Aeronavics / Droidworx red epic with master prime lense on skyjib 8?

nileshafilms

Pankaj Sharma
Hi, I've recently bought skyjib 8 with 3520 400kv motors, AV200 idd gimbal, dji A2, 16x5 props, power hungry board, futaba 14sg, maxamps 10900mah battery...

I want your suggestion regarding flying it with red epic & master prime lens.. and precautions while flying heavy payload..

Thanks

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Just go through a very, and I mean very thorough pre-flight check list and don't fly like you stole it. Be absolutely clear what flight times you are getting on those batteries and land well within that time. Otherwise just carry on carefully as you would.

On a side note, I originally had the same batteries as you and had to get rid of them immediately as it became clear that the C rating on them is not for constant current draw but peak. Constant current draw on those ones is only about 4-6C or something really pants like that. So, check to see what sort of power you are actually getting out of those batteries and see if they are overheating when carrying such a heavy payload.

maxwelltub

How much flying experience do you have? This seems like one of those "if you have to ask you're not ready" type of situations. I could be way off but thats a lot of loot to put in the air and you should be very confident in what you're doing before going ahead with it. Generally you want you hover to be at 50% throttle. So if your AUW is say 25lbs, you should be generating that much thrust at 50% throttle. If you don't feel like looking at motor charts just take off in manual and take a look at where your stick position is when you take off.

PMaughan

I'm still new to MR but took on a similar set up to yours to get started, so far without incident other than a few trashed props. One thing that you have to be wary of is a fast decent with this sort of weight, give yourself plenty of stopping distance as even chucking in full throttle when you're dropping at speed won't stop you as quick as you would hope! And come down on a slope so you're out of your own wash. Other than that take Carapau's advice and take it really easy, be thorough with your pre-flight checks and don't rush until it becomes second nature.

Try and fly with a dummy weight for a few flights to get comfortable with the SJ and stay away from GPS mode. A2 is still a beta product and I would not use it with any expensive camera. YMMV

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi, I've recently bought skyjib 8 with 3520 400kv motors, AV200 idd gimbal, dji A2, 16x5 props, power hungry board, futaba 14sg, maxamps 10900mah battery...

I want your suggestion regarding flying it with red epic & master prime lens.. and precautions while flying heavy payload..

Thanks

how about we start with a simple question?

What version of the A2 firmware are you currently using? You probably shouldn't be flying it if you can't answer this question yet as the older firmwares have been unreliable and it still may be too soon to tell if the newest is actually stable and useable (although it seems to be better than the first few versions).

kloner

Aerial DP
if that's one battery your not good for more than 3-4 minute flights assuming the rig is dialed in.... if it's struggling it can be less to alot less time. Your motors do this, but they struggle and it'll get into 65-70% throttle hovers so be careful, stay out of wind.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
if that's one battery your not good for more than 3-4 minute flights assuming the rig is dialed in.... if it's struggling it can be less to alot less time. Your motors do this, but they struggle and it'll get into 65-70% throttle hovers so be careful, stay out of wind.

good advice. :)

kloner

Aerial DP
this is that exact setup minus the av200 but with a heavier version..... we use 2x 10,000mah that flies 6-8 minutes like this....

the only real way to get experience flying these big epics is to get somebody to trust you to.... flying a bucket lasts a little while but eventualy you gotta cut em loose and hope for the best with the most information you can take with ya..... when these have problems they generally blow banks of motors and pitch 90 deg...... when i see that i'll give it throttle if it seems like i'm over something but i genenrally just chop the throttle and let em fall,,,,, expect something like that as a worse case scenario

Last edited by a moderator:

nileshafilms

Pankaj Sharma
Thanks a lot guys for usful advice. I use 2 10900 6s batteries for each flight. Gives me 10-12min flight time on canon 5D. So before mounting heavy camera's, I needed suggestions from experienced persons and in return I got very useful advices from you guys. Thanks again.for emergency recovery I've also bought MARS 120 parachute system. Never used yet. But while mounting eed camera I'll use it.my A2 is not upgraded with newest firmware. It works absolutely fine. As I saw some bad feedbacks about new firmware so won't upgrade until all bugs get fixed from dji.Red epic with light weighted canon fixed lens would be appropriate for first time use? I won't mount it anyway until try out with some dummy weights. Can anyone pls share gain chart for flying with heavy cameras.cheers!

maxwelltub

I use the same TX and put my gains controls on the two sliders on the back. I usually adjust basic every time I go out, just to dial it in to wind and weight. If you fly close enough, (safe distance) you can edge your basic up until you notice tiny oscillation. Then bring it back down. Mine are around 160 160 120 140. I usally just put the first two on the adjustable slider. But having that slider at your disposal is very helpful.

The first question I have is why do you want to fly an Epic? Is a client asking for it or do you want high speed capabilities or perhaps another reason entirely? I have a Skyjib 8 and was flying my Epic but have since migrated to a GH4. Flying an Epic with a prime is A LOT of gear and weight in the air and a lot of money. IF you really need the frame rate that an Epic provides then I understand but I think you should consider going as light as possible with the most suitable gear for the shoot.