Picloc 3x setting experience etc.

great idea Mario.

Lars, I trust you know what you're doing so sorry If I came across poorly. Maybe an isolated power supply would help, good luck with it.
Bart

Hah! No worries! I have some further tests to do then, and I already planned for the GoPro on board.. :)

I also consider changing back to mk FC, to be able to use large props, and achieve a much smoother ride over all.. This if I discover that the setup is to quick and responsive for video with the WK-M/small prop setup..
//Lars

My experience with the picloc is when using acceleration, less (ore none) is better, in the video it looks like you are using way to much.

Holco! I think you were quite spot on...

I did some tuning in PiclocToolz, and heavily reduced acceleration as you suggested..
In this video, I present 3 clips in a row when hovering inside my garage.. Camera aimed at the garage door at about 1,5 meters, varying the distance to the door between 0.5m to 1.5 meters.
This reveals any unwanted movements from the gimbal quite clearly.

I also between second and third flight, verified the half satisfying result with a quick flight outside before I made the last move..

(Password "better")

Thank you again Holco, this gives me confidence to carry on with the setup!:02.47-tranquillity:

Last edited by a moderator:

holco

Looking good Garagelars!!

If there is any room you can try to increase the voltage on the servo's , Picloc can handle max 8,4V.

glad I could help :)

Looking good Garagelars!!

If there is any room you can try to increase the voltage on the servo's , Picloc can handle max 8,4V.

glad I could help :)

I will look in to that, I use CC BEC PRO that can be voltage set in CastleLink, but I dont know how high voltage my Savöx servos can handle...

//Lars

TommyzT

Little off topic..
Those of you who are wondering who the mysterious handsome young man in the background was in Garagelars´s crap2 vid. Well, It was me.
And this is what actually happened:

Well, not far from my feelings right now...
Had the opportunity to test outside today, and Im very far from the result I´m looking for. Also fine-tuned acceleration a bit more, but no better.. Small twitches on tilt ruining the video.

Following steps will be:
1. Swap back the stabi to WK-M built in for comparison. If not perfect...
2. Change to mk FC and ESC:s, 14" props and mk built in stabi. If not perfect..
3. Swap to 13x65" CF props. If not perfect..
4. Cry...

//Lars

Well, not far from my feelings right now...
Had the opportunity to test outside today, and Im very far from the result I´m looking for. Also fine-tuned acceleration a bit more, but no better.. Small twitches on tilt ruining the video.

Following steps will be:
1. Swap back the stabi to WK-M built in for comparison. If not perfect...
2. Change to mk FC and ESC:s, 14" props and mk built in stabi. If not perfect..
3. Swap to 13x65" CF props. If not perfect..
4. Cry...

//Lars

Ok, step one done.
WK-M stabi sucks.. Stabilizes like Picloc without any acceleration, Pitch movement limited to less than 90 degrees (impossible to point cam straight down, and still have up to horizontal compensation), impossible to adjust roll from TX, also makes an unwanted full stroke ghost movement when initializing jeopardizing both cam and mount.. NOT GOOD.

On to step two...
//Lars

Lars, your thorough methodology is impressive. I'm following this closely as I'm having similar issues with my 3XP on a CS360 gimbal. No matter what adjustments I make I can not eliminate what seem to be random anomalies. To help isolate what might be happening more closely I built a test stand with a 'lazy susan' roller bearing so I can manipulate the gimbal on the bench while watching its behavior carefully. At this point I think something fundamental in the firmware will need to be changed. George, is their anything we can do on our ends to help you?

nick

Hi! Glad (or sad) I'm not alone in this matter..
There is as from today a new FW on picloc website, that hopefully fixes the problem! According to George It's a HD high res FW with x10 higher res on tilt and roll.. I just downloaded it (and new PiclocToolz) this morning and will do some tests in the afternoon! Will post results afterwards..

