S800 clean build tips and info

boranup

Have ordered a S800 Evo plus OSD and some FPV gear - havent decided on gimbal yet

Interested to see what people have done to make their build clean and easy to maintain, im not a fan of having wires everywhere and stuff not looking like it belongs. Would be grateful for any pics or information while the waiting game begins.

Cheers
Lance

Tahoe Ed

The S800 allows for a pretty clean build. I would stay with the XT connectors it makes it easier if you do. I finally converted from Deans to them and they are fine for my needs. If you mount the IMU in the normal spot on the bottom plate the MC and the PMU will fit there as well. There is not quite enough room for the iOSD to fit. There is space between the bottom of the bottom plate and the landing gear to mount it and it makes it convenient to connect to the vTx, which I mount on the leg of the landing gear. When I got the vibration isolation kit it included a vTx leg mount in it. The iOSD supplies 12v to the vTx. I have found that the DJI and Immersion work best with this arrangement. Some small FPV cameras with actually fit between the top and bottom plates of the S800 giving you a view between the front arms. The iOSD will give you the ability to switch between video sources from your Tx, FPV camera and Gimbal camera, assuming that you have video out from that source. Right now the package prices that I have seen have been very good. Let us know how you proceed.

boranup

Thanks Ed appreciate the input, I plan to mount the IMU in the alternative position just to make doubly sure that things go to plan, this should also free up more space for other items that can be kept out of sight. I wonder if the Evo comes with a vTx mount? either way I have purchased one of these http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/fpv-12mm-boom-mount-kit which should also do a decent job and assist with removing any interference issues.

Now its time to source some lipos - a quick question do I need an additional battery tray to use two lipos or will they fit/usable on the one tray?

ChrisViperM

The original LiPo tray looks cool, but is useless if you want to have 2x Lipos.....I use this one: http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/the-2332/DJI-S800-(x650V)-multi/Detail

My IMU is mounted in the alternative position, but in front. That way it's easier to plug it into the Main Controller which is sitting on top of the top-plate right next to the motor connectors. PMU, iOSD, Data-Link and Can-Bus Hub are sandwiched in-between top-and bottom plates, just make sure you can access all USB-ports once the rig is bolted together.
Receiver is on top-plate, BT-LED is mounted with some DIY-carbon strip. Every single cable is twisted and covered with braided sleeve....helps to eliminate electrical noise. Once I am home I'll post some pic's......

Doesn't mean I like the S800 !

Chris

Tahoe Ed

I do mount two 5000mAh 6S lipos on the battery tray. It does work for me, but as Chris stated there are alternatives. What I don't like about the alternate mounting point for the IMU is the necessity to plug and unplug it every time you disconnect the center plate from the landing gear.

ChrisViperM

What I don't like about the alternate mounting point for the IMU is the necessity to plug and unplug it every time you disconnect the center plate from the landing gear.

Very true, but if you mount it on the main-frame (even with the stiffer arms and the new IMU case) there is still a lot of vibrations which the IMU has to "swallow"......to be honest, after 2 unexplainable crashes I rather live with the plug-unplug stupidity. Didn't have any troubles so far....

Chris

ChrisViperM

Attachments

• P1010072.jpg
    P1010072.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 747
  • P1010073.jpg
    P1010073.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 705
  • P1010074.jpg
    P1010074.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 601
  • P1010075.jpg
    P1010075.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 500
  • P1010076.jpg
    P1010076.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 665
  • P1010077.jpg
    P1010077.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 682
  • P1010078.jpg
    P1010078.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 507
  • P1010079.jpg
    P1010079.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 471
  • P1010080.jpg
    P1010080.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 472
  • P1010081.jpg
    P1010081.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 496
  • P1010082.jpg
    P1010082.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 479
  • P1010083.jpg
    P1010083.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 493
  • P1010084.jpg
    P1010084.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 471
  • P1010085.jpg
    P1010085.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 500
  • P1010086.jpg
    P1010086.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 487

boranup

Thanks Chris your braided sheaths are they a fabric or nylon material? I have used the nylon type before and always though fabric might be a bit better

Cheers

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Chris.... Very clean layout....... looks well organized. Looks like you have a GCS datalink onboard..... is it 900Mhz or 2.4Ghz? And what is your video downlink frequency? Just wondering about compatible freqs between RC, Vid downlink and GCS..... And here is the battery tray that I use for the S800 landing gear...... http://www.rctimer.com/product_840.html

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

Thanks Chris your braided sheaths are they a fabric or nylon material? I have used the nylon type before and always though fabric might be a bit better

Cheers

They are just nylon type, the ones you get in all those RC-Hobby shops. Pretty resistant against abraision.....

Chris.... Very clean layout....... looks well organized. Looks like you have a GCS datalink onboard..... is it 900Mhz or 2.4Ghz? And what is your video downlink frequency? Just wondering about compatible freqs between RC, Vid downlink and GCS

Data-Link is 900 Mhz...the 2.4 Ghz would interfere with your Transmitter/Receiver.

