Remember Kids, Don't be a Dick

maxwelltub

Imagine your job is to risk your life to save others and their property. I'd guess that would be stressful. Then Imagine someone buzzing around you with a phantom without permission or communication. Come on people, don't be a dick.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Total putz. Love righteous indignation when it's completely off-base and unwarranted.

Also, I really hope the FD harsher him for getting props in the shot :)

I totally agree with you about not being an ****. However, I don't think that gives the fire department the right to destroy his property.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Was it ruined? It didn't even seem to ruin the shot he was getting. Also, it landed safely. I haven't read the article.

Its a little vague as to whether any actual damage occurred. The guy said he was going to send the fire department a bill but it doesn't say what for.

Pumpkinguy

I think he was OK @ 200' but when he decended to 40' he was pressing his luck. Still, they should have ignored it and kept working. They are professionals.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Never seems like a good idea to distract dudes trying to put out a fire... at least not when its my house please :)

It actually seems like the FD was having a little fun. They had clearly seen it before they actually sprayed it.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Seemed to me that the crew was getting annoyed with it buzzing around them. It's possible that they didn't realize that spraying it could possibly cause damage to it or make it crash... being safety-minded (hopefully) I doubt they would have risked doing that had they known.

I'd say bad decisions on both sides.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
+1

Especially considering these are people that run into burning buildings....deliberately. Let's just assume they may be thinking about other things than our precious MRs. :)

scotth

And what if he sent in this distraction in the middle of a ladder rescue? I count this as interference with the fire department in the performance of their duty and I hope they stick it to him.