Tau Labs Quanton flight controller available

I thought you guys might be interested in this new flight controller which is available now for purchase:

platine.png

http://www.quantec-networks.de/quanton/

For discussion see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1833030 and forums.taulabs.org

This board runs the Tau Labs software which is the fork the developers made from OpenPilot. It has been tested already for normal flying and altitude hold and we are currently working on RTH / PH / navigation. It also has lots of inputs and outputs which should be useful for you AP guys. Of course our camera stabilization code also works on this board.

The designer of the board also manufacturers them at his company which should mean good things for supply issues.

Oh and it has MK mounting patterns.

Wrong area, you must and misread the title. Tau is not Openpilot.

True. Tau Labs is the evolution of OpenPilot by the people that original wrote the code for OP, so it's probably of interest to people following this section who are have used OP and want a board capable of what Revo is that is available right now.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Tau might as well be OpenPilot, we're not interested in politics and cliques here so if I have to re-title the area to OpenPilot/Tau I will.

Sounds like a good idea. Our software runs on OP hardware and non-OP hardware so it's sort of a superset of OP hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

Peabody, a couple of questions if I can.

With respect to AP, is this board as close to plug and play as for example a NAZA or HFP are?. My primary interest is photography and video so i dont want to have to mess around with lots of tuning. Im not actually into the tinkering side of things. My big battle with the CC and CC3D boards has been the amount of messing around it takes me to get something thats useable for photography or video.
Is this a board thats more likely to appeal to the clever buggers out there who can do all sorts of cool things with FC's rather than dumbarses like me?

Second questions, if you guys get criticism you arent going to do the whole " I do this all for you guys, it costs me so much on all levels, why turn on me?" victim thing?.

Rick~K

Free Bird
Bartman, you as a admin can, but if so please just re-title it to Tau only and don't include the OP name. I'm sure you want the best for the forum uses but they are not both and I'm sure less confusion for users of each hardware. Its not politics, its just like joining DJI and WII. I would do the same on our forum. As a admin myself that's for your hard work.

Peabody, a couple of questions if I can.

With respect to AP, is this board as close to plug and play as for example a NAZA or HFP are?. My primary interest is photography and video so i dont want to have to mess around with lots of tuning. Im not actually into the tinkering side of things. My big battle with the CC and CC3D boards has been the amount of messing around it takes me to get something thats useable for photography or video.
Is this a board thats more likely to appeal to the clever buggers out there who can do all sorts of cool things with FC's rather than dumbarses like me?

Second questions, if you guys get criticism you arent going to do the whole " I do this all for you guys, it costs me so much on all levels, why turn on me?" victim thing?.

We do have an autotuning algorithm that people have pretty good success with (and now that doesn't let you take off if it is misconfigured). In fact that evolved when AlPackin pointed out how easy NAZA is regarding plug-and-play and we wanted to try and match it. In addition you can refine the tuning via the transmitter or the android application. However, since we wrote the code for CC3D and this is an evolution of it, then it's going to be largely the same process.

TL;DR: I'd like to think we can guide people through it successfully, but it still isn't as plug-and-play as we'd like.

Regarding the victim crap, no way. I hated that ****. If we have something wrong and people point it out we'll thank them for the feedback and work on it if we can. Blaming the messenger serves no purpose. Nor does lying and misleading people about our limitations only to have them be disappointed.

Bartman

Bartman, you as a admin can, but if so please just re-title it to Tau only and don't include the OP name. I'm sure you want the best for the forum uses but they are not both and I'm sure less confusion for users of each hardware. Its not politics, its just like joining DJI and WII. I would do the same on our forum. As a admin myself that's for your hard work.

Rick~K

the common sentiment that I see/hear is that many are tired of the OpenPilot generated drama that has far outpaced the results promised by the OP community. That drama is no longer welcome here. Peabody's work is still OP common enough to warrant inclusion in the OP forum so he's welcome to post there. I've deleted your last post and would request that if you don't have something constructive to offer, on any topic OP or otherwise, please do not taunt other forums members.

Rick~K

Free Bird
Hello Bartman,
If your referring to the Android app I posted we do have a great app coming out soon, its my project as I am "Lead". I only want users of OP hardware to know we have stuff coming out soon. I posted it was not the same because we started off the software "fresh" and not using the older code. We have some great developers that are doing good thing in the Android software Dev.

I try to keep any politics out of the post, if you look at my sig I still list other hardware as well as Op hardware. I defend people using hardware from other manufactures as I see it all has its place. I just see it as hard for anyone not currently in development to current hardware or software to be current in advice. Just a statement, but so much has changed - but you are right, their are still users flying some of the older code he was part of. I hope everyone can enjoy and get the best they can from the hobby.

Again, thanks for your time.

Bartman

Sorry to be so harsh with you Rick----curly thing---K but I've tolerated a lot of OP related crap and won't put up with it anymore. If there are new developments that would be of interest to potential OP users then please start a new thread.

THanks,
Bart

Rick~K

Free Bird
No problem, sorry to add any extra work to your busy day. I will start a new Op area to carry on the current stuff. I'm sure there is a lot of good information in the current OP thread, and it is active. I'll try to keep the name calling away, I don't like that stuff.

Have a Good Day.