PSA: Wookong DOES NOT work for Aerial Mapping.

Polymod

Is this also going to work for the A2 ?
i am just to push the button for buying a new copter with either WKM or A2.

Someone knows if the A2 is better than the WKM for mapping ?

Last edited by a moderator:

srbell

In DJI's specifications, it states the photogrammetry function in GC isn't supported with the A2. You can still use the GC to grid, you just can't enter you focal length, sensor size, vertical and horizontal overlap. You'll have to calc the number of images, at what frq. and the distance between each leg. A pain in the butt to say the least. I personally have used WKm's for a few years now mapping, but swapping for Pixhawks (way better integrated mapping solution).

Is this also going to work for the A2 ?
i am just to push the button for buying a new copter with either WKM or A2.

Someone knows if the A2 is better than the WKM for mapping ?

leor

In DJI's specifications, it states the photogrammetry function in GC isn't supported with the A2. You can still use the GC to grid, you just can't enter you focal length, sensor size, vertical and horizontal overlap. You'll have to calc the number of images, at what frq. and the distance between each leg. A pain in the butt to say the least. I personally have used WKm's for a few years now mapping, but swapping for Pixhawks (way better integrated mapping solution).

Wait why wouldn't this work? Also A2 has a more precise GPS than pixhawk so maybe it should be better?

srbell

I don't own a A2, so I can't say for sure. But if you look at what's supported, DJI specifically says the A2 doesn't support photogrammetry. What DJI is referring to is the photogrammetry tools window in GCS. Without it, you'd have a pretty hard time setting up your grids. As for precision between the Pixhawk and the A2, how on earth would we actually know? Not like DJI is going to give us hard performance numbers lol! The two Pixhawks I'm testing right now are seriously locked. They are harder to setup than the DJI gear, but way more flexible when it comes to photogrammetry. Combine that with a Piski GSP and for about $2500 and you get ground control point integration as well. Piski has been working with APM and Pixhawk integration for a while now. That give you centimeter grade position in the air (not all that important) and GCP's. Even thought I own 3 WKm's and a couple of Naza's, DJI is IMO more suited for AP and filming work. If you want to map, there's better solutions. I think this is why the A2 doesn't support photogrammetry, DJI is stepping away for the mapping side. But then again, look at LB and the A2. HD downlink at $1500! That's an amazing deal for film rig. All of these good tools, but not all for the same thing.

Wait why wouldn't this work? Also A2 has a more precise GPS than pixhawk so maybe it should be better?

leor

I don't own a A2, so I can't say for sure. But if you look at what's supported, DJI specifically says the A2 doesn't support photogrammetry. What DJI is referring to is the photogrammetry tools window in GCS. Without it, you'd have a pretty hard time setting up your grids. As for precision between the Pixhawk and the A2, how on earth would we actually know? Not like DJI is going to give us hard performance numbers lol! The two Pixhawks I'm testing right now are seriously locked. They are harder to setup than the DJI gear, but way more flexible when it comes to photogrammetry. Combine that with a Piski GSP and for about $2500 and you get ground control point integration as well. Piski has been working with APM and Pixhawk integration for a while now. That give you centimeter grade position in the air (not all that important) and GCP's. Even thought I own 3 WKm's and a couple of Naza's, DJI is IMO more suited for AP and filming work. If you want to map, there's better solutions. I think this is why the A2 doesn't support photogrammetry, DJI is stepping away for the mapping side. But then again, look at LB and the A2. HD downlink at $1500! That's an amazing deal for film rig. All of these good tools, but not all for the same thing.

I've been looking at piksi really close. I hope they release it soon. What I mean is that they probably don't anounce the feature but im sure if you connect a datalink and fire up GS the photogeometry section won't be blacked out.

Check your velocity against how frequently the IR triggers, you need to have atleast 2 seconds between the shots otherwise the NEX7 won't trigger. Solution is to either lower the horizontal speed or fly higher in order to space the shots more. (or change the overlap of the images.)

Hi,

I don't think its the horizontal speed because some strips to fires every time.. other strips it will miss a few or the whole thing.. very inconsistent.

We currently fly between 120-200m, and use 60%H 60%V photo overlaps, depends on the cm/pixel for our orthphoto's or DEM, our clients request. We get same inconsistent results.

Pulling out our hair with this one..

We called DJI tech support.. the front end tech, said he would escalate it to his tech (i think the name was Adam).. hoping to get a response soon.

