Photohigher RSGS Skyline Owners thread

aknauer

1.1.6 is a backwards step for my setup.

With 1.1.4 I'm getting almost perfection straight from my 5D on an AV200.

I tried the new firmware with the new software and the new firmware with the old software. Terrible results even when I unplugged one of the servos. Lots of jitter on both roll & tilt.

Once I re-loaded 1.1.4 it was silky smooth. Even gusting wind about 15+ mph I was getting results that with minor post stabilisation would be commercial.

PH have advised me not to use 1.1.4 however but hey - they said we'd get Rock Solid Gimbal Stabilisation so what do they know?

I tried the 1.1.4 as well - and it is a lot more quiet than the 1.1.6.
There is still some jitter on Tilt, but that may be due to my power setup - UBEC 6V to Skyline and 1 Servo, independent battery to the other servo. I have to rip the "H-Loom" out of another gimbal to try - yikes.

Now there is no Roll induced by Pan, but Tilt induced by Pan.

RotorTalk

No Longer Active
I just loaded V1.1.6 with very limited success. First of all I had it thrashing around wildly until I realised the documentation for the release failed to stress that during the firmware upgrade (write to EEPROM) you have to WAIT UNTIL THE SKYLINE RED LED TURNS TO BLUE (which occurs way after the software progress bar is finished) then you can start setting level etc. Anyway - once I'd run through the setup I plugged the tilt into my Futaba Rx. Now when I boot the RSGS it whacks the tilt right up until I touch the tilt stick whereupon it levels instantly. I've also got starboard roll creep resulting from tilt input. Here's a vid I've forwarded to PH.: http://youtu.be/cUABu539YO0.

Anything that's this edgy simply ain't going to have my D700 mounted on it. It's a non-starter.

gadget

I just loaded V1.1.6 with very limited success. First of all I had it thrashing around wildly until I realised the documentation for the release failed to stress that during the firmware upgrade (write to EEPROM) you have to WAIT UNTIL THE SKYLINE RED LED TURNS TO BLUE (which occurs way after the software progress bar is finished) then you can start setting level etc. Anyway - once I'd run through the setup I plugged the tilt into my Futaba Rx. Now when I boot the RSGS it whacks the tilt right up until I touch the tilt stick whereupon it levels instantly. I've also got starboard roll creep resulting from tilt input. Here's a vid I've forwarded to PH.: http://youtu.be/cUABu539YO0.

Anything that's this edgy simply ain't going to have my D700 mounted on it. It's a non-starter.

I´m certainly not en expert since i haven´t got mine running yet beu the problem with the tilt causing a slight roll might be because the gyro is not 100% perpendicular to the tilt axis.
If it´s off by just a couple of degrees it will affect the roll gyro by the same amount of degrees!?

gadget

Anyone know by the way where i can download firmware 1.1.3 for the skyline?
It´s not available on ph homepage!

RotorTalk

No Longer Active
Returned mine for a refund

Returned my SkyLine RSGS for a refund today. Decided it had wasted enough of my time and broken all the promises it ever made. No way to run a company. Configured my HoverflyGimbal first time. Better software, better calib, better performance, plus it has 3 modes.

Macsgrafs

Returned my SkyLine RSGS for a refund today. Decided it had wasted enough of my time and broken all the promises it ever made. No way to run a company. Configured my HoverflyGimbal first time. Better software, better calib, better performance, plus it has 3 modes.

Tell us about the 3 modes? Any chance of a video showing how well it stabilises?

Ross

arif2209

i think i like to share something about skyline. today i update the latest firmware 1.1.6. after more than hundred time reboot , set level and auto tune, i almost give up.
then i looked at the H-Lead-modificationwithlabels.pdf. i built the H-loom the try again. unfortunately, no success... jitters still there. then i tried with 1 bec to power up the skyline then another bec to power up the servo... i power on the skyline first... once it become green.. i power on the servo... to my surprise.. it works. every calm and smooth.. haven't fly it yet.. BUT do i need to have 2 lipo + 2 bec to make work?.. that is dead weight to me...

DennyR

i think i like to share something about skyline. today i update the latest firmware 1.1.6. after more than hundred time reboot , set level and auto tune, i almost give up.
then i looked at the H-Lead-modificationwithlabels.pdf. i built the H-loom the try again. unfortunately, no success... jitters still there. then i tried with 1 bec to power up the skyline then another bec to power up the servo... i power on the skyline first... once it become green.. i power on the servo... to my surprise.. it works. every calm and smooth.. haven't fly it yet.. BUT do i need to have 2 lipo + 2 bec to make work?.. that is dead weight to me...

Mine is actually working quite well now but it does not look much like the original product. Thought I would update my Naza to GPS and go test fly it this morning . Oh dear the Naza now has a random instability that makes it almost unflyable. Any one else having problems with Naza upgrade

wildnrg

Does the hoverfly stabiliser work?

hover.ch

[h=2]Skyline Setup Problems with Roll Axis[/h]
I'm trying to setup my new Skyline gimbal stabilization system, not with much success so far.

While the tilt axis seems to work well, the roll axis behaves very strange. I did a firmware upgrade to 1.2.2 successfully and started the setup by calibration (Set Level XY, Set Level Z). So far so good. However, as soon as the servos are switched on, the roll axes gets crazy.

1. First the roll servo immediately drives the gimbal into the end stop. After rolling the gimbal to the side it recovers very, very slowly.
2. Tilt axis seems to behave well. Auto tune does it's job (for the tilt axis, while the roll servo is disconnected).
3. Looking at the monitor also unveils a strange behavior of the roll channel compared to tilt:
While the tilt value changes immediately upon moving the camera platform, the roll value changes very, very slowly.
It takes 5-7 seconds, until the roll value "has caught up" and shows the new roll angle, e.g. 20°.
Same when turing back to level: The tilt value immediately jumps to around 0 while the roll value drops slowly until it reaches the initial value after more than 5 seconds...

Is it normal, that the monitored roll value is "dampened" that much?
Why does the roll servo does such a big movement (> 20°) upon switching the servos on?
Any idea what might be wrong?

hover.ch

Installing Skyline was a pain, I can't say anything about it's abilities yet though.

Main issues:
- Mechanical problem, threaded shaft without thread, manual modifications necessary
- Connection via USB/COM-Port not possible without external power - doesn't work as advertised
- Initial setup is a pain, Skyline goes crazy
- Wiring is very difficult, original cable harness was ways to bulky, many cables cut away, individual modifications necessary
- Installation took over 15 hours, no flight tests done yet.