*TBS Discovery Boom Conversion* for larger Motor/Prop combos

Kilby

Have you tested that Acrylic yet for the motor mounts? It can be pretty brittle. I use it for prototyping a lot, but then switch to G10 or carbon before cutting the actual working parts. With a smaller motor you might be ok, but for something this size I would be carful. Looks great otherwise, good work!

ptweet

Have you tested that Acrylic yet for the motor mounts? It can be pretty brittle. I use it for prototyping a lot, but then switch to G10 or carbon before cutting the actual working parts. With a smaller motor you might be ok, but for something this size I would be carful. Looks great otherwise, good work!
I haven't used it yet. I saw some others were using it. I got some g-10 and i might try it on the co2 laser. It might work from what I've gathered. I am getting quotes from waterjet cutters. Thank you for the compliment! I've been working hard on this to make it nice!
Or if you do want clear then us polycarbonate/lexan.

Pete

If I had the means to cut it, I would!

ptweet

Well it has been done before, but not too well to to the scale that I am attempting to do.
Long story short, you will be able to swap out the short dji arms for carbon fiber arms.
You will be able to use larger motors with different mounting holes and larger props.
You will have the option of mounting motors to the bottom of the boom for interesting combinations like a TBS Disco X8.

I am replacing the acrylic prototypes with G-10/FR4 which is what the discovery is made from. I'm getting a quote now. It will take some time to see those on the machine.

The boom blocks will have threaded inserts pressed into them just like the DJI arms. Those are on order along with all the hardware. For now they will be production 3d printed with FDM or SLS. I am looking into injection molding, but it was very expensive for the molds.

There will be options for different motor mounting holes or I am considering a universal plate.

Here are some early photos. I will have more up in the next week.

The final product will be an all inclusive package with a few length options and full hardware. Basically a bolt on complete conversion for any DJI arms. I will only verify that it works on my disco and F450/550.

Well I got a quote to cut the garolite and it was a bit high. I have other leads and they may prove to be more affordable. I really need a partner with a waterjet. We can work out some sort of profit sharing. I really would like to see something from the work I have put in, but I realize it will need to be affordable or no one will want it.
Here are the arms with press inserts. Ready to mount. Just need to make a little design change because the holes are 4mm instead of 3mm and the walls got a little thin when printing. You can see it. I don't think it will effect it functionally. I also printed this new version at a high z resolution and the raft was hard to remove so the part looks like hell... Just remember: PROTOTYPE!

I also redesigned the motor mount to accommodate different screw layouts for available boom blocks. I can 3d print boom blocks, but I figure if they are already available, may as well use them.

image by Ptweet, on Flickr

A plug for the boom with hole for esc wires

I can save money by not having to purchase 3rd party boom clamps. These 3d ones should work better. My buddy said to put lights in them! I may go with the acrylic on top or 3d print a 3rd part. Hopefully my waterjet cutter gets back to me for the G-10. Anyone have a waterjet!?

epic4me

If you use a big motor (6a) on those 16 mm tubes the quad will resonate, or only support 13" prop and smaller motor, you need to go a bigger. Carbon tube, been there