S800 Strange Behaviour and White lights

vislaw

Yes! No pole! I saw a discussion where a couple guys had done it and figured I would try it myself. I got the high-adhesion 3M velcro and mounted it right on dead center without the pole. Seems to work perfectly so far. ...

you mean directly on the top plate without any pole between ? I had it ilke that at the beginning but than without testing it decided to use the pole since i was a little scared that the distribution in the top plate would effect the compass in the GPS module. But you way if without pole would be my preferred way of doing it.

Boris

Eoin

Well it's late on Wednesday night and unfortunately I didn't get to fly today.
It's looking like it will be Friday for me.
Boris, did you get a chance to try the gain settings Terry gave you ?
On the subject of the gps, I wonder if it might be related ? I never had a problem with my gps until last week. For two days I couldn't get a gps lock. The most I got was a fluctuation between 2 and 3 red flashes. Granted the weather was extremely bad so I did very little flying, but at one point I had the S800 outside on the ground in an area where I normally get a full lock quickly. It was there for 40 minutes without ever getting above 2 red flashes and most of the time had 3. I put my Garman Sat Nav beside it and it was working perfectly.
Could our gps units be part of the problem or am I clutching at straws ?
Feeling frustrated and disappointed, between the design flaw on the leg bracing, the unreliable flight characteristics, the money spent and the lack of answers.
I think it's time to walk away and get a nights sleep !

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
nope didn't get to it yet. Probably this friday or saturday. But some guys in the RCgroups forum tried the settings and weren't too happy. No sure whats going on and the topic was touched by the vendors in the regroups forum but not answered yet.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
was flying today with pretty heavy wind and the white flashes only came rarely. I think the problem with mine was that the IMU touched to the center plate and that i used the wrong tape to mount the IMU. Normally I mount the IMU and fix it another time with some zip ties to really have it mounted solid. This tim the zip ties weren't possible in the s800 and tape i used was just a lithe to thick and not the right one.

At the same time though i must say not matter which gains the S800 is not the steadiest bird in the wind. At the same time though the performance increase a lot once you pack more weight into it. Flying it with more weight two extra lipos the performance increased.

Boris

Eoin

Interesting.
Thanks for sharing this Boris.
I have been concerned with the tape on my IMU. I can't find the right stuff here for the life of me. Everything is either too thick or not strong enough. I think I've found a niche in the Irish market if I ever manage to find something good enough :)
What are you using ?
The GoPro footage I took did confirm that my IMU was not touching the top plate though and unfortunately I can't add any more weight until I solve the leg bracing issue.
The weather here has been too bad to fly since I got back. Not good for tomorrow either. Hopefully it will improve this coming week.
Eoin

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I am actually using the 3m round sticker thingis that come with the WKM. I guess the thinner and more sticky the better. Any material that has play in itself i cause problems.

Boris

Eoin

Yeah ! That's definitely a possibility.
When I checked a predictor it told me I should have had access to 9 satellites. But Sun activity did occur to me. The gps signal was fine the last time I flew so my problems last week might have had something to do with Sun activity.
However should it not also have affected my Garmin car Sat Nav ?

Boris
I did two flights today, first flight big toilet blow and constant while flashs , turn off GPS mode, whit flashs gone, just like your flight, after landing, I noticed the IMU is touching the upper frame, so I push it off a bit, and second flight for 20 mins it holds position within half meter, my gain is 230 230 130 180, att 170 170, but I also noticed the wind dead down a bit on my second flight.