Repairing T-Motors

dazzab

I assume that the brushless motors we use are considered disposable rather than repairable but I'm curious about them. I have two MN4014-11 motors that don't turn anymore after a crash. They just wiggle back and forth like motors due when only two wires are connected. I checked the wiring and tried another ESC without any luck so I think they are stuffed for sure.

So, with nothing to lose I decided to open them up and have a look for anything obvious. I was quite surprised as there's not a lot in there. Just the windings around magnets really? So, what is it that damages these type of motors? It really doesn't look like there is anything in there to go wrong.

Also, both of them have a glob of blue hard wax looking splotches in different places. I thought that this might be the problem but no I'm wondering if they are in there to balance things.

Lastly, I'm amazed that these are held together with a tiny C clip. Doesn't that mean that the entire weight of our copter/payload is stressed against these tiny clips. Seems odd to me.

So, to satisfy my curiosity I'd be interested in hearing a bit more from anyone who knows about what goes wrong with these motors, can they be repaired and what the blue blobs are?

Cheers

SMP

Lastly, I'm amazed that these are held together with a tiny C clip. Doesn't that mean that the entire weight of our copter/payload is stressed against these tiny clips.

Yup! Don't re-use e-clips. Bought a BUNCH of Team Losi after losing them with fair regularity on our 550!! That little experience made it a part of our pre-flight for all our birds.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Inside my motors the neodymium magnets are affixed to the bell using a blue epoxy..... And yes.... the only thing that prevents the bell and prop from flying off is that little circclip or bearing retainer ring...... plus a bit of magnetic force.

cbpagent72

Quinton took apart some 3515's and also found the blue blobs...the consensus I think was that they were for balancing.
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...Build-Skyjib-6-Ti-with-retractable-legs/page4

Yup! Don't re-use e-clips. Bought a BUNCH of Team Losi after losing them with fair regularity on our 550!! That little experience made it a part of our pre-flight for all our birds.

Sounds like since solid advice.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk