Product Review ---> 3D Robotics Iris+ RTF Quad

cootertwo

Quick question? Has anyone measured the output power of the transmitter that comes with the Iris+ ??? I did, with my Immersion power meter. The Iris+ radio is sad, compared to my Spektrum DX7s and DX8.

cootertwo

Bert, yes, they fit, using one of the adapter rings that come with the props. I had a couple of acorn nuts lying around that were right hand thread, and popped 2 of the left handed nuts off of a couple of 3DR props that were nicked, ground off the 2 little tabs, and they work. Noticed a bit more grunt on throttle. I have the timer on my radio set to 12 minutes. With stock balanced props and a fully charged 5100mah battery, after 12 minutes, my lipo checker shows 27% left. With the 10/4.7's it showed 37% left after 12 minutes. The slow flyers have a pretty aggressive pitch. I also have some 10/4.5's slow flyer's, and some 10/4.7 4.5's Multirotor props to try also. Another tid-bit, I had to change out one of my motors last night, bad bottom bearing. Also had a small piece of I guess balancing material (blue) that was sticking up between a couple of the magnets, and rubbing on the windings. I say must be for balance, as there was just a little gob, only in one spot. NOT blue loctite. I suppose I could send the motor back to 3DR, but I bought both my Iris+'s off Amazon, so I won't bother. I already had 2 new motors on the shelf, I bought from 3DR. I did not open up the Iris+ to change the motor, just cut the wires on the arm, soldered the new ones, and heat shrink tubing.

Here you can hear the bad bearing on shut down, and start up:

Old Man

If they use the same motors as they do on the X-8 and quad, blue 850 or black 880kV, they certainly aren't the best in the world. They'll fly it just fine but won't tolerate much abuse. The bearings are their weak point. The black 880kV motors do have some grunt with the 10-4.7 props while the 850 moves things along well with the 11's. I haven't tried the 10' props on the 850kV motors. Good idea though.