Picloc 3x setting experience etc.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... Changed FC cam settings in MK tool, to correct channels for servo out 3 + 5 (4 occupied by cam trigger). servo out 3,4,5 should act normal servo channel from a RX right?

No offense but the Stockholm English makes it a tad tricky to follow precisely what you have done to accommodate the PL3X. Correct me if I have misunderstood but are you feeding the PL3X the signal from the FC channels 3 & 5? The same channels that used to drive the cinestar gimbal before installing Picloc?

Because if this is the case then you are feeding picloc with some strange signals. Picloc needs to be connected directly to the Rx and the servos, not the FC.

I have arranged an Av200 to be one-man or two-man operation. One-man operation can use either the FC or the 3X to stabilise the mount. The first option connects the Tilt and Roll servos directly to the normal gimbal stabilisation outputs of the FC. The second option is more involved and utilises a second Rx. Two-man operation has the Tilt and Roll servos connected to the picloc. The FC outputs are not used at all in the latter case.

As I said, perhaps I have not quite understood what you have done so if you have connected everything correctly please excuse me. But, for the purposes of the thread can you please confirm whether or not you are completely bypassing the FC when attempting to use the 3X to stabilise the mount?

zellevision

Freelance
@Mombasa: Lol, no offence taken, and thanks for you input :). You are correct. Normally I do use 2 sep RX, 1 for video, 1 for flying ofc.
But, for 1 man operation I wanted to go thru the FC to the picloc, and that didnt work. And after testing, when I move back to the FC, the servo out channels aint responding at all. Picloc works as it should when I connect the servos on it without FC connection.

No offense but the Stockholm English makes it a tad tricky to follow precisely what you have done to accommodate the PL3X.... Correct me if I have misunderstood but are you feeding the PL3X the signal from the FC channels 3 & 5? The same channels that used to drive the cinestar gimbal before installing Picloc?
Yes

Because if this is the case then you are feeding picloc with some strange signals. Picloc needs to be connected directly to the Rx and the servos, not the FC.
Ok, point taken, now I need to know, as the FC servo output seems to be broken, for 1 man operation, if I can use the "normal" channel out from the RX at the same time its connected to FC with the multichannel?

As I said, perhaps I have not quite understood what you have done so if you have connected everything correctly please excuse me. But, for the purposes of the thread can you please confirm whether or not you are completely bypassing the FC when attempting to use the 3X to stabilise the mount?
Np, both, if I bypass the FC for 2 man operation, no problems. But now (as above) no activity on FC servo out channels, and thats after I tested RX->FC->PL3X

Lanzar

Hello. I realy dont see the point in connecting the fc to piclock. Piclock has his own stabilization so if u connect it to batery and set it up it will do roll and nick and pan by itself.
Maybe u have burned the fc chanels 3 and 5.
If u want 360 2 man operator than u need extra transmiter and reciver and extra batery for mount. Othervise u take 3 chanels form your reciver and drive the piclock pan tilt and roll directly from your transmiter. Just be carefull on the cables so u dont pan too much and pull the cables out.

Why did u connect the FC to piclock. What was the purpose of it.

zellevision

Freelance
Hi Lanzar.
Hello. I realy dont see the point in connecting the fc to piclock. Piclock has his own stabilization so if u connect it to batery and set it up it will do roll and nick and pan by itself. Maybe u have burned the fc chanels 3 and 5.
Yes, could be so, but so strange that the FC cant handle regular servo out... and the reason..

for 1 man operation, RX is an graupner MR-16 with multichannel(PPM) directly to FC, as I dont know if I can connect "normally" directly to the RX AND the PPM to FC, I supposed this was the best way. And was carefull to use FC servo out 3+5 because these should act like normal channels...

If u want 360 2 man operator than u need extra transmiter and reciver and extra batery for mount. Othervise u take 3 chanels form your reciver and drive the piclock pan tilt and roll directly from your transmiter. Just be carefull on the cables so u dont pan too much and pull the cables out.
100% aware of the 2man operation requirements(have 2man op helis...), thats not the problem. Still the same Q, can I use 3 channels from the RX and the PPM at the same time...

Lanzar

Ofc u can use 3 chanels from rx and ppm for the hely. But be carefull that u dont use same channels. I would use the 2 poti buttons on the graupner for tilt and roll or pan.

zellevision

Freelance
Hi again!
Ofc u can use 3 chanels from rx and ppm for the hely. But be carefull that u dont use same channels. I would use the 2 poti buttons on the graupner for tilt and roll or pan.
Now thats perfect! Exactly the aswer I was hoping for, ure faster then Graupners support ;). Thanx alot!

Lanzar

Hi again!

Now thats perfect! Exactly the aswer I was hoping for, ure faster then Graupners support ;). Thanx alot!

We often use ppm for FC and then 1 or 2 normal RX chanels for servos. Like for liting the legs on Skyjib or other stuff. Glad to help out.

hexacop

HexaCop
Hello. I realy dont see the point in connecting the fc to piclock. Piclock has his own stabilization so if u connect it to batery and set it up it will do roll and nick and pan by itself.
Maybe u have burned the fc chanels 3 and 5.

But you can do it and it works just fine, and you can do it even with channel 1+2 ...
You only need to disable the servo compensation with the MKtool (set servo compensation to 0)
Connected the output of FC (tilt servo) with Picloc input 1
I've done this and it works perfectly.

