S800 EVO - landing gear help.

Maverick

D'ia duit Louis,

Cad é mar a tá tú...? An bhfuil tú go maith...?

Good stuff! Keep up the good work!

I was down filming in Bennettsbridge, Kilkenny on Sunday, for the Guinness Book of Records attempt for the most hedge cutters cutting at the one time in a specified distance. Very windy, but my trusted ADX-3 + GPS were a great combination.

I am just a one-man-band, so one Tx does all I need/want.

flipfoto

Hope to bring the landing gear up, once again...:livid:. After seeing the light a couple of days ago (S-BUS for wookong, mode D for receiver, channel 9 for landing gear) I finaly got the time and beautiful weather to fly it. Landinggear worked great on the bench.... but once in the air, it retracted fine.... but stayed retracted. Light panic took over... I could not land it as the gimbal would be touching the field first. So i grabbed it out of the air.

Did a couple of calibrations, each time it works fine it I rectract it and inmidiatly put i down again. If I wait for about 2 seconds, it locks up and I can't get it down again.

Any ideas?

(sory for my English, it clearly is not my native tongue)

Ta me go go maith ar fad, agus tu freisin?
Where you from? Are you the guy in Tipperary shooting farm machinery?
I'm from Dunmore East but living in France/Geneva for the last 20 years!
Another good man in Dunmore with a Phantom, Jamie Nolan, you might see him on the forums...

Slan leat (sorry about the lack of fadas!)

Hope to bring the landing gear up, once again...:livid:. After seeing the light a couple of days ago (S-BUS for wookong, mode D for receiver, channel 9 for landing gear) I finaly got the time and beautiful weather to fly it. Landinggear worked great on the bench.... but once in the air, it retracted fine.... but stayed retracted. Light panic took over... I could not land it as the gimbal would be touching the field first. So i grabbed it out of the air.

Did a couple of calibrations, each time it works fine it I rectract it and inmidiatly put i down again. If I wait for about 2 seconds, it locks up and I can't get it down again.

Any ideas?

(sory for my English, it clearly is not my native tongue)

Sorry to hear that flipfoto, I hope you get it sorted out, because that's the same configuration I plan to use!
No ideas, I know I have to wait a second or two when it goes up or down before it locks properly. I wonder is it a mechanical issue...
Especially as when it's in the air there is no weight on the legs.. I wonder is there a conflict with TX channels, using that particular setup?
Was it working before?
Chris the Viper might be the man with a few ideas, or Boranup....

Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick

Ta me go go maith ar fad, agus tu freisin?
Where you from? Are you the guy in Tipperary shooting farm machinery?
I'm from Dunmore East but living in France/Geneva for the last 20 years!
Another good man in Dunmore with a Phantom, Jamie Nolan, you might see him on the forums...

Slan leat (sorry about the lack of fadas!)

Tá mé íontach maith, le cuidigh Dé...

Yip, thats me doing the farm machinery - and lots more to come. Some DVDs being released at Christmas, some good stuff in the pipeline, but my lips are sealed. Farm/machinery videos are getting to be so popular over here - like the farmer's version of Ice Road Truckers! Kids AND adults go crazy for it!

I'm from South Armagh, at the foot of Slieve Gullion.

flipfoto

thanks for your help, Louis,..... I found it. I'm deeply ashamed.....:shame::shame:. It was a tiny tyrap (black as I prefer them) to hold the servocable back, so that cable doesn't get in the moving parts. As the legs are retracted , i causes a bit of friction. Than the servo do not work proparly. So in the end, i'm to blame.

AEMontoya

I can confirm that the Frsky decoder will not allow assignment to DG1 or DG2. I was hoping to assign Ch 13 and 14 (DG1 and DG2, respectively) to retracts and shutter; but, setting those channels on the Frsky decoder using the Frsky programmer was unsuccessful. I can only assign to the standard channels 1-12 of my Futaba 12z radio. The decoder and programmer advertised at Hobby King (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...nel_S_BUS_Decoder_and_Program_Card_Combo.html) indicates that it can assign to DG1 and DG2. There is also a user comment below the item description that explicitly says this is possible, not to mention the "DG1" and "DG2" markings on the programmer itself. Of course, this is a substantially less expensive alternative than buying the Futaba decoder and USB device. It also appears lighter weight and has an extra connector (4 vs. 3). However, a perhaps silly concern of mine is that DG1 and DG2 of the programmer will only work for channels 19 and 20 of an 18 channel radio. My 12z has DG1 and DG2 as channels 13 and 14. I'm not really sure if this is a valid concern or not. Any ideas?

