Really Dumb TX question

HPL

As an introduction to multi-copters and RC in general I bought a Walkera Ladybird. I have no experience flying anything other than a little toy co-axial hilo. The instructions for the Ladybird are a bit cryptic (to put it mildly). In the instruction manual, they label the right stick as the throttle and the left stick as the elevator. In fact, the LEFT stick provides overall thrust and also controls yaw (which is what I would call the throttle) and the right stick provides directional control. Is that just a standard protocol or is there something goofy either with my TX or the instructions? The TX is the DeVention Devo 4.

The Devo 4 has a switch (for lack of a better term) on the side of an beneath each of the sticks. On other TX I have seen, these are either wheels or sliders, but on the Devo 4 they are just rockers that can be pushed off center but will return to center as soon as you release. I would have expected them to be use for trimming the craft, but they seem to have no effect and I can't get the Ladybird to hover in place no matter what. There is an adjustment screw on the gyro but I don't know if I want more or less sensitivity. Any suggestions? I am flying in dead air indoors (no fans, no AC or Heat on) and am trying to hover at about 3'-4' elevation (so out of ground effect).

Thanks

HPL

Danub

Throttle stick can be either on the left or right. . . mode 1 or 2.
A lot of european countries use Throttle/Yaw on the right stick.
In the US we have those functions on the left stick.
The switches you are describing are the trim switches. . . not sure why they aren't working.
I would guess it is an interfacing thing with the flight controller.

I don't have a walkera ladybird so take this with a grain of salt. . . . As for the gyro adjustment screw. . . if it is like a KK. . . turning clockwise will "turn up" the gyro making it more sensitive. . . counter clockwise should be less sensitive.

ChrisViperM

Hello

Concerning Stick Mode1 or Mode2 (in addition to Danub's post) here is some reading: http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rc-transmitter-modes.html

The Devo 4 has a switch (for lack of a better term) on the side of an beneath each of the sticks. On other TX I have seen, these are either wheels or sliders, but on the Devo 4 they are just rockers that can be pushed off center but will return to center as soon as you release.

This is called a "Digital Trim".....on old transmitters you had "Analog Trim" like a little wheel or a slider and you could see the position of your trim on the wheels or sliders....like a little mark od scale. On newer Transmitters you have that little rocker switch, and everytime you push it to one side, you move the trim internally just a little bit. Normally you hear a little beep every time you push that rocker.....if you go the opposit direction and hit the center, the beep got a different tone. I quickly made you a vid (crappy quality, done with my mobile phone) :

Turn up the Volume to hear the beeps:

I just hope you got the same transmitter like me....If your transmitter is different and you can't hear any beeps or don't see any information on the TX display, than you got a problem. If you get the trim going, try to increment the trim in 5% steps until it's more or less ok, than fine-trim in 1% steps (we tried it out, the Ladybird reacts to trimming on the TX) in the opposite direction of where the Ladybird is drifting.

A slight drift you will always have and it will never be like nailed in the air, but if it always drifts in the same direction, you need to trim it.

Let me hear if you could sort it out...

Cheers

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

HPL

Hey Danub & Viper!

Thanks for the replies. Indeed, the tx does beep when I move the slider. Unfortunately, the tx I have doesn't have an LCD screen, so no values there.

Concerning the gyro, the question there is to reduce drift, so I want it to be more sensitive or less sensitive?

Thanks

ChrisViperM

Hey Danub & Viper!

Thanks for the replies. Indeed, the tx does beep when I move the slider. Unfortunately, the tx I have doesn't have an LCD screen, so no values there.

If it beeps, it's a good sign....just try the way I suggested and alway push the trim button 5x (5 beeps), then try to fly it and see if something happens. If not, just land, give it another 5 beeps and fly again....try unless you have success

Concerning the gyro, the question there is to reduce drift, so I want it to be more sensitive or less sensitive?

Gyro adjustment doesn't reduce any drift....

Chris

JohnA136

Wow, I wish I found this forum/post a couple of weeks ago when I got my LadyBird V2. I was frustrated for a while but did finally figure out the trim controls. It is a ball to fly and, of course. my son flies it better than I do. But I will continue to practice as I wait for my parts for my 450 to build come from China.

Hi HPL, I wish you better luck than I have had with my WLtoys V929 Beetle Quadcopter, it always drifts quite a lot and I have to compensate with the sticks. The trim works fine but the problem being that every time a battery change takes place it decides to drift in a different direction so I have given up on the trim and just move the sticks to compensate. Mine is only a 3 axis gyro so can not expect too much. It only cost $50 so expected it not to be great.
Regards - bruce

Steve_in_NJ

you may have one or two worn out motors. The tiny brushed motors on these thing dont last very well
Hmmmm....worn out motors.... I too have a Ladybird v2 that drifts in different directions with each new battery. If the problem was a motor, would it drift in the direction of that bad motor?

jbrumberg

Steve- yes. When the motor really starts to fail it will consistently flip in that direction as well. With the SYMA X1's which are 3 axis stabilized and that I have they should be initialized on a level surface for the gyros to set up properly