Ok, but in the meantime I've upgraded to 360° pan option and then it is not possible anymore if you want to avoid broken cables.
With the 360° option I'm using 2 Graupner Hott receivers which can be used in two modes:

1. One transmitter only (pilot operates the copter and the gimbal) the transmitter is bound to both receivers
You need to bind the gimbal RX first and then bind the copter receiver.
RX1 is connected with two RX channels with the Picloc (pan and tilt)
RX1 channel output 1 mapped to potentiometer 7 on the MX20
RX1 channel output 4 mapped to potentiometer 8 on the MX20
RX1 channel output 5 mapped to a momentary switch (used to release the camera) on the MX20
Picloc is connected with the 3 servos and powered by external BEC

RX2 is connected in the usual PPM way with the copter.

2. Two transmitters
(pilot controls the copter and camera operator controls the gimbal)
In this case a second MX20 is used to operate the camera gimbal.
bind RX1 to camera transmitter
and RX2 to the pilot transmitter

Both options are saved in the transmitter so it is easy to switch operating modes...

zellevision

Freelance
Hi Hexacop.
But you can do it and it works just fine, and you can do it even with channel 1+2 ...
You only need to disable the servo compensation with the MKtool (set servo compensation to 0) Connected the output of FC (tilt servo) with Picloc input 1 I've done this and it works perfectly.
Thats what I tryed and the other channels, now none of them works... :(

Ok, but in the meantime I've upgraded to 360° pan option and then it is not possible anymore if you want to avoid broken cables.
With the 360° option I'm using 2 Graupner Hott receivers which can be used in two modes:
Have the 360 too, but havent put it together yet. With the 360 its more or less required to do 2man operation.

1. One transmitter only (pilot operates the copter and the gimbal) the transmitter is bound to both receivers
You need to bind the gimbal RX first and then bind the copter receiver.
RX1 is connected with two RX channels with the Picloc (pan and tilt)
RX1 channel output 1 mapped to potentiometer 7 on the MX20
RX1 channel output 4 mapped to potentiometer 8 on the MX20
RX1 channel output 5 mapped to a momentary switch (used to release the camera) on the MX20
Picloc is connected with the 3 servos and powered by external BEC

RX2 is connected in the usual PPM way with the copter.

2. Two transmitters
(pilot controls the copter and camera operator controls the gimbal)
In this case a second MX20 is used to operate the camera gimbal.
bind RX1 to camera transmitter
and RX2 to the pilot transmitter

Both options are saved in the transmitter so it is easy to switch operating modes...
I'll go for the option 2, after all, IMO, to have a smooth pan, tilt and video, a video operator is a must.

Just hoocked up the tilt and camtrigger to channels 11+12, and PPM as normal to FC, works great. Thanks man.. Now I can wait and dont have to order new FC asap.. :)

Hi again!

Just for your interest Zelle, I played with my PL3X connected to mk FC outputs and actually got it to work.. However, when initiating FC, the gimbal servos made a nasty uncontrolled ghost movement before stabilizing.. Sometimes reaching binding on roll, so I scrapped the idéa.
The trick using PPM and RX outputs in parallel was news for me too, many thanks for that! :livid://Lasse

GeorgeM

Want to thank this 'community' for helping eachother in my short absence.

Right now working verrrrry hard on making the 'next leap up' in firmware/Toolz/functions, and also for next batch availability, which should cover all recent requests in the pipeline.

Thanks.

If you want to beta test the new firmware, drop me an email ( NO PM PLS!!! ) with the SUBJECT title being "BETA_TESTER" and your name after 2 **.

Example:

BETA_TESTER ** Joe Bloggs

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

krachbummente89

Hey there,
im new here and i don't want wo annoy with an offtopic post or something, but i'm having some real troubles with my picloc3x...
The biggest problem is, that with the new firmware installed ( HD55 x3) my computer doesn't allow me to switch on "continous updates"...otherwise the picloctool crashes.
Even after going back to the HD55 firmware ( the version i had installed on it before) my computer gives me the same errormessage: the value 6000 is invalid.
I hope that someone of you can help me out.

luchtshot

Hi all,

Now our octo and quadro are flying again I did install the piclocks. Now I found that the 2 3x piclocks I have one with 53 and the second with 55 firmware. I try to get control of them. The 53firmware version won't see the futaba receiver inputs at i1,2,3,4 even when the piclock is configured to look at the i1,2,3,4,5 inputs. The servo outputs work, only I cannot position them. T have to use 3xv e055 software to configure. All the other ones stop working with an error after 20 seconds.
The piclock with 55 firmware recognized the futaba receiver and than the software (3xv e055 and h55) crashes.
I have a flying job to do next weekend and try to get one of the piclocs working. Any body an idee witch firmware with witch software works best?
thanks in advance

Hans

AlexeiD

I have just preordered from http://aerodron.ch/ and wonder then will they receive the next batch. Recently guys from that shop told me they expect pro versions in the middle of March. But they don't have it yet.
I'm from the UK, where is the best place for me to pre order for the next batch? Or is that sold out already?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

@ Mombasa & George:
The new FW and toolz is very nice. Only issue is a roll drift. there is nooffset when the motors spin up. but the roll does not find center, every when just holding the nount in hand and rolling it.
Another small issue is when you tilt the mount past the Limit set in toolz, the power to the tilt servo turns off. as you rotate it slowly back to its opteration zone, it comes back to life.
For me I think It should just stop when the limit is reached.

Graham

andrewrob

I have just preordered from http://aerodron.ch/ and wonder then will they receive the next batch. Recently guys from that shop told me they expect pro versions in the middle of March. But they don't have it yet.

Thanks Aliexei, are you based in the UK too? How much was it, I don't recognise the currency on that site.

Also I was thinking about getting the 3x standard rather than the pro, does anyone know if the standard suffers from drift or is that still ok? I'm only stabilising roll and tilt on an AV130.

Thanks