Picloc 3x setting experience etc.

holco

Explanation from George,

Here's how PID works-

P is the prportional gain adjustment of the error that is present between a setpoint ( your input command ) and the IMU output.

So, when your IMU is calibrated, the output is 0. Your setpoint is also 0 ( stick unmoved ) and therefore, servo output is zero + 1500uS ( centre)

When you move your stick slew to command ... say.... a 15 degree change on tilt, and the IMU is still standing on the camera mount unmoved, you dial in P-Gain, to an amount of how much servo has to move to go to that angle.
OR
If you by hand move the camera mount 15 degrees, the setpoint is still 0 and the imu feels a 15 degree change. The P-gain will also now determine how much the servo has to move backwards to keep the tilt horizontal as before.

ALL good !!.

The D is what I call Acceleration... This is always looking and comparing at what the last rotation rate was against the current rotation rate, and if it notices a change, then this is amplified by the D value. This means, that if you started to rotate, then you have a value to work with, and this is fed to the servo to further accelerate it into the direction of change. when you reach a constant rate of change, this does not have any difference in value, and therefore this value goes low.
Since vibration is a constant change of direction ( oscillation ), then with the D-gain, we are essentially also amplifying vibrations.

All good 2 !!

The I term or what I call smooth is the Integral gain.
This is an accumulator of change between setpoint and actual angle. so when we start rotating, +1,+2,+3..... at this time we have rotated +1+1+1 = +3
It's a relatively slow controller that is accumulating change, and adding it into the PID mix.
With this function mixed to the above two controls, if there is any long term error between the setpoint and the actual position, this gets accumulated fast.

So, with the IMU out of axis as when one is doing proportional control, there will always be an offset... so what this control will do.. is actually keep adding to the offset to itself
like in math: x = x + offset.

You can see that if the offset is constant ( eg.. IMU on AV130, you command tilt down at -25 degrees, and the servo moves to -25 ( due to P gain ) and the offset is still there between your setpoint (-25) and IMU still on table ( 0 ) .. the formula is now:

x=x+25
25=25+25
50=50+25
75=75+25.... and so on.

So there was the Decay... or a limiter on this ever growing value. ... WHY ??

Because.... this I term is useless on Proportional systems like TILT and ROLL on an AV130,

BUT... is needed on 360 servo systems.. where the servo is a stupid device which doesn't know its position and its position is determined by Picloc sitting in the motor shaft of the servo.

This means... that when you command a position for the Picloc ( Now mounted ON the camera plate ), The accumulated error now has a function....

Because you cammand Picloc to get the camera to -25 degrees tilt ( Same as before ),
but now the Picloc itself is being moved to go to that camera angle of -25.
So as it approaches the final setppoint of -25, the I term ( or error signal ) is becoming progressively lower,
but it is important to have this control, because it drives the servo harder depending on how much travel the servo has to move to arrive to the setpoint...
because the farther out it is, the higher will be the error, and it will get closer to zero ( and hopefully not overshoot ) as the setpoint is reached.

Therefore, I think that by now, with the research you may have done ( wiki ) and also my above simple explanation, you should have a better understanding of what the PID controls do :)

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
guys i dont want to worsen your day but i dont think there is a chance to install anything without georges server. The installation needs the server side. The installation itself is only a script getting data from the server.

At the same time it looks like their are DNS problems since the domain is not even resolved at the moment.

Traceroute or DNS lookup stay blank, thus my DNS server cant even resolve. So if georges ISP messed up the DNS entry what it seems like it going to take some time until the DNS Databases are all updated again.

In general there should be only one option and that is that the tool gets installed locally.

Boris

MultiHexa

Peter,

for me it works now (hint of George).
You must not use PiclocToolz-3X v.E055.application to start. That was my mistake.

Under Start / Programs / _RotorPics.com /
You can find the icon (PiclocToolz v.E055.appref-3X-ms) to the start of the tool. Then it goes without internet.

Sorry George, was my fault. You can not see the forest for the trees. :nevreness:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Peter,

for me it works now (hint of George).
You must not use PiclocToolz-3X v.E055.application to start. That was my mistake.

Under Start / Programs / _RotorPics.com /
You can find the icon (PiclocToolz v.E055.appref-3X-ms) to the start of the tool. Then it goes without internet.

Sorry George, was my fault. You can not see the forest for the trees. :nevreness:

what about installtion there is not quick fix ?

I've read this thread completely now and I haven't noticed that many builds where the PL is mounted on the camera plate, not using any external pots, just the PL for feedback and CR servos. This is how I plan to use mine. Anyone else using it this way? Thanks Boris for your help getting my account working properly.

GeorgeM

Guys.. Thanks for your patience during the downtime from my server. I did not even get a reply from them.. talk about customer service. !!