//Lars

achta

Hello all,

we did some Flight test and i can say this firmware version HD55 is the best what you can have at the moment....
the stabilisation is rearly near to a cineflex :) IF your setup is perfect, and i mean not the picloc only!!
The important think is that your camera-mount have to be physical perfect,
i talk about a mount like this:
http://www.cinecopter.at/

lg achta

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
worth changing ? I still have the first or second firmware version on it an have no jitters or probs ? should i change to HD55 ?

Boris

Remoteworks

Hi George,

Great work on the new firmware :) working very well on the bench (CS 360)
One thing i found is that i can't disable stabilization on pan axes. not yet ready for it :-(
It looks disabled but when going back to tap it is enabled again

RW

Looks much better, at least from inside my garage door so far.. :tennis:
However, I can not get the RX input on tilt to influence fully to make a full stroke! Only moves a bit around center, even if travel in the MX-20 is set to +/- 125% (max)

I can read the radio input inside Toolz, and it shows input value vary from 1000 to 2000, but just slightly influences the servo output signal..
Can not find anything else to adjust.. worked fine before FW update.

//Lars

Piranha

The important think is that your camera-mount have to be physical perfect,
i talk about a mount like this

lg achta

Wow, what a fundamental mount! It seems that there is no need in Picloc at all with the gimbal like that, the gravity by itself will manage the job ;)

George, I've installed HD55 and I'm re-doing my entire setup to make sure it's as optimized as possible. A few questions and requests:

1) What's the timetable to add new orientation options? Would be ideal to allow any installation orientation but to start I'd love a vertical install where the connectors are still to the side but logo side is facing 'out' i.e. USB is horizontal.

2) Can you offer any specifics regarding the deadband and how we know when it's dialed in?

3) On the FUNCTIONS/SLEW SETUP tab what is the function of the right most (third) checkbox on the Tilt axis? Below it are three vertical lines.

4) How sensitive is the magnetometer to surrounding servos/motors?

nick

dr ray

dr ray
Hi Gerorge, to the HD55

1. Bravo for the AUX 5 with pan stop, perfekt. Please don`t change anything on that.
2.Bravo for the Aux 4 go to home. Smooth for all axis. Perfect. Same, don`t change it.
2.1 Pan performans got much better, cool.

3. Proportional Setups...i can not feel any difference playing around with it, may be you can explain with some words?

4.Magnetiometer is used, i think, the tag, its working the opposite right now? Can that be?

5. I missing the acceleration-Power of tilt and pan axis, I`m on 1000 with both sliders. It was perfect before...please more power on derivative!

6. Functions...-funktions, e-stop is only working when it was go to home before. What i woud like to say is, e-stop ok works, go to home ok, e-stop ok servos work again, then back to middle 0uS as normal, but know if you woud like to go for e-stop ???does not work...its not so handy...works only if you go down to gotohome and then e-stop comes to function. Sorry, my vocabularyis is a bit limitet.

@nick
I got the servo 3cm by the picloc, magnetometer gets not effectet. Only the mini usb plug, de-or connecting does some change. But practically its not relevant.

have a nice day george, and tx for you effort

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Japp same here just updated and dialed in the gimbal again. Acceleration doesnt work like before or not at all. No matter how high i push the values i don't get the oscillations like i did before if the variable was to high.

Boris

I remember one of the first versions the acceleration also didnt work !

GeorgeM

Hi Guys, I deliberately reduced the acceleration factor, because I noticed that many ( who had/have slow servos ) are bumping this value to max in order to get maximum performance... but then... the mount becomes noisy and jittery.. and then it's not Picloc's fault !!

The acceleration is amplifying the changes in direction ( as measured by the IMU) and (small or medium) changes in directions are also called 'vibrations' in my book. Hence, mount becomes nervous and this is misinterpreted as jitter.

But.. to your heart's content, I'll cook a firmware version with X2 amplified values for Acceleration and Smooth ( Derivative and Integral ) for your testing needs. Then let me know, and re-tailor these for near future.

I'll post again as soon as I upload the said firmwares.

Thanks !!