and Yaw.
That was much better with MK FC 2.1

Do You have other Gain settings for windy Days ? If yes, do i have to change the Basic or the Atti Gains?
Does it make sense to use smaller Props on windy days ?

Thanks for your answers

Jochen

crcr

The first thing that comes to mind is that the props you are using are too big. What is your AUW?

I was planning a Skyjib X8 with 400kv motors and 15x5 or 16x5 props and the Wookong-M. Are you saying that the WKM does not work well with 15 or 16" props at all?

Thanks

ATFlyer

My Skyjib 8 has Axi 4120/20 motors which are 435kv and I'm using 6s batteries. It's 11.5 kg AUW with my 5D and the Wookong M is great in a 20mph wind with APC 13x6.5. 15 inch props are too big for this weight. Great video from it, but its not great at holding its height because of the inevitable pressure fluctuations caused by the wind past the sensor.
stable though.

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
To narrow this a little down. "Flat" octos WKM build ( my experience ) seem to be a little more nervous in the wind than a MK octo for example. This can be reduced by using smaller props, which again is not so cool if you went for a 900 plus frame size and want those bigger props.
Now nervous means that it will regulate quite harsh trying to keep position in GPS hold or level aggressively in attitude mode. Which again will results in footage that will have to be stabilized if you are using a gimbal with traditional servos.

Wind performance in general as in up to what wind speeds can i fly, does it hold position etc. The WKM performs very well and for sure out performs the MK when it comes to GPS hold or altitude hold.

Boris

I was planning a Skyjib X8 with 400kv motors and 15x5 or 16x5 props and the Wookong-M. Are you saying that the WKM does not work well with 15 or 16" props at all?

Thanks

No I was referring to the OP. 160 grams 780kv motors cannot handle a prop as large as 400kv motors. The WKm software likes high disk loading in order to perform well in wind. I find that if the power required to hover the weight of a multi is under 60% of max throttle the Wkm wobbles badly.

FerdinandK

The WKM/Naza speed of the control-loop is not the fastest, that is the main cause for this issue. My experience shows, that big props with low pitch cause problems, I would not%2

Last edited by a moderator: