Problems with Arris Zhaoyun gimbal

Received Arris Zhaoyun pro 3-axis gimbal from Hobby Wing last friday. Attached it to MR, balanced it with my Sony Nex 6. Powered it by 12V output from the power distribution board. There are two problems:

1. I'm going to use Walkera Devo F4 + Rx601 as a cameraman's Tx/Rx (not the best choice, will upgrade later). If gimbal is only powered, but not connected to Rx, it works OK (stabilizes itself upon tilting the copter body). Connection of any channel (I'm interested in pitch and yaw only) to Rx makes the gimbal crazy. It makes small chaotic movements. Sometimes it follows the Tx controls, sometimes not. Moreover, motors get hot and battery looses charge. Apparently, high currents are running through it.
What am I doing wrong?

Update. Tried to connect Futaba 8J, channel regulated by rotating knob (other channel wires are not easily accessible). Works a bit better, at least follows controls. But still does some jiggling (camera is fixed in a solid and reliable way).

2. I have DJI iOSd mini. When gimbal is not powered, everything works fine, telemetry data are overlaid to the picture from camera. If I power the gimbal, telemetry disappears from screen! That's damn annoying! :mad:. Oddly, if camera AV output is unplugged from iOSD, then telemetry returns (on black screen of course). This effect persists even if camera is connected directly to iOSD, without using gimbal Video Output and Shutter ports. Apparently, there is some radio frequency disturbance?

Thanks to everybody for help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Contacted the seller, received only some blah-blah-blah in responce:
"The gimbal and the OSD could work separately, this is not the problem of them.
Maybe the settings?
"

I've sent them video. In the beginning gimbal is not powered, telemetry is visible. After gimbal powering and initializing (00:16) telemetry disappears. After unplugging the camera AV output (00:25), telemetry returns.

Here is wiring diagram. Camera + HDMI to AV transmitter are powered from camera battery. Video Tx from external 5V supply. DJI iOSD mini from PMU (which, in turn, is powered directly from the battery). Gimbal is powered from 12V output from PDB. Battery is 6s 6Ah 25C, so, I don't believe that gimbal can create such voltage drop through PDB to mess-up the iOSD.
View attachment 24963

Moreover, here is a video from another user who reports a very similar problem (at 3:10)

If I won't receive any solid answer from the manufacturer, I'll send this s**t back. Why, the heck, do I need a piece of equipment which messes up other electronics in a really weird and unpredictable way? :confused:

Moreover, despite manufacturer claims compatibility with Nex6, it is not fully true. Nex 6 is a bit higher than 5 and 7 (due to protruding knob on the top). Therefore, it is almost impossible to place it correctly withing the cage.
"It is compatible with most CCHD and micro DSLR in the market. Such as Sony Nex 5, Sony Nex 6, Sony Nex 7, Sony A6000, Canon EOS-M, Black Magic Pocket Camera and etc."

Attachments

• Arris.jpg
    Arris.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 258
Last edited by a moderator:

No solution was suggested by seller to cure the iOSD problem.
Sending the gimbal back to seller and asking for refund.

And the picture how Sony Nex 6 (doesn't) fit to the frame

View attachment 24972

Attachments

• IMG_20150609_075400.jpg
    IMG_20150609_075400.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 340

And nice dialogue with the seller via email :mad:

Hobby-Wing
"When you deliver the gimbal, please declare the value under $60, and declare it as “Defective Gimbal”
Me
"I will declare a real price of the goods in my customs declaration.
I've paid 200+ USD taxes to the State of Finland, calculated from the real price of the goods. Upon returning the item, I'll apply for reimbursement of taxes from the state. Therefore, I'm not going to report any fake values"​

Hobby-Wing:
"If you declare a true value, we need to pay much taxes.
And there are many problems at the Customs. We will not accept it.
From our technician, the gimbal does not influence the OSD. But as your request, we agree you to return it to us"

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Is that the only spot it hits? You could probably just cut that spot to allow it to clear if you wanted to keep the thing.

Sounds like they are screwing you on the customs deal.