Also, anyone found a software that will geotagg a batch of photos, from a comma delimited or txt file with the x,y,z ordinates?

leofuica

Hi,

I don't think its the horizontal speed because some strips to fires every time.. other strips it will miss a few or the whole thing.. very inconsistent.

We currently fly between 120-200m, and use 60%H 60%V photo overlaps, depends on the cm/pixel for our orthphoto's or DEM, our clients request. We get same inconsistent results.

We called DJI tech support.. the front end tech, said he would escalate it to his tech (i think the name was Adam).. hoping to get a response soon.

Also, anyone found a software that will geotagg a batch of photos, from a comma delimited or txt file with the x,y,z ordinates?

Jamaicauav:

Whats precisesly you need obtain with Wk and photogrametric tools and don´t work for you?

Finally i found a treasure.....point by point:

-You need a Wookong-m with 50 WP activated for photogrammetric tools (i think that A2 is the same)
-You need a IOSD MK2for use a file to export and update with the last firmware
-You need update GS with the last version
-You need a GPSexporter 1.4 version (in the site DJI don´t tell what is the version, but if you download found it is v 1.4)
-You need a 5,26 Wookong Firmware (with other version don´t work)

Only with all of this steps you can export a usable -txt file (file from IOSD MK2) with a info like that IF YOU FLY REALLY OR SIMULATED WITH A REAL MISSION AND TAKE PIC MANUALLY OR AUTOMATIC WITH VIA WK:

1 1 -70.5445244154 -33.4314905051 751.9216918945 -8.2350430486 3.7321304150 -43.1582699601

First column: secuencial number
Second: If number 1 is a photo taked automaticly via WK with a mission, if number 3 is a photo taked via GPservoaction or via TEST with photogrammetric tools.
Third: Longuitude
Fourth: Latitude
Fifth: Altitude
Sixth: Pitch
Seventh:Roll
Eigth:Yaw

No hour info, no stamp hour anywhere, its not necesary for software like Pix4d or Photoscan

This metod work fine in simulated or real mode, and must be trigger your camera in both cases.

Each pic taked genered a one file secuencial....
I read all DJI`s manual and this info dosn´t exist...is funy but cruel at the same time...

Enjoy from Chile, country with MANY earthquakes.....
smile.gif

srbell

You may be waiting for a long time... Just happen to know what the problem is and there's no solution right now. Could be ever unfortunately. Ever notice in simulation mode, if the nose isn't pointed directly towards the next waypoint (heading) it won't show any exposures (green triangles)? I works the same way when it's flying. If the unit starts down a grid's leg without the nose being perfectly strait, no images are taken. And rarely if the unit perfectly aligned when starting each leg of your shoot. That leaves gaps all over the place. What you lay out and what you actually get shown in Pix4D's ray cloud don't look alike! Sad thing is, Pix4D could easily handle the images rotated. What it can't handle are missing images. And why I am retiring the WKm's from mapping. Too bad, sure looked promising a few years back. Of course I was told they'd fix it...

Hi,

pls4air

We have been mapping now for a year. We tried geo tagging w the wookong but failed. We have been using a cannon 260 all this time but if someone has found a way w the wookong and nex 7 please share. I would be greatful! Pls4air@gmail.com
AirTopo on facebook. Thank you in advance.

leofuica

pls4air:

First read this and get a Thecnical Service for do it....
http://<wbr style="color: rgb(26, 26, 26); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 14px;">pano-tutorials.blogspot.com<wbr style="color: rgb(26, 26, 26); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 14px;">/2013/02/<wbr style="color: rgb(26, 26, 26); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 14px;">modify-sony-nex-7-with-remo<wbr style="color: rgb(26, 26, 26); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 14px;">te-shutter.html

If you don´t do this first, you lost a many pics because IR shutter is very lag between one pic to another...

leor

We have been mapping now for a year. We tried geo tagging w the wookong but failed. We have been using a cannon 260 all this time but if someone has found a way w the wookong and nex 7 please share. I would be greatful! Pls4air@gmail.com
AirTopo on facebook. Thank you in advance.
You need a IR shutter conected to the port on the wookong along with an IOSD, export to dji exporter. Then once you grab the photogeometric log use excel to move the tables to whatever format you need and import the photos.

leofuica

You need a IR shutter conected to the port on the wookong along with an IOSD, export to dji exporter. Then once you grab the photogeometric log use excel to move the tables to whatever format you need and import the photos.

Leor, in Wookong case you need a IOSD MK2 for log export with gpsexporter, in A2 case i don´t know