Only too happy that my website is up again. ( Thanks PeterD for acknowledging )

Sorry for the downtime!! Its not due to me, but my website hoster.

A quick note about PiclocToolz:

I cannot issue copies of PiclocToolz other then from my website.
The process is tracking down for **certain individuals who are, attempting / already trying, to make copies of Picloc hardware**.

Let me just point out for you (** who are trying to copy **) that this will simply not work for **you** as easily as **you** may think !
Just want to make your life easier, dear **you**. Perhaps saving you lots of $$$ in components that you'll have to bin.

This is not a challenge.. just pointing it out that simply copying pcb+hardware or dumping eeprom will just not work for **you**.
The installation is working in a controlled environment.

To all other ppl.... sorry for the rant....

Just had to explain why PiclocToolz will not work well other then from a website download and install on a Picloc with a valid serial number.

On another more +ve note....

How's the firmware with the 3X multiplied D and I Values working for you ??
Derivative: ( acceleration)
Is it visible that too much D value will just add noise.. and render the camera mount too nervous ??

Integral: ( smooth for 360 CR servos ) and (do not use - for proportional servos ):
As one can see clearly ( and one must pay attention to it to see it ) ... when you increased the smooth value ( Integral ) the mount started oscillating very slowly...
This is exactly what I explained to Holco in post #502 up above.

Integral is not designed to be used on proportional servos. It only creates a 'wondering about' about the setpoint ( where you want the mount to be ).
However this is needed for CR ( continuous rotation ) servos, on mounts like PS1's and also on any PAN axis that uses no feedback poti.

Just wanted also to thank you Boris, for your kind video upload.
Your Cinestar looks really nice BTW :)

Thanks!!

George

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I've read this thread completely now and I haven't noticed that many builds where the PL is mounted on the camera plate, not using any external pots, just the PL for feedback and CR servos. This is how I plan to use mine. Anyone else using it this way? Thanks Boris for your help getting my account working properly.

I have a 3X mounted more or less on the camera plate of a Copterworks Pan>Tilt>Roll mount. One of the things to be aware of when mounting your PL on the camera plate is that the servo cables for all three axes, plus the two Auxiliaries, will all have to have sufficient slack to accommodate the extremes of Tilt and particularly Roll and then they all have to meet up with the receiver somewhere. The PH/PS1 etc. Pan>Roll>Tilt mounts have the PL mounted off-axis and this not only removes the long cable issue, but the Picloc setup is simpler.

If your mount does not have external feedback pots you can still mount the PL off-axis and use proportional servos. Once Picloc has been 'told where horizontal is' it will keep the mount level without the external feedback pots. Roll needs to be on auto to keep that horizon level so a proportional servo that returns to centre with the Tx stick is not a big issue. For the most part, only the Tilt axis needs to be left at a fixed angle for any length of time and this can be assigned to the throttle stick with the ratchet.

GeorgeM

Thanks MombasaFlash for your insight on P>R>T mounts and Picloc in self stabilization mode .... very valuable.

Thanks MombasaFlash. You've made me think about the PL positioning, and the ramifications of placing it with the camera. I'm so new to this that I only powered up my PL today and updated the FW to the latest version. I'm not sure what the two Auxiliaries are for yet, but I guess I'll figure that out at some point.

Askman, who is designing my DSLR gimbal/LG, is making allowance for every possibility, with external pots and CR or proportional servos, and 4:1 drive on all 3 axis, so I'll have the ability to do it any way I wish. It will be a 2 operator setup with an AUW of around 12 lbs. which I hope will tend to smooth things out a bit.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and I feel privileged to have gotten one of the first Piclocs. I've got a lot to learn yet. We can all be confident in the final product with someone as dedicated and intelligent as George at the wheel. I'm looking forward to the learning experience.

Kenny

dr ray

dr ray
Hi Dr Ray,

Sorry about the USB. I can help you fix it if you have a soldering iron. Its just a question of retouching the 5 usb connections at the back of the usb, with the tip of the soldering iron...therefore refreshing the solder joint.

@george
OK, after soldering it works again. Thanks,
Know, just for myself: Is the HD55 on your homepage the same as the HD55 3xdL?

i`m happy with a yes or no :)

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
As many will be using their 3X with an AV200 I am curious to know where you mount it. I first mounted it on this plate at the back here ...

040.3X-tray-1.jpg

and then discovered that the Roll servo has incredibly strong magnets that overcome the Earth's field by a factor of roughly 50,000,000, thus making the PL compass totally useless. So I swapped it all to the front here ...

041.3X-tray-2.jpg

The situation was vastly improved with the factor reduced to around 10,000,000!

