S800 Travel Case (Pelican etc.)

dolby

Needs more bacon!
I ordered a 1560 and it was a tight fit, fit the foam inserts from the aluminum case snuggly and you'd have to cut some of the foam in the way of the wheel wells. I wanted more room for the Z15 and other gear so ended up with a 1620 but I think that might be too big, havent had a chance to take it out of the box yet. If you have Amazon prime they are still free 2 day shipping and prices are decent on the cases. They also have real easy returns I found out after returning the 1560.

skivvie

Great question I was about to ask the same. Dolby, please keep us apprised on what you end up with, I'd greatly appreciate it. Already been hacking at my DJI case to figure out how to get it in with the least amount of disassembly.

vislaw

I'm actually at the airport right now having checked my Pelican 1560 and another Pelican case the number of which I can't remember. Southwest gives you two bags free so these two Pelicans are carrying all my stuff including a charger/power supply/cameras/radio etc. etc. I'm shooting a couple forensic cases in L.A. and will be flying to Reno tomorrow. Hopefully these cases will be the solution I've been looking for.

dolby

Needs more bacon!
Do you have a case to carry on your lipos? Reading TSA they say those have to be carry on.

vislaw

Yes, I put them in plastic bags in my back pack. TSA has never questioned them. Guess they see LiPos enough to not think much about them in the X-ray.

vislaw

picture1.jpg

This is the 1560 packed. I'm temporarily using a PhotoHigher AV120 on Droidworx rails and there's enough room above the props for the rails to stick up vertically. I'm using a Pelican 1600 for the landing gear, radio, cameras and various spare parts/accessories. It's big enough to allow me to keep the gear assembled as two halves on top of each other.

dolby

Needs more bacon!
Nice, I'm using a 1620 and looks like I'll be able to fit everything in it with room to spare. I was hoping for something I could carry on though and the 1620 is way larger than I visualized. Wonder if the 1600 is small enough for carry-on?

vislaw

Nice, I'm using a 1620 and looks like I'll be able to fit everything in it with room to spare. I was hoping for something I could carry on though and the 1620 is way larger than I visualized. Wonder if the 1600 is small enough for carry-on?

I've carried it on some flights before but it apparently depends on the mood of the airline involved per this review I found on Amazon: ..." This is a great case for packing your underwater photography gear, laptop or any other high end gear that you want to arrive at your destination intact. Pick-n-pluck foam is the best way to customize interior to suit your needs. You can fit a bunch of gear in this case. I very much like the positive cam-latch feature and the two reinforced holes for locks. All in all a sturdy case with tons of room.

However it's size is it's achilles heel. On a recent trip to Hawaii on United Airlines, this case was too big to meet requirements for carry-on items (22"x14"x9" or 45 linear inches total -Length+width+depth). In practie, it did fit in the overhead bin of a Boeing 717 (Hawaiian Airlines inter-island flights)and center bin of a 777 but would not fit on a CRJ7 (regional commuter). UAL allowed it as carry-on on the flight from Chicago to Honolulu (777) but would not allow it on the return (also a 777). The bottom line is that it depends on the mood of the airline employee at the ticket counter/gate.

Thus, if you are as paranoid about you photo gear as I am you may want to opt for a slightly smaller case - such as the Pelican 1520."

animau

Yess i think the 1650 is good but i found with the 1660 the landing gear can be put inside without disassemble.

Maybe it's just because I'm a packer, and like things small and compact, but to me it seems like the inconvenience of some minor assembly for the same of a smaller case would be better. Please tell me if I am oversimplifying things, but I am working on designing a case around the 1560, 1600 or 1620, but doing so, have to take the Z15 off the frame, as well as the T-frame legs. I'll try to post a diagram of how I'm planning a three layer foam layout, but it involved taking the legs off where it joins the H-frame, as well as taking off the Zenmuse. Not that I have done this yet, but do you all think that is too much? Do you see any downsides to that approach? I'm still drawing out the layout, so forgive me if I'm speaking too soon without having done all my homework.

animau

Maybe it's just because I'm a packer, and like things small and compact, but to me it seems like the inconvenience of some minor assembly for the same of a smaller case would be better. Please tell me if I am oversimplifying things, but I am working on designing a case around the 1560, 1600 or 1620, but doing so, have to take the Z15 off the frame, as well as the T-frame legs. I'll try to post a diagram of how I'm planning a three layer foam layout, but it involved taking the legs off where it joins the H-frame, as well as taking off the Zenmuse. Not that I have done this yet, but do you all think that is too much? Do you see any downsides to that approach? I'm still drawing out the layout, so forgive me if I'm speaking too soon without having done all my homework.

i think it a good idea but for me i don't want to take out the zen from the legs...i want to be fast to put back all together. I think it will be different for every one who we want to manage to pack our dji s800. For me the less i put appart the bird the better it is...less error of putting back together...

animau

Yes i've seen theme but buying these 2 case is way to much money than buy a 1660 case... So i think the best one for now is the 1660