Quadcopter with autopilot and separate gps tracers to follow

in all my reading of different 2015 quadcopters I could have swore I saw one that had the controller and tablet for GPS navigation and besides all of that there was a small tracer or tracker that you could give to a subject so that you could be in one position with a controller and tablet and your subject would have the tracer which there were 1 to 2 that you can use if you had two different subjects. You (being the pilot) could direct the quadcopter where and how to fly and which tracker / tracer to follow and keep focused on. I really want to get this figured out as to which ones have this feature I planned on piloting the quadcopter and giving my cousin the GPS tracker in his tractor that I could direct to follow. then I have the option of directing it to do a circular orbit around it as he's driving while I can control the camera and other functions of the quadcopter. I look forward to any responses and thank you in advance.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I haven't heard of a rig that has the separate tracker - but it's a really interesting idea.

I know that the new 3DR quad has the ability to do this - but I think it only tracks the radio???

Keep us updated of you find the one you mention.

traw1234

I think you might be talking about Lily, the one that you hold a little tracker and it follows you... I don't think you can manually control it though.

No, it is DEFINITELY not the Lily. What you could actually do is remain stationary with your controller and IPad and have someone else/Something else wear or have another device like a wristband and you could have the controller & iPad GPS/pilot and your subject (someone or something) at two separate points. The controller/pilot could remain stationary and unlike all of these other devices that you have the iPad/IPhone with GPS connected to the quadcpter and the quadcopter follows it. Well I don't want to have it follow me I want to be on the edge of the field on our farm and have a follow the tractor going through the fields as I direct the quadcopter to do an orbit or flyaway or whatever actions it can do with it and its camera.
With the Lily you are stuck to having you follow the small circular GPS device it has and have no sort of direction except clicking those preprogrammed buttons at least that's what I think I understand from the Lily preview video...

Man this is killing me! I am looking all over for this quadcopter I saw and can't find anyone that has seen it and I know I am not dreaming this LOL. I really don't understand why they don't have more with this feature?

Anyway I'll keep searching and if I or someone knows of it please let us know

traw1234

Haha yeah Lily doesn't look like it has very much beyond follow me... You could always try and implement something like you are talking about yourself;)

wish i could have no clue how to even start it. :(
I don't know if it sounds like I know what I'm talking about but I do, with reference to what I saw someone else already do :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The technology does exist for sure. The product called Solo Shot does exactly that - but with a base mounted to a tripod moving a camera to follow the "tracker."

So no, you are not crazy. You are just suffering from that classic "I know I saw it, but now Google ate the link and it's gone forever...." :)

LOL no really I swear it was technology that was on a quadcopter maybe it was a kickstarter thing I don't know?? But for me to actually think of this up LOL yeah right!! I don't have a creative mind. they actually showed how the quadcopter would follow these things. Because think about it. how easy are you going to be able to control A quad copter with your cell phone or tablet/Controller whatever when you're surfing? Then you have to think about. where are you going to land? being a quadcopter has 10 to 25 minutes flight time. The time you get out there, catch a wave and have a good ride you'll be just about out of battery, then land on the beach only for someone to steal it. LOL

Seriously though I know what you talking about with that tripod and camera mounted on it. They have it set up on the beach, A surfer on the waves going to and fro and the camera tracking them set on a tripod. This is absolutely NOT what I saw! Unless they make tripods look like quadcopters nowadays? So really if anyone has seen this could they give us the link it would be great if they can and direct us to the right site!

And if this is not invented yet and actually dreamt this up and someone picks up the idea and starts a whole new company, keep me in mind... I'm a disabled person that's bedridden 98% of the time. On the rare occasion I get up, force myself through the pain and watch the farm equipment out in the fields until I'm just about passing out from the pain or have to go to the stupid doctors. It would be great to not have to struggle for medical expenses and have a little help in that regards.

Now to spend the day searching again...... :)

You guys won't believe it! I had written out something I was writing on forum about it before and I found it! My only other question would be could the tracker in phone be separated or do they need to be near each other for any reason of any sort? Probably not but...

So someone was right that the technology doesn't exist well its in development stage but it does. Not too keen on the design of the whole thing but what do you think?

http://polyhelo.com/cmi/

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Glad you found it! Looks pretty neat.

But I'm not sure I heard them say that you could have it track the arm band and also be separately controlled by an iPhone to over-ride the control of the craft. Maybe I missed it?

Yeah I don't know if they said it directly but to me that's what I understand from watching. I'm probably wrong but it makes sense right? Anyway, don't think I'll buy it just because I'm not to thrilled on the camera situation and set up of it. Any recommendations for the easiest to fly quad copter by way of iPad mostly? I was looking at DJI phantom 3, yuneec q500+, ghost drone-- http://ghost-drone.com , husbsan x4 pro and I have the hexo+ on order. Had some extra cash I figured I'd try it out. So far it's the only one that looks like it doesn't have a controller and you controller by tablet/iPhone whatever you have only. Anyway, Glad I found and it's promising if what I said does become something in the future. Wish I had the skill and help to design one myself that flies like I said but I just don't.

i'll look forward to some recommendations.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Unfortunately I do t have any experience with MRs controlled by tablets/phones. The wifi/Bluetooth always seemed limited to me - not to mention the controls on a touch screen would freak me out :)

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.