I can confirm that the Frsky decoder will not allow assignment to DG1 or DG2. I was hoping to assign Ch 13 and 14 (DG1 and DG2, respectively) to retracts and shutter; but, setting those channels on the Frsky decoder using the Frsky programmer was unsuccessful. I can only assign to the standard channels 1-12 of my Futaba 12z radio. The decoder and programmer advertised at Hobby King (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...nel_S_BUS_Decoder_and_Program_Card_Combo.html) indicates that it can assign to DG1 and DG2. There is also a user comment below the item description that explicitly says this is possible, not to mention the "DG1" and "DG2" markings on the programmer itself. Of course, this is a substantially less expensive alternative than buying the Futaba decoder and USB device. It also appears lighter weight and has an extra connector (4 vs. 3). However, a perhaps silly concern of mine is that DG1 and DG2 of the programmer will only work for channels 19 and 20 of an 18 channel radio. My 12z has DG1 and DG2 as channels 13 and 14. I'm not really sure if this is a valid concern or not. Any ideas?
AEM, you got a lot further than me. After 3 days of trying to get the FrSky one to work for me, I finally gave up. But I'm very content with the HobbyKing one. My memory is a little vague, but I'm quite sure you get 1 through 16, AND DG1 and DG2. I know that I use DG1 and DG2 in my single operator setup, through I use them for shutter and video on/off, and I have the landing gear wired direct to the 6208 #8 output. I use the HK SBDs for Zenmuse functions and soon will be using it to switch video inputs on the iOSD when I get the FPV camera installed.

The Hobby King or FRSky can only program normal analogue channels not the 2 DG channels on the T8FSG Super, while the Futaba Decoder allows you to decode the DG channels by the USB dongle
Soler, I have to disagree with you on the Hobby King one. I have that working on DG1 and DG2 and they control the camera functions.

AEMontoya

AEM, you got a lot further than me. After 3 days of trying to get the FrSky one to work for me, I finally gave up. But I'm very content with the HobbyKing one. My memory is a little vague, but I'm quite sure you get 1 through 16, AND DG1 and DG2. I know that I use DG1 and DG2 in my single operator setup, through I use them for shutter and video on/off, and I have the landing gear wired direct to the 6208 #8 output. I use the HK SBDs for Zenmuse functions and soon will be using it to switch video inputs on the iOSD when I get the FPV camera installed.

Yeah, I was disappointed when I couldn't get the Frsky decoder to be assigned to the DG1 and DG2 channels, too. I'm glad I stumbled on this thread, though. I agree that the HK decoder allows for assignment to 1-16 AND DG1 and DG2. However, my question is different (although, I don't think I worded it very well). With a Futaba 18z Tx, DG1 and DG2 are essentially channels 19 and 20. With my Futaba 12z, on the other hand, DG1 and DG2 are channels 13 and 14. My fear, even though it's probably not warranted, is that the HK decoder will not allow for assignment to DG1 and DG2 unless they represent channels 19 and 20 of the Futaba 18z. The HK decoder already has channels 13 and 14, and maybe it won't allow me to assign DG1 and DG2 on my 12z. I suspect that this shouldn't be a concern; but, I don't know enough about how assignments work, and I don't want to order the HK decoder unless I'm sure it will work for me, especially since I'm already limited in channels with my 12z, and I'd like to use it for a one-man hexa setup with Zenmuse.