Video downlink is 5.8 Ghz.....On my S800 I have the Video transmitter from DJI which is doing a decent job. Only drawback is that it doesn't work well together with built-in receivers from Fatshark goggles. This got to do with different bands within the 5.8 Ghz range....4 different bands with 8 channels each.

Look at the chart: http://www.kopterworx.com/Tx/58GHz-600mW-TX

Fatshark and Immersion products are in the AIRWAVE band, DJI Video works in the BOSCAM-E band.

Just recently I found this product: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/58g-600mw-32ch-vtxrx-p-1118.html

Got it at home just waiting for testing. Since both receiver and transmitter have 32 channels, they will cover all bands within 5.8 Ghz.....getting sick and tired of products not being compatible because of poor description concerning the operating band. Another thing is the bulky-ness of most transmitters which makes it sometimes a pain to mount. The Foxtech-stuff is flat and small and easy to mount.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

boranup

While I am building up the package - does anyone know if the retractable landing gear can ge stored in the retracted position for transport?

Tahoe Ed

I don't think so. It is easy to remove the plate and arms from the LG. You don't have to have the LG up to do that.

boranup

Cheers Ed - I have an old pelican case but don't think its deep enough to support the height of the landing gear hence the question - will check it out tomorrow.

Chris I see you use a Fubata receiver with sbus - something I am wanting to do on this project. I have an existing Hitec Aurora 9 that I use on my other multis and want to use it as a second operator for an Alexmos gimbal and in my head and now on paper I am trying to organise how this would work. I have put together this drawing so far - can you please comment or add detail? This is the radio I am looking to purchase - http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/futaba-14sg-mode-2

View attachment 12733

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 3.12.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 3.12.10 PM.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 436

ChrisViperM

Chris I see you use a Fubata receiver with sbus - something I am wanting to do on this project. I have an existing Hitec Aurora 9 that I use on my other multis and want to use it as a second operator for an Alexmos gimbal and in my head and now on paper I am trying to organise how this would work. I have put together this drawing so far - can you please comment or add detail? This is the radio I am looking to purchase - http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/futaba-14sg-mode-2

View attachment 16141

Sorry, somehow missed your post. The Futaba 14SG is a great radio, I got one next to my T18-MZ. Your wiring diagram is too small, so I can't comment on that, but the manual is very clear about the wiring.

As for the retracts: It's easy to bring them into retract position just by hand. Just push the locking lever (without power) and it will move up....also the other way arround. The spring will be under slight tension, but not more than in the down-position.

View attachment 12888

Attachments

• S800-Retractable-Landing-Skid0111.jpg
    S800-Retractable-Landing-Skid0111.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 271

boranup

Thanks Chris - good stuff have a great case but need to store/transport in retract position so thats good news.

Sorry about the image dont know what happened there - I have the iOSD, 5.8 FPV setup, WKM, retracts and the Fubata receiver - just want to make sure I plan well enough ahead to ensure the the cleanest possible finish - clean light and hopefully trouble free

boranup

Chris taking a closer look at your images - I take it you have your system setup for 2 operators (second receiver on the zenmuse)? Also what have you used to maintain 90 degree separation on the antenna off the receiver?

Thanks
Lance

ChrisViperM

Yes...it's set up for 2-man or 1-man operation....on this forum are several threads how to do that.

For the antenna, you need a carbon look-alike plastic (don't use real carbon cecause of electical conductivity) : http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=524
But you can use any plastic material. I also used the plastic sheet to cover the top holes in the frame with some super glue.
Than you need some RC antenna tube: http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/61_102/n/Radios-Accessories-Antenna-Tubes and zip-ties.

Cut the tube a bit longer than you need, insert an old cable (just slightly thicker than your Rx cable and heat it up carefully where you want the bend, otherwise it will collaps at the bend. When cooled down, pull the wire out and glue the two antenna tubes onto the plastic. Drill small holes left and right from the tubes and fix with zip-ties....finished.

Chris

Topflight

Yes...it's set up for 2-man or 1-man operation....on this forum are several threads how to do that.

For the antenna, you need a carbon look-alike plastic (don't use real carbon cecause of electical conductivity) : http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=524
But you can use any plastic material. I also used the plastic sheet to cover the top holes in the frame with some super glue.
Than you need some RC antenna tube: http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/61_102/n/Radios-Accessories-Antenna-Tubes and zip-ties.

Cut the tube a bit longer than you need, insert an old cable (just slightly thicker than your Rx cable and heat it up carefully where you want the bend, otherwise it will collaps at the bend. When cooled down, pull the wire out and glue the two antenna tubes onto the plastic. Drill small holes left and right from the tubes and fix with zip-ties....finished.

Chris

Chris,
I'm getting the S800 EVO with Zenmuse for the Nex5. I see you are set up for 1 and 2 man operation. I'm getting 2 Futaba 8SGs. Will I need the 14 SG to do 1 man operation? Also, can you turn video on and off and switch to stills with the Zenmuse?

boranup

Chris Im interested in how you applied the braiding and heat shrink to the MC and connection point to the S800 - really impressed how clean it makes the install and in my mind easier to identify when things arent quite right (loose plugs etc)

Have the evo and zenmuse for the GH2 rocking up in the next week I hope

Cheers
Lance