procerus vtol

kloner

Aerial DP
is that kestrel controller like a pro grade kinda thing?

that data link thing is cool. like what the guys on the canadian vtx compliance thread were talking about using ip based cams..... nice little rig all folded up. Ground stations all in the hands, pretty tidy setup. wonder what the range is and why it mentions sd and hd...... wonder if the hd link goes away after a certain distance then the sd takes over or if it's all them different cameras.

5km is a long ways,,,, that's about what i find myself turning around at with a 40km range rig so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
is that kestrel controller like a pro grade kinda thing?

that data link thing is cool. like what the guys on the canadian vtx compliance thread were talking about using ip based cams..... nice little rig all folded up. Ground stations all in the hands, pretty tidy setup. wonder what the range is and why it mentions sd and hd......

About as pro grade as they get, entry price as I recall was in the $6000 to $7000 range for a basic controller back before the acquisition by L/M and the full capabilites were the stuff hobbyists and APV pilots dream about. I was very tempted to buy one anyway regardless of the cost just because it would have been the ultimate APV/FPV flight controller, would have meant parting with one of the two wheeled toys in the garage to do it though.

The range is significant and if it really can stay up for 40 minutes you can cover a pretty big area in that amount of time so think about that for a bit and you'll get an idea of what it can potentially do.

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
if it flew 40 minutes like i fly the disco it'd cover miles and miles....... multirotors and wind though. That can really change things. all things that fly, but especialy multis got so much wind resistance. nice rig. bet it's easy to fly

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
As easy as it can be, it is capable of fully autonomous flight, waypoint flight, target tracking (the ultimate feature for APV use IMO) and everything the more advanced hobby units can do only better and more accurately. From the Procerus website...

The Kestrel Autopilot System delivers three essential elements of successful UAV solutions:

• Robust guidance and control
  • Smooth and successful integration
  • Repeatability
Our advanced small autopilot system provides intelligent, autonomous flight control of single or multiple unmanned aerial vehicles, complete with GPS waypoint navigation and autonomous takeoff, flight and auto-landing capabilities for mini and micro UAVs. Combined with our Virtual Cockpit™ ground control software, the Kestrel is a highly effective, easily integrated avionics package for a variety of military and commercial applications.

The system uses an external GPS unit for inertial navigation and wireless modems communications between the ground station and autopilot. Kestrel Autopilot can guide mini and micro UAVs autonomously and/or receive dynamic user commands through the ground station, RC radio, and game pad controllers while providing live video feeds to the user. It uses three-axis rate gyros and accelerometers for attitude estimation, as well as differential and absolute air pressure sensors for airspeed and altitude measurement. This low-power, small autopilot solution is distinguished by simple, highly intuitive user interfaces, while providing real-time trajectory generation and tracking. Plus, it now includes wind estimation, onboard magnetometer and auto-trim capabilities.

I just noticed that pricing is still up on the website, a Kestrel 3.0 for hovering aircraft is $8500 list, the 2.4 version is a mere $5000...

blbills

Wow, I think it speaks volumes about our forum when you realize we have folks here from Lockheed Martin. Welcome to MRF, Brian!

Hey thanks guys. I'm just another one of you guys who's been fortunate enough to turn my hobby into a profession. I got picked up a few years ago by Procerus and they got acquired last year by Lockheed Martin.

Have thousands of hours on multis but mostly work related. My background is predominately in single-rotors. I have my own side business, PixAir Productions doing cinematography so that keeps me pretty occupied. But I love to keep updated on the MR forums. Grew up in the Seattle area and am good friends with Tabb.

Hey thanks guys. I'm just another one of you guys who's been fortunate enough to turn my hobby into a profession. I got picked up a few years ago by Procerus and they got acquired last year by Lockheed Martin.

Have thousands of hours on multis but mostly work related. My background is predominately in single-rotors. I have my own side business, PixAir Productions doing cinematography so that keeps me pretty occupied. But I love to keep updated on the MR forums. Grew up in the Seattle area and am good friends with Tabb.

Good to have you here on the forums.

nicwilke

I'm obviously biased but I think it looks much better than our competition, the AV Qube. Gotta love the handcontroller with the 8.5in outdoor readable screen. Too much fun.
Welcome Brian,
Very cool unit. I can see the Australian Army using these in the field, nicely pack down too.
What is the intended market? Armed services? Rescue? Industrial.... Actually, I'm answering my own question, all of the above... I'd love to fly one over the army barracks here in my city, like I did at 2:48 in this video (pause to see the Abrihams in the yard). The Army guys here love my 'drone' as they call it.