Welcome To DroneVibes

DroneVibes is a COMMUNITY of drones enthusiasts. We are experts at drones for all professional and consumer applications. We welcome you to register and join the conversation.

Product Review ** JETI HiCopter 30A Opto ESC

Discussion in 'Member Drone Product Reviews' started by econfly, Jun 3, 2014.

1. redridinghood

redridinghood Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Cyprus
    Posted by redridinghood, Jun 6, 2014 #21
    This is a nice cheap tool for detecting motor balance vibration issues. I believe it will help with the motor tests.

http://www.dynexhobby.com/index.html

Excellent esc review by the way.

2. gtranquilla

gtranquilla RadioActive

Posted by gtranquilla, Jul 29, 2014 #22
    Excellent to see this all done "the right way" with quality freq generator, Oscilloscope etc.
    I have a couple of comments/questions though:
    1) Zooming in on the leading edge of one phase output, can you see any volt spike issues or has newer ESC circuit design eliminated that issue?
    V-spikes can punch holes in the insulation on the first few windings of the motor coils leading ultimately towards winding short circuits over time.
    Inverter rated motors use heavier/thicker insulation on the first few windings to help to increase motor life.

2) IEEE-519 Harmonic issues...... High frequencies between ESC and motors tend to turn the ESCs into small EMI/RF transmitters such that EMI can migrate back on to the power supply side, e.g., the PDB.
    If one motor/esc misbehaves so as to generate more emi on the power leads, then all remaining ESCs would also be adversely affected. Harmonic issues start at the 5th harmonic. Are the caps on each ESC enough to handle these risks?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
  3. econfly

econfly Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Posted by econfly, Jul 29, 2014 #23
    Thanks. I will look into the possibility of a voltage spike on the motor side at startup and report back. I didn't see anything of note when the motors were up and running. On the supply side the dominant impact is voltage fluctuation at the output switching frequency (8kHz), but there is certainly high frequency but lower amplitude noise in there too.

4. ACP

ACP Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Posted by ACP, Aug 22, 2014 #24
    Jeti recommend installing an additional capacitor every 20cm along the power line if you extend the wires when using using low-impedence electric motors (1-2 turns).

Thank you VERY much for your review. Most appreciated and very helpful.

5. Darson Hall

Darson Hall Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Ottawa
    Posted by Darson Hall, Nov 7, 2014 #25
    Very impressive review! And something you mentioned appears to be bang on with the difficulty I'm having.
    In your review you mention:

Thankfully, the HiCopters are true “opto” ESCs. They provide no power on the servo connection cable and require a 5v supply to operate. Most flight controllers will provide the needed power over the servo cable with no issues. This is a very nice feature, and is not to be assumed in just any “opto” ESC.

I'm using these Jeti's on an X8 I'm putting together. I'm using the SuperX flight controller which does NOT supply 5v. My question is how do I introduce the 5volts? I believe I should use a voltage regulator (UBEC?) and if so how many amps and will one UBEC be capable of supplying all 8 escs? Perhaps something like this? (I'll be using a 6s lipo)

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1298

Appreciate your expertise on this,

Darson

6. econfly

econfly Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Posted by econfly, Nov 12, 2014 #26
    Yes, in your case a BEC is the way to go. JETI does not specify an amp demand for the ESC servo power feed, and I am traveling and not able to measure it right now. However, given the design I would expect the power demand to be very low and a BEC capable of delivering a few amps should be able to power 8 of these ESCs. You will need to splice in power on the servo cable from the BEC (brown is ground, red is 5v power). So, from the flight controller you have the orange wire straight to the ESC (that is the signal). Power (red) is coming from the BEC. Ground (brown) is tied to both the BEC ground output and the flight controller ground output. At the flight controller I would not connect the power wire (only the signal and ground of the servo connection are used).

7. Darson Hall

Darson Hall Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Ottawa
    Posted by Darson Hall, Nov 12, 2014 #27
    Excellent. This should get things back on track. Many thanks.

Darson

8. Darson Hall

Darson Hall Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Ottawa
    Posted by Darson Hall, Nov 23, 2014 #28
    Update:
    Soldered all the servo wires as laid out by Econfly and after weeks of reading over 900 posts here and on the precipice of tearing my build apart to replace 8 esc's, all 8 motors fired up and spun! Sweet music for sure. Thanks again Econfly.

9. econfly

econfly Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Posted by econfly, Nov 24, 2014 #29
    Great!

10. Bartman

Bartman Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

Jan 5, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Posted by Bartman, Nov 24, 2014 #30
    ain't he swell?

11. Darson Hall

Darson Hall Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Ottawa
    Posted by Darson Hall, Nov 24, 2014 #31
    Swell? No... a demi-god!

12. rameshtahlan

rameshtahlan Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Posted by rameshtahlan, Nov 26, 2014 #32
    econfly,
    thanks for a very informative write up.
    I had bought 8 Jeti Highcopter 40 amps OPTO esc, and i wanted to use them on zerouav Gemini Controller
    and to my amazement, the Jeti would not arm. tried everything possible
    Then finally today on a forum, a guy told me the i should put a Y harness in one of the ESC ports of Gemini Controller, and hook up the Jeti ESC to one arm, and a 5 V BEC to the other arm,
    so that all ESCs can see the +5 V to arm.
    looks like the zerouav Gemini Controller, does not have a 5 volt on the +ve rail on ESC Ports
    So gonna do this Y harness thing this week.
    Hope the Jeti Hightcopter ESC finally arm.
    I bought them for the OCTA, and then had to put them away in storage cause i could not get them to arm
    Hopefully, the advice on the other forum, and after reading your write up,
    i will finally get the Jeti Highcopter ESCs to arm

13. Bartman

Bartman Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

Jan 5, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Posted by Bartman, Nov 26, 2014 #33
    Rameshtahlan
    The problem may be that the gemini controller is not getting power and so the ESC's are not getting a control signal which would enable them to arm. The 5V in the Y-connector will power the Gemini (and the receiver for the radio) which will then send a control signal to the ESC's which are already powered via the main flight batteries.

The Gemini controller will control the ESC's via the white wire while being powered via the 5V BEC from the y connector. Normally with non-opto ESC's the 5V for the flight controller and receiver would come from one of the ESC's via the red conductor in the servo wires.

Bart

14. rameshtahlan

rameshtahlan Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Posted by rameshtahlan, Nov 26, 2014 #34
    Batman,
    thanks for the conformation.
    will do the BEC hook up this week,
    and hopefully for the first time hear the Jeti OPTO ESC power up.
    many thanks buddy