S800 Strange Behaviour and White lights

Eoin

Hi again all,
Just been out with my S800 and am having some consistent problems.
No matter which way I mount the GPS the S800 will begin flying in a straight line and then gradually yaw to the right. If it has any speed at all it will overshoot tremendously and yaw even more right when I let go the sticks. It will then overshoot again on it's way back to the point where I tried to stop it. Once it has settled into place GPS hold is flawless.
Also the white lights are consistent ! No matter what I do they will not go away.
Even stranger is the fact that I was still getting white lights for a few seconds after landing and after the rotors had stopped !
Anyone experienced any of this ? All help appreciated !
Many thanks
Eoin

Eoin

Sorry for delay. Got called away.
Yes I've calibrated the compass three times now.
Am at a loss.

Eoin

Update on this,
I've just been outside doing some testing. When in atti mode it flys dead straight as it should. When I enter GPS mode it will fly dramatically to the right when going forward and to the left when flying backwards. If I release the sticks it enters into a very large toilet bowl effect before settling down. And always the white lights ! *Note - My earlier post was badly worded. It's not a yaw to the right but a drift*
I've checked everything I can think of. I recalibrated the compass yet again. Have remounted the IMU 3 times. Made sure everything is locked down and solid. I even put a gopro on it last night at 120 fps pointing straight at the IMU to see if it was hitting off the side of the top plate. It wasn't. It remained rock steady.
If I wasn't getting the white lights and the toilet bowl effect I would think that the GPS needed to be rotated to compensate for the drift but I don't think thats the problem.
I took my wookong off my F450 and put it straight onto the S800. When it was on the F450 it behaved perfectly in every way.
I just don't understand what the difference could be.
I'm using firmware 5.08. Granted when it was on the F450 I was using 5.02
Could really do with some advice here !
Eoin

Michael64

Eoin
You may have to turn the GPS unit opposite direction of the direction it goes, some of them you had to do this with and I think it may be how the unit is mounted inside the housing but thats just a guess. I has worked to straighten things out.

Michael64

Hi again all,
Just been out with my S800 and am having some consistent problems.
No matter which way I mount the GPS the S800 will begin flying in a straight line and then gradually yaw to the right. If it has any speed at all it will overshoot tremendously and yaw even more right when I let go the sticks. It will then overshoot again on it's way back to the point where I tried to stop it. Once it has settled into place GPS hold is flawless.
Also the white lights are consistent ! No matter what I do they will not go away.
Even stranger is the fact that I was still getting white lights for a few seconds after landing and after the rotors had stopped !
Anyone experienced any of this ? All help appreciated !
Many thanks
Eoin

Try this : default the Mounting Values and re-enter the values or change the value 1cm or 2 cm more or less double check them correctly entered with the positive and negative …!

Shiu

Eoin

Thanks Michael64. I don't think that is the problem though. It flew perfectly on the F450 with the compass pointing forward.
Shiu, I'll try this. Go back to defaults and try again. Perhaps I have made a mistake here.
I have to leave for a work trip now. I won't get a chance to try again until Wednesday.
I'll post again on Wednesday and let you know how I get on.
Many thanks all
Eoin

Michael64

Eion
Sorry it was not in the post that it worked on another machine. I that case I agree with Shiu default all setting and reenter all the settings and check the measurement and direction (pos and neg) settings of measurements.

Michael64

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
japp same one for me today, GPS lock didn't work at all bird all over the place. White light constnatly in attitude or GPS mode.

strange one next flight things were okay again

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

srbell

Mine has the same drift, even after adjustments and compass calibration. I've given up, which really isn't the end of the world. I just fly in Atti mode which is great. When I want to park and photography I switch to GPS. If someone finds a solution I'm all ears though lol! Currently I'm still flying he Miltiwii Scarab YSixx, as I've yet the mount all the gear in the S800.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmmm like said second flight everything was okay again. Gonna do some more testing the coming days and check out whats really going on.

Boris

Eoin

I'll be really interested in how you get on Boris. I won't be able to fly again until Wednesday so if you find a solution do please let us know !
What I don't understand is that on the F450 everything was perfect.
What firmware are you flying ?
Thanks
Eoin

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Im using the one before the last one. But i guess the newest one has no real changes to the flight behavior only the waypoint license blah.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Also wrote an email to DJI lets see what they say. Its the first setup with which i am having these problems to this extend.

Boris

Eoin

Same here ! Haven't had any problems before now. Hopefully DJI can shed some light on this !
Edit: sorry haven't sent an email to DJI because I read so many posts about no reply. I've just never had these problems before.
Which address did you use Boris ? And do you find that they answer ?

Last edited by a moderator:

vislaw

Flew today and dialed down pitch and roll to 180 and it flew much better. None of the issues reported here EXCEPT I do get the white flash quite frequently. GPS lock worked well and it adjusted to wind gusts pretty nicely. Don't have gimbal mounted, though, and I'm flying with a two Gens Ace 5000mah batteries (one 2S and one 4S in parallel) with total battery weight 850 grams. Obviously, a pretty light payload but I got 10 minutes flight running the batteries down to 25% capacity. I've got some MaxAmps 6S 1100 coming tomorrow and I am going to rig up a temporary mount for an AV130 + GH2. I will do some more testing and share results while keeping an eye on this thread. Boris seems to have DJI's attention so I am hopeful he will get more info soon.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Well i try it over normal support and if that doesnt work i copy some of the rest of the staff and things go faster. Lately though i do get replies in 0-48 hours which i think it totally okay, terry normally answers !

I was also not to impressed by the flight times today. Had a 8000 zippy on it, didn't time it but feeling wise its wasn't to long until my cells dropped to 3.4 v. Gonna mount my unilog onto it and make some precise readings maybe even tomorrow.

vislaw i will follow you and bring down the gains, actually i will just put them on a slider like i normally always do and find the right settings during flight.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
okay got these today from terry:

[FONT=comic sans ms,sans-serif]Basic 150 150 140 150[/FONT]
[FONT=comic sans ms,sans-serif]Atti 140 140

lets see

Boris
[/FONT]

vislaw

Those look pretty good based on my notes from yesterday. I'll try them later today when I go out.

By the way, I've been flying with my GPS/Compass mounted directly on my top plate with a velcro patch for the sake of convenience when breaking down (I saw on another thread some guys were doing this). So far it has worked very well in spite of being down close to the electronics and it locks satellites very quickly and holds position well.

okay got these today from terry:

Basic 150 150 140 150
Atti 140 140

lets see

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
you mean directly on the top plate without any pole between ? I had it ilke that at the beginning but than without testing it decided to use the pole since i was a little scared that the distribution in the top plate would effect the compass in the GPS module. But you way if without pole would be my preferred way of doing it.

Boris