Problem in setting Naza consistently with ESC

scuba

Hello everybody,

First a few words about my copter : after having started with a Phantom, I am currently switching to another Naza equipped copter, but, this time, custom made.
I just got an old copter (1 year old...) that was taking the dust in my neighbour garage, but never completed.
Here is the configuration :
. Frame from HK (roughly 40cm side)
. Turnigy Esc multistar 30A (stock)
. RC timer BC-2836/9 880kv motors
. Rc timer 10x4.5 carbon propellers
. Graupner MX-16 radio connected to naza through 1 cable (SUMO)
. Naza v2
. PMU v2
. Gps

Everything is correctly configured : I receive correct feedback on the Naza assistant of the radio commands (except the failsafe but it is another story)

my problem : as soon as I install the propellers and start flying, the copter is very unstable and cannot be controlled : I am pretty convinced it comes from the thrust control managed by the Naza : Either the command is correct and the ESC/motor don't interpret it correctly, or it comes from the radio.
I tried to calibrate the thrust course of the ESC consistently with the radio but I must admit I am not sure it worked...
Another strange thing I discovered is that the max RPM and responsivness can be obtained when the ESC is directly connected to the RX, but it is much more lazzy when connected to the Naza. When flying, when command set to Idle on ground, the copter has almost enough lift to fly (at least on 2 propellers).

anybody to help me (ESC calibration, incorrect configuration, ...?

thanks in advance !

Franck

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Custom Multirotors are plagued with additional challenges as the missing component is sound engineering in the design. One issue that stands out is that the motor KV seems too high.... lower rpm motors with greater torque are more efficient. The flying characteristics you describe also appear to indicate your MR airframe is suffering from heavy motor and/or prop vibration...... a very common problem with custom or modified designs especially when the motor size is increased..... The FC cannot make sense of what the IMU sensors are telling it and there is no failsafe for this scenario.... the FC will try to do the best it can with the input data.... even if it makes no sense at all.... which always happens when vibration overwhelms the sensors.

Hello everybody,

First a few words about my copter : after having started with a Phantom, I am currently switching to another Naza equipped copter, but, this time, custom made.
I just got an old copter (1 year old...) that was taking the dust in my neighbour garage, but never completed.
Here is the configuration :
. Frame from HK (roughly 40cm side)
. Turnigy Esc multistar 30A (stock)
. RC timer BC-2836/9 880kv motors
. Rc timer 10x4.5 carbon propellers
. Graupner MX-16 radio connected to naza through 1 cable (SUMO)
. Naza v2
. PMU v2
. Gps

Everything is correctly configured : I receive correct feedback on the Naza assistant of the radio commands (except the failsafe but it is another story)

my problem : as soon as I install the propellers and start flying, the copter is very unstable and cannot be controlled : I am pretty convinced it comes from the thrust control managed by the Naza : Either the command is correct and the ESC/motor don't interpret it correctly, or it comes from the radio.
I tried to calibrate the thrust course of the ESC consistently with the radio but I must admit I am not sure it worked...
Another strange thing I discovered is that the max RPM and responsivness can be obtained when the ESC is directly connected to the RX, but it is much more lazzy when connected to the Naza. When flying, when command set to Idle on ground, the copter has almost enough lift to fly (at least on 2 propellers).

anybody to help me (ESC calibration, incorrect configuration, ...?

thanks in advance !

Franck

soler

What voltage battery are you using? if this is 3S or 4S then the KV of the motors should be fine, the stock DJI ones are 920KV, the size of the motor is larger in comparison. If you are running 4S then look at changing to a 8inch prop to give less lift.

Things to check,
1) Are you flying in Manual / Atti / GPS? Manual will not self level so will be more difficult to control
2) If you are not sure about the ESC calibration look up on youtube how to do this, there should be a bleep when you enter calibration and also a different one when you set the high setpoint. Do this with the ESC plugged into the Receiver and not the Naza
3)Did you calibrate the Naza before flight?

If you can post a video of it flying it will certainly help.

Rainman

Double check the basic stuff, in particular that you've got the correct motors in the right positions and that the props are on the right way around on the correct motors.

scuba

Double check the basic stuff, in particular that you've got the correct motors in the right positions and that the props are on the right way around on the correct motors.

Hello !

thanks for your answers. Regarding the basics, everything (motor position, prop way, ...) is correct.
Regarding the battery, I am using a 3S.
For the ESC throttle calibration, what is strange is the fact that, when I enter the calibration mode, I cannot hear the expected beep, but another one. And it is the same when I move the throttle back to 0.
Anyway I have decided to upgrade the ESC with SimonK firmware. Let's see if it improves the behavior...
I will try to set the gains differently as well..

By the way, if I have still the same issue, I will post a video...

thanks !

Franck