Tau Labs RX wiring harnes

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ill give it a whirl on bootcamp if you want!

Does this mean that the original mac version from last week is screwed or was it just for the Y3?

Dave

No the previous version still works but has the tricopter bug. I'm not sure why the new packages are crashing for him and am trying to figure it out.

Kilby

I don't know if this makes any difference, but I did install the QtSDK prior to getting a full build from you guys. I wouldn't think that would have an impact on a compiled app, but I wanted to throw it out there in the interest of full disclosure.

Kilby

YAH! FINALLY, I got it all working. Of course, it's to late to get a test flight in tonight, but I have everything working finally.

Just to let you know though, the tricopter bug that was found in the Mac version of GCS seems to also exist in the PC version. Even after i wiped everything off the board and installed the PC version of GCS, I still had to set channel 4 to servo manually. It shows up in the mixer window, but then when I went to the object browser and requested the current settings, it showed that channel 4 was still disabled. As soon as I set it to servo I was in business.

dankers

The GCS is all built from the same code base, bugs like that will show in all the versions.

Happy you got it working, looking forward to a nice video.

Kilby

With a little luck, I should have some great video this weekend. The organizers of a local music festival have asked me to come and film their stage set ups the day before they open the gates. It features 5 stages with some of the best lighting rigs you can find. I don't know how well I'll be able to capture the lighting with my gopro, but just the stages alone should be great to shoot.

This is the festivals website. http://starscapefestival.com/

Kilby

yup, you got it Buzz. Random timing I guess, but the BEC in the ESC was not putting out the proper voltage when I checked it with a meter. It had been previously working, but I just switched over to one of the others and all has been fine so far. I spent the weekend flying and am feeling pretty good about the new board so far. Once i got it trimmed in proper, the copter hovers hands off no problem. It does seem as if it has to be trimmed for almost every flight. It can change a good bit from one battery to the next. Any idea where that is coming from?

CheBuzz

Did you get a good accel bias calibration? This only needs to be done once, but you want to make sure it is as level as possible during that step. My guess is that you are getting some noise introduced during the gyro zero timeout. Gyros are zeroed during the first 10 seconds after power is applied to the CC, and, if you have selected the option in the GCS, upon arming. You want to keep it still during those times.

Try turning on the "zero on arm" option and see if that helps.

If you want to look at it further, you will need to provide some of the sensor readings. There is a scopes page in the GCS that is great for giving a good snapshot of of what the accels and gyros are saying. Take a screenshot shortly after landing during one of the times it is flying "non-level" and post it.

Kilby

Hey Buzz,

Thanks for asking, I did get a good accel bias calibration. I have a small bullseye level I used to get it as flat as possible before hand. Once I finally got it to show up in GCS I set the craft nice and level and then ran the calibration. It seems to have helped out a lot, but I'm still trying to get my head around what is actually going on. I know that process sets the "level" standard on the board, but then what happens when the Gyros are zeroed during initialization? I ask because I seem to get a good bit of difference from one battery to the next. It's never that far out, and always within reach of the trim, but it seems that I have to trim the copter almost every time I put a new battery in. It doesn't act like normal trim you might have to tweak slightly during a battery wearing down, this will require left aileron trim on one battery and right on the next. Is this normal, or should I be looking at something?

I have a few thoughts on this and no clear answer. I see it fairly badly on bumblebee which makes me wonder if it is related to vibration:

1) first check if the PFD keeps going flat when motors not running (after power cycling). if it does this it's probably vibration.
2) the reproducibility of accel bias is easy to check. power cycle and keep putting it down the same way. look at attitude raw.accels. if they don't keep going back to (0,0,-9.81) then the accels don't have reproducible bias and it's not fixable.
3) next check how well the gyros are working before take off. go ahead and arm it then look at the PFD and gyros on scope or uavobjectbrowser. gyros should be zero and PFD should be flat.

If all these things work on the ground it's probably vibration biasing the board. If so we can tweak some settings based on your flying style and try and get it better (for example if you hover a lot we can trust the accels more and override the gyros)