Yeah, I was disappointed when I couldn't get the Frsky decoder to be assigned to the DG1 and DG2 channels, too. I'm glad I stumbled on this thread, though. I agree that the HK decoder allows for assignment to 1-16 AND DG1 and DG2. However, my question is different (although, I don't think I worded it very well). With a Futaba 18z Tx, DG1 and DG2 are essentially channels 19 and 20. With my Futaba 12z, on the other hand, DG1 and DG2 are channels 13 and 14. My fear, even though it's probably not warranted, is that the HK decoder will not allow for assignment to DG1 and DG2 unless they represent channels 19 and 20 of the Futaba 18z. The HK decoder already has channels 13 and 14, and maybe it won't allow me to assign DG1 and DG2 on my 12z. I suspect that this shouldn't be a concern; but, I don't know enough about how assignments work, and I don't want to order the HK decoder unless I'm sure it will work for me, especially since I'm already limited in channels with my 12z, and I'd like to use it for a one-man hexa setup with Zenmuse.
Ah, gotcha. Can I ask how you know your transmitter is using 13 and 14? Even if it did, does it matter? Then you would program the SBD to those channels and still get the outputs you wanted. If there was an easy way for me or you to test my SBD with a 12z, I would. If shipping isn't much (depending on where you are), I could mail it to you to try out.
For what it's worth, I only use 12 channels on my S800+WKM+Z15+Retracts. Yes, I decided I didn't need to control all channels on the Z15 for solo operator setup. I've been running that way for 4 months and haven't ever missed the other controls.

AEMontoya

Ah, gotcha. Can I ask how you know your transmitter is using 13 and 14? Even if it did, does it matter? Then you would program the SBD to those channels and still get the outputs you wanted. If there was an easy way for me or you to test my SBD with a 12z, I would. If shipping isn't much (depending on where you are), I could mail it to you to try out.
For what it's worth, I only use 12 channels on my S800+WKM+Z15+Retracts. Yes, I decided I didn't need to control all channels on the Z15 for solo operator setup. I've been running that way for 4 months and haven't ever missed the other controls.

Well, I vaguely remember reading somewhere, maybe two months ago or so, that in order to use a decoder (I don't remember which brand) for DG1 and DG2 on a 12z, it was necessary to simply assign to channels 13 and 14 using whatever programmer was being discussed. I tried this to no avail with my Frsky decoder and programmer. The programmer does not read DG1 or DG2 anywhere, just channels 1 through however high it goes, and 13 and 14 just won't work. So, my impression has been that perhaps whatever decoder was being discussed doesn't have DG1 or DG2, but does allow for assignment of DG1 and DG2 by setting to what it considers Ch 13 and 14. The HK decoder, on the other hand, has 18 channels before getting to DG1 and DG2; so, I've been thinking that maybe Ch 13 and 14 won't work either, and neither will DG1 and DG2, since they line up with Ch 19 and 20 for that decoder. Anyway, I guess the only way to know for sure would be to test it out. I really appreciate the offer of your sending it out to me for testing. However, I don't want to have to put you through all that trouble (I live in CA). I won't actually need to get this going for several months, and I suspect I'll come across the answer by then. Moreover, I may just end up shelling out the big bucks and get the Futaba decoder and USB dongle, which I am pretty confident will allow me to do what I want.

soler

Soler, I have to disagree with you on the Hobby King one. I have that working on DG1 and DG2 and they control the camera functions.

is the Hobby King Decorder the same as the Frsky? I tried with the FRSky and could not get it to read the DG channels, after contacting customer support they confirmed this and said they would add it to a future release.

Well, I vaguely remember reading somewhere, maybe two months ago or so, that in order to use a decoder (I don't remember which brand) for DG1 and DG2 on a 12z, it was necessary to simply assign to channels 13 and 14 using whatever programmer was being discussed. I tried this to no avail with my Frsky decoder and programmer. The programmer does not read DG1 or DG2 anywhere, just channels 1 through however high it goes, and 13 and 14 just won't work. So, my impression has been that perhaps whatever decoder was being discussed doesn't have DG1 or DG2, but does allow for assignment of DG1 and DG2 by setting to what it considers Ch 13 and 14. The HK decoder, on the other hand, has 18 channels before getting to DG1 and DG2; so, I've been thinking that maybe Ch 13 and 14 won't work either, and neither will DG1 and DG2, since they line up with Ch 19 and 20 for that decoder. Anyway, I guess the only way to know for sure would be to test it out. I really appreciate the offer of your sending it out to me for testing. However, I don't want to have to put you through all that trouble (I live in CA). I won't actually need to get this going for several months, and I suspect I'll come across the answer by then. Moreover, I may just end up shelling out the big bucks and get the Futaba decoder and USB dongle, which I am pretty confident will allow me to do what I want.
EYM, I tend to disagree with that thought. My understanding is the DG1 and DG2 are separate and unique channels and do not overlap with 1 through 16. I strongly believe that if your transmitter/receiver support DG1/2, that they will work with the HK decoder, regardless of it being a 12, 14, or 16 channel transmitter.

