Phobotic Micropiece Controller

jfro

Aerial Fun
I was lucky to be able to purchase a Micropiece form Roee @ Phototics. I'm not sure but it may be a pre-production model, beta, or maybe from a first small production batch. I just don't know for sure. Just had a offer to buy one and I did.

Anyway, this is a boring video from some testing I did from my first flights outside of my backyard. Went up to a friend house with my x8 and my Inspire. Lots of horizon testing....

gh3 on DYS eagle eye with 62-80T motors. One autotune plus some follow settings and then flew. 3s battery, hdmi converter, Micropiece, and video TX sitting on the back of the downtube that holds the roll motor.

SamaraMedia

@jfro you're right, boring, absolutely beautiful boring! Glad to see your gimbal seems dialed in, noticed a slight horizon drift at about the one minute mark when you tilted down but after that you lulled me to sleep with it's stability. Nice place! Great Lakes?

I know you've mentioned it before but which X8?

Thanks.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Yep, Lake Ontario.

There's a little drift in a couple of places, but it's not bad and I can live with it. I once spent 2-3 hours on Vimeo and You Tube looking at Freefly M5 footage on lakes and I found a bunch with the horizon being off a little bit here and there, so I think this is acceptable. I hope it will be improved a bit in the future, but it works. I did a lot of sideways flying and yawing.

The x8 is one I built form scratch. I have 8" plates out of g10 and they are super thick (5/32" in each) . Rock solid. I use vulcan aluminum arms and I drilled an extra hole so I got an extra 15mm (there holes are 30mm spaced) inside my plates. Then the motor mounts are on the arm. I don't extend the out I have to drill out a whole on both top and bottom of arms for bearing motors to fit as they are thicker than the mounts. Again, just friggin rock solid. I attribute a lot of my gimbal success to this setup. I'm 850mm engine to engine. I use a Naza V2 on this, although I have a Pixhawk to put on it one of these days... I use 15" props and Avroto 3515 motors w/ 2 8000 mah batteries.. I think my AUW is 22 lbs.

SamaraMedia

Nice! I would be very pleased with your results, thanks for sharing. Gonna have to look into the micropiece. Is that an add on for the CP which I have?

jfro

Aerial Fun
No, it's a new controller they are making. Much smaller in size. It is running the same beta software I am running on my Centerpiece.

I have no idea what differences or features are additional or subtracted. It appears to work the same on my gimbal as the Centerpiece did.

Don't know much so will have to wait for Phobotic's to finnish it and get it up for sale. They gave me permission to post, so I assume an announcement will come soon On pricing, features, & availability.

Roughly 32.5mm by 55mm.

Family picture (disregard the connector exiting to the side - on the production boards, all connectors are vertical for easy enclosure mounting):

3DFc04P.jpg

snurre

Promising. Does the micro have the same feature set and connectivity ports as the bigger brothers? Will you offer encoder support?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not exactly the same IO, but close (obviously it's so much smaller and something had to give). Same features as the CP/CPHV currently have.
Encoders could be supported once there are gimbals with encoders. Other than Jakub's (which works exclusively with Alexmos), it hasn't caught on too much, for now. We're in a "wait and see" mode; but technically, PWM encoders could be supported just fine.

Our development focus is on the next generation firmware and all that it brings. Expect very interesting, market changing stuff (we did it once, we can do it again!). It, of course, also applies to the Micropiece.

jakuban

Encoders could be supported once there are gimbals with encoders. Other than Jakub's (which works exclusively with Alexmos
It works exclusively with AM because only AM supports encoders for now. But these are standard PWM encoders, nothing special from electronics side.