So, I may as well have bought the 3X standard because I don't find ANYWHERE sensible on the AV200 that is not plagued by magnetic fields from the servos. The intention is for this 360 mount to be a direct and self contained swappable option for the standard DW gear with HiSight SLR2 mount so I don't want the PL going on the airframe.

Veering off to the side for a moment, my other concern with the AV200 route is that it all ends up being way too heavy. That combination in the photos above weighs 2.9kg. That is nearly a kg more than the advertised payload capacity of an AD-8 - and this is before the LiPos's have been factored in.

peterd

As many will be using their 3X with an AV200 I am curious to know where you mount it. I first mounted it on this plate at the back here ...

40.3X-tray-1.jpg

and then discovered that the Roll servo has incredibly strong magnets that overcome the Earth's field by a factor of roughly 50,000,000, thus making the PL compass totally useless. So I swapped it all to the front here ...

41.3X-tray-2.jpg

The situation was vastly improved with the factor reduced to around 10,000,000!

So, I may as well have bought the 3X standard because I don't find ANYWHERE sensible on the AV200 that is not plagued by magnetic fields from the servos. The intention is for this 360 mount to be a direct and self contained swappable option for the standard DW gear with HiSight SLR2 mount so I don't want the PL going on the airframe.

Veering off to the side for a moment, my other concern with the AV200 route is that it all ends up being way too heavy. That combination in the photos above weighs 2.9kg. That is nearly a kg more than the advertised payload capacity of an AD-8 - and this is before the LiPos's have been factored in.

Hi,

I also moved Picloc same reason......I'm the smallest magnetic field was measuredusing a smallcompass

https://picasaweb.google.com/116792922052207517586/PremiestneniePicloc?authkey=Gv1sRgCMa0osrviuaWUQ

Peter

Connection problems

Hey there,
new problems.

I installed HD55 on my PiclocPro with FlashMagic. Rebooted the picloc, started PiclocToolz HD55.

As described on Georges Website, I deselected Continuous Updates, pressed Connect, it seemed that there was no connection.
Then I hit Factory Default+Restart, nothing happened.

After a restart of PiclocToolz the connection worked perfect. It even seemed that it kept my old settings, great!

I connected the servos, the radio, the power and switched it on again. Nothing happened. A new try to connect with PiclocToolz failed. Even after a reboot of the PC.

I tried to do everything again, new Flashmagic, etc., now the connection to PiclocToolz always fails. The white LED is on for a few seconds, then it turns off. When I have PiclocToolz open, the LED stays on.

Any ideas? Help! The sun is shining, no wind, a free day, I really like to test the new firmware!!
By the way, I use Windows 7.

Thanks!
Andy

DKTek

Too bad that we can't just remote the compass... Recalibrating the PL after everything is installed helps some.

@ George, what is the adverse affect of off-setting the PL as Peter did? What about putting it further away from the interference? Say, in line with the tilt axis on the opposite side from the tilt servo, lower on the landing gear?

Obviously the best location is on the intersecting points of rotation but unless the camera manufacturers start building in IMU's on the back side of the sensors that the user can access, it won't happen.

rene.m

Hi,

I also moved Picloc same reason......I'm the smallest magnetic field was measuredusing a smallcompass

https://picasaweb.google.com/116792922052207517586/PremiestneniePicloc?authkey=Gv1sRgCMa0osrviuaWUQ

Peter

wow, that i haven't expected. so strong magnetics around the servos. The recommended or showed place to stick it on the AV200 and other gimbals are actually not good for the PL-Pro and the magnetometer.

an other question: the servos (prop-tilt+roll) are moving now slower than they worked before with an earlier version. so, the are always directing beyond the original direction it. (like in the tutorial-video, where the smooth-integral is on. On the Pan with the 360-Servo, i can adjust it with the Propotional-Value, plus acceleration and smooth. But i can not give more propotional Value for the Roll and Tilt with a poti, right? Right. Who to fast these servos up?

and: the roll without slew-mode is only moving few millimeter. jochen wrote already about it:
Today i made the update to the latest firmware. L
ooks fine so far, but i have a very small range on Roll with the manual stick control.
When the mount is stabilizing the range is fine. It travels the whole way from one side to the other.
Roll is in proporional mode and with my Stick i can only move it some millimeters.
I tried to pull up Dual Rate in my transmitter to 140 % but it changes just a bit.
When i change to slew mode it travels the whole range.
Also pan and tilt moves very slow. Great for
Normal shooting, but a bit to slow for action shoots
Anyone with the same problem or a solution ?

Another problem . I have a small servo for moving the video antenna up and down. Its on Pl as servo 5.
Now the servo way is only about 10 degree. Earlier it was about 110 degree.
George , Is it possibel to change the servo resolution for every servo?