is the Hobby King Decorder the same as the Frsky? I tried with the FRSky and could not get it to read the DG channels, after contacting customer support they confirmed this and said they would add it to a future release.
Soler, no, they are different. I tried FrSky and couldn't get it to work after trying many days. Got the HK one working on the first try, and it does work with 16 channels plus DG1/2.

AEMontoya

EYM, I tend to disagree with that thought. My understanding is the DG1 and DG2 are separate and unique channels and do not overlap with 1 through 16. I strongly believe that if your transmitter/receiver support DG1/2, that they will work with the HK decoder, regardless of it being a 12, 14, or 16 channel transmitter.

Soler, no, they are different. I tried FrSky and couldn't get it to work after trying many days. Got the HK one working on the first try, and it does work with 16 channels plus DG1/2.

PPWB,

Is there any way you could provide me with your TX/RX assignments when using two RXs to control the flight controller and Zen? I am back on this topic again, and was just told by a Futaba "guru" at Futaba support that the only RX that I can use with the 12z to utilize dg1 and dg2 is the traditional 14-ch 6014HS. He said that the only other way to use dg1 and dg2 is by using a RX that has an SBUS 2 port, which the 12z does not support. Now I am confused. All I want to do is use 1 RX for the WKM and 1 RX for the Zen, but still be able to control retracts and shutter using dg1 and dg2. If these last two functions could be controlled by the RX that controls the zen, all the better! Ahhh!

Andy

robyr1

Could somebody help me to configure the zenmuse GH3 GCU to the wookong/or futaba T14SG receiver? I need a 1 pilot solution, and i would like to control the pitch with LD potentiometer..another question, where i have to connect the IN servo cable of the landing gear? and the "double power cable" ??

AEMontoya

Could somebody help me to configure the zenmuse GH3 GCU to the wookong/or futaba T14SG receiver? I need a 1 pilot solution, and i would like to control the pitch with LD potentiometer..another question, where i have to connect the IN servo cable of the landing gear? and the "double power cable" ??

The IN servo cable of the landing gear can go to any RX port that puts out PWM output. In other words, you can plug it into any port of a traditional receiver (non-SBUS). If you use an SBUS RX, the you'll need to use a decoder, which would go between the SBUS RX and the input connector of the landing gear. The "double power cable" is intended such that one XT-60 goes to the landing gear, while the other one goes to the Zenmuse. Of course, you'd want to supply a maximum of 25 V as power, since the landing gear and zenmuse have built-in BECs that handle up to 6s lipo.

PPWB,

Is there any way you could provide me with your TX/RX assignments when using two RXs to control the flight controller and Zen? I am back on this topic again, and was just told by a Futaba "guru" at Futaba support that the only RX that I can use with the 12z to utilize dg1 and dg2 is the traditional 14-ch 6014HS. He said that the only other way to use dg1 and dg2 is by using a RX that has an SBUS 2 port, which the 12z does not support. Now I am confused. All I want to do is use 1 RX for the WKM and 1 RX for the Zen, but still be able to control retracts and shutter using dg1 and dg2. If these last two functions could be controlled by the RX that controls the zen, all the better! Ahhh!

Andy
Definitely. I'm at work right now, but as soon as I get home (in 3 hours) I will write it up and include a diagram of my setup, and how I quickly switch between 2 person and 1 person setups, yet retain landing gear retracts and camera controls.