S800 clean build tips and info

ChrisViperM

Chris Im interested in how you applied the braiding and heat shrink to the MC and connection point to the S800 - really impressed how clean it makes the install and in my mind easier to identify when things arent quite right (loose plugs etc)

Have the evo and zenmuse for the GH2 rocking up in the next week I hope

Cheers
Lance

Hi Lance

Just check here, Post #15 : http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...-Rx-connection&p=116216&viewfull=1#post116216

This should get you going.....don't expect it to be perfect the first time.....takes a bit of "training"

One little trick: Before you heat up the heatshrink over the braid, shape the whole thing into it's final shape....that way you can see if the braid will follow the shape and if it's too short or too long....also bring the plugs in their final angle/position, it's pretty difficult to twist a
braided cable once it's finished

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

boranup

Hi Chris - I now have all my components bar the S800 (waiting waiting waiting)

Anyway I am following similar setup to what you have in your images and I have a question.

When you remove your landing gear you have to disconnect your IMU, you also have to disconnect your z15 from your iOSD, and your iOSD from your AVL58 transmitter - is there anything else you need to disconnect?

I also assume if I want to use a second camera for FPV and not the z15 I need to get soldering?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Lance

ChrisViperM

Hi Lance

When you remove your landing gear you have to disconnect your IMU, you also have to disconnect your z15 from your iOSD, and your iOSD from your AVL58 transmitter - is there anything else you need to disconnect?

You obviously also have to disconnect the power connectors for the Zenmuse and the retracts, also the Zenmuse from the CAN-Bus system.

I also assume if I want to use a second camera for FPV and not the z15 I need to get soldering?

It depends.....if you want to switch between Zenmuse camera and any FPV camera, you can do that with the iOSD and your Transmitter / additional channel. Look at the diagram of iOSD manual on page 6. To be able to see both Zenmuse and FPV image at the same time, you need an extra video transmitter/receiver on a different frequency than your first Video Tx/Rx.....

Chris

soler

You can switch between two cameras with the IOSD both showing the OSD information with only one transmitter, If you want dual displays at the same time then you will need a second transmitter + receiver and screen but OSD can only be on one as it has two Video inputs and one Video output for the iOSD.

Hi Lance

It depends.....if you want to switch between Zenmuse camera and any FPV camera, you can do that with the iOSD and your Transmitter / additional channel. Look at the diagram of iOSD manual on page 6. To be able to see both Zenmuse and FPV image at the same time, you need an extra video transmitter/receiver on a different frequency than your first Video Tx/Rx.....

Chris

Here is a bunch of pics from my installation....didn't sort them out, just uploaded them from the cam....

Hi Chris,
Can I ask you a question about your RX connected to the Zenmuse?
I assume you are using that as a secondary RX?
The two antenna wires seem to be coming straight out from the RX, instead of at 90 degrees to each other. Is there a reason for that?

Thanks,
Louis

ChrisViperM

Hi Louis

I got the antennas from the Zen in a 90° angle, but it's hard to see on most of the pictures. Here you can see it:

View attachment 13297

Chris

Attachments

• P1010077.jpg
    P1010077.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 257

ChrisViperM

Don't you worry....the main thing are crash-free flights. Same story as with the ladies....some look stunning, but are rather useless :tennis:

Chris

Don't you worry....the main thing are crash-free flights. Same story as with the ladies....some look stunning, but are rather useless :tennis:
Chris

Hi Chris,

Last question - :)
I bought one of those voltage alarms you mentioned on a post (in fact I bought 2, one for my F550) -
what voltage setting did you use, was it 3.4V (per cell) ?

"I don't get angry anymore....hoorey to the products of the pharma industry !" I winder are they legal, sounds like I could use some..

ChrisViperM

Hi Louis

Just start with a 3.4 V setting which is very "conservative".....after flying until the alarm goes off, just charge your LiPo and see how much you have to charge in. If there was enough mAh left, you can lower the setting in 0.1 steps....but not lower than 3.2 V.
It's quite possible that your alarm goes off after a hard climb or fast-forward flight, but still enough juice left for normal flying.....just hover a bit and see if the alarm stops.

Chris

Yes...it's set up for 2-man or 1-man operation....on this forum are several threads how to do that.

For the antenna, you need a carbon look-alike plastic (don't use real carbon cecause of electical conductivity) : http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=524
But you can use any plastic material. I also used the plastic sheet to cover the top holes in the frame with some super glue.
Than you need some RC antenna tube: http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/61_102/n/Radios-Accessories-Antenna-Tubes and zip-ties.

Cut the tube a bit longer than you need, insert an old cable (just slightly thicker than your Rx cable and heat it up carefully where you want the bend, otherwise it will collaps at the bend. When cooled down, pull the wire out and glue the two antenna tubes onto the plastic. Drill small holes left and right from the tubes and fix with zip-ties....finished.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I know this is a silly question, but when you say "glue the two antenna tubes onto the plastic", what in your opinion is the best glue to use? :)

1-man or 2-man operation (or should it be 1-person, although I have never seen a girl flying a drone?).
I intend buying a Zenmuse, unless something better comes out in the meantime.
I've set up my 14SG with two receivers, the second one at the moment is controlling the tilt/pan/360 of my Photohigher AV200 (and my retracts).
I couldn't find anything on the forums about this, but I think you have a similar setup?
You're using a 14SG for 1-man setup? To change to a 2-man setup, how do you do it?
Do you unlink the 2nd RX from your 14SG and use it with a 2nd TX?

I'm still waiting for my V2 IMU to arrive from Spain, but depressing to see more S800 EVO crashes, like poor D****ie on his maiden flight.

ChrisViperM

I got no time at the moment, but if you read this thread, you guys might find the answer:

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...ur-Futuba-T8FG-super&highlight=zenmuse+futaba

1-man or 2-man operation (or should it be 1-person, although I have never seen a girl flying a drone?).

You might see a "girl" flying soon if I carry on posting:

My dear "brilliant" husband,

I would recommend to stop posting and go back to work...NOW!
If not - be awared of ME making some testflights with your birds... you can be very sure: there will be nothing left for the container...

Kisses,
Lady ViperM

:tennis: :tennis: :tennis:

Chris

Topflight

What is the best way to attach Zenmuse 15 to the S800 EVO? It has three rubber grommets on four corners. Whats a good way to get it attached?