second build :)

trix

hello there guys , after my first build thread failed because of a camera that is still missing i am now going t do a build log of my second build .

i am going to be building a 450 sized quad and will use my spare kk2.1 fc for testing but i am still debating wether to go naza lite , apm 2.5 (rctimer) or multiwii pro from witespy. if you guys can give me a heads up on that that would be great .

i got some of my goodies today so let's get this build log going.

View attachment 16058
View attachment 16059
View attachment 16060

the frame i will be using is the rm450v2 frame from rctimer and i chose the all black color because i want this quad to be a nice build and everything will be black.
View attachment 16061

the motors i will be using are the sunnysky 2212-13 980kv motors.
View attachment 16062

i am waiting for my last package to arrive so i can start flashing the esc's and get the rest of the parts to finish the quad .
i will also be getting some apc props and a prop balancer .

i will keep you guys updated when i progress in this build .

Attachments

• 2014-02-05 19.55.55.jpg
    2014-02-05 19.55.55.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 274
  • 2014-02-05 19.57.47.jpg
    2014-02-05 19.57.47.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 369
  • 2014-02-05 19.58.05.jpg
    2014-02-05 19.58.05.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 275
  • 2014-02-05 19.59.51.jpg
    2014-02-05 19.59.51.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 2014-02-05 19.59.33.jpg
    2014-02-05 19.59.33.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 226

trix

Hello there , after a couple of days waiting for my parts to arrive i finally got them and i'm back on the workbench .

I did some modding on my motors because i wanted my quad for the most part blackout .

So here are how they were stock :
7uvuju3u.jpg

And after i got some black wiremesh on them they look like this :
ejyva2eq.jpg

a9anery4.jpg

So happy about them that i started doing it with everything :)

So the esc servo leads also got some :
ehu2e6e5.jpg

I also flashed the esc's with simonk firmware and i just got some heatshrinktubing from the local store so ihope tonight i will get them all blacked out .

Here is how they are sitting right now :
tade2e5y.jpg

I got the motors all mounted on the frame and here is how she sits right now :
eja8abum.jpg

Will do some more work tonight and i will keep you guys posted .

P.s : at a local song festival we have every year here in curacao before carnival one guy went filming with his phantom and when the battery discharged that it went to rth it hit a pole and fell in public and now the cops have it and now they say that those things are drones and that we need a permit to fly them now so we will see what will happen down here .

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Nice work! I like the mesh on the wiring. Just make sure you can still tell which color is which :)

Looking forward to the progress.

trix

Thanks for the compliments guys , @ JB , they don't for sure and as you can see it only takes 1 to ruin it for us all .

I do have a tripod but since the camera is still not found and my pc went bad on me i got myself a galaxy tab and i am using it to reply on the forum and take pictures .

@ moto , i can still see the colors through the mesh :)

After some work this is how my esc's look like :
egebuga2.jpg

e5azuzad.jpg

They are all flashed , calibrated and tested so i will soon be putting the whole thing together to get the blackbird in the sky :)

Do you guys have any heads up on a fc for me , i was thinking about going naza lite or apm 2.5 (rctimer) or multiwii pro but it seems like some owners of the naza lites don't like them at all and that they are a non updateable pos .

So any help would be really apreciated .

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you are in the US, and wanting a multiwii - go with the Witespy. Cones with everything you need , pre-programmed and cheap. But you may end up waiting for it. Takes a while sometimes I'm on a 2 week waiting period that's killing me. But he has gotten other stuff to me in a week.

Youll want ant a computer for the multiwii or APM though.

Kk2.1 is probably the simplest to get you in the air. Naza seems to be getting some super bad reviews for the Lite version.

jbrumberg

Good Luck Trix. For LOS flying your KK2.1 board will work great and get you in the air while you are waiting for that fancy FC.

cootertwo

Remember, weight is your enemy. And some people actually cut the shrink wrap off the ESC's, to expose the heat sink, and to allow air to circulate around them.

trix

@ moto , thans for the info and it seems like you forgot but im not in the us (curacao) but k order almost everything from the us to my us adress and there it gets send to me .

I was looking to buy multiwii stuff from him tough but i don't know the real difference between multiwii and apm .was going to get a mw ez3.0 (black) with gps and compass .

@cooter i know about the weight problem so i try to keep it to a minimum . And about the shrink i don't see the need to remove thwm because after flight they are barely warm so no need for more cooling imo .

After some more work today i finished her off and did a maiden flight with her and man shes a beauty but there are some oscillations that i need to work out and then she is ready for some apc props and fpv

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I just got my Black Edition - the exact one you mention. I don't know anything APM. I'm still wrestling with multiwii :). It's not bad once you get going - but now there is a new version which offers waypoint and some other features - so in the time my last one broke in the crash and receiving this one it's changed a bit - more to learn :)

It's not as "plug & play" as something like the Kk2.1 for sure.

you're correct - I forgot your location. You should put it in your profile so it lists it on the side of your posts. Everyone should!