Quad to Tilt?

Hi Every One!

So I just started building my first quad rotor machine. A lot of fun! but what is really disappoint is the flight time... or the lack there of. I understand that this is purely a result of battery energy density. In fact I've found the max flight time of any multirotor at this point is some where around 30-35 min and even that is with an unrealistic amount of batteries and huge motors to loft said batteries. I also understand that the other crippling aspect is that multirotors are essentially always holding them selves up by generating thrust from the prop. No lift is induced from forward motion. To that end I want to start work, even if only theoretical on a Tilt-QuadRotor. Thus allowing it to hover for close in detail and loiter of a multi and the range and flight time of a fixed.

I've done a fair bit of research on tilt rotor such as the V2 (actually flowing in one) and talked with the engineers that designed it and they said the single hardest part is the transition phase. The mixing of fixed surface control from thrust control has me a bit stumped. I'm hoping I can develop something on the Arduino Platform that will allow me to phase control of the difference surfaces as the pylons rotate through 90 degrees. The V2 guys gave me a hint in saying that the trick is to use both aircraft speed and the angle of the pylons to phase between the controls. Im looking for advice and ideas, on how this can be accomplished.

Right now I picture a 6" carbon fiber tube to house all the needed parts. along with CF wings for support. I'm Planing on more of an H then an X or +. However as I write this I wonder if a + might not be beneficial to my plans. Im also not sure if I need or want and vertical surfaces.

I want to mount a BLM Hero 3 Mount on the front under a bubble

One point of question I have right now is; Will/Should the wing rotate or will just the motor? I'm wondering if I don't tilt the wings will the I even need a to worry about phasing the controls? will the wings just add lift during forward flight and trick the rotor control into flying more efficiently?

Nay sayers need not reply.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Some 14 year old kid did the same sort of thing you are talking about. Not sure if i can find the video now, but his worked quite nicely.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Nice, Love to see others work. Get some good ideas.

I've decided that Im going to go with fixed wings and rotate EDF's on the tips.

Ironically It will end up looking a lot like the hunter killer's from the terminator movies. only with 4 necells rather than 3. and elevate the rear ones so they don't catch the wash from the forward ones
View attachment 13672

I've found some EDF's Im going to buy to start a tethered test on a simple water jetted test platform to work out the phasing. Each EDF will produce 3-5 kg of thrust. more than enough. How will EDF's Perform compared to open propeller in the Heli configuration? will maneuverability be a problem? I'm hoping that speed control will be the same in that hover flight configuration.

Attachments

• HKA-c-01.jpg
    HKA-c-01.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 189