Panasonic GH2 general and hack info base

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... Have the same video converter and it work great with my GH2 with no issue at all.

So, I have just spent another couple of hours trying every conceivable combination that I could think of in one more attempt to get a LiveView video signal out of this poxy GH2 via the HDMI converter.

To backtrack slightly, the HDMI converter was originally purchased for the Sony NEX-5n which also has only an HDMI output and, other than a strange problem whereby the shutter will not release using a gentLED if auto-focus is selected whilst the HDMI cable is connected, it has always worked. I get the camera output on the ground monitor in all modes. The Canon 5D is the same. The HDMI converter works fine in both record and playback.

But the GH2 steadfastly refuses to output HDMI video through the HDMI converter in record mode. Switch to playback and everything works. But switch back to LiveView and there is no signal.

Since it appears that I am the only one who is still unable to get the HDMI converter to work with the blasted GH2, will those who don't have a problem with their HDMI converter & GH2 please speak to me like I'm an idiot (please don't make it a habit though!) and tell me if there are any specific camera setup parameters that have to be in place. I have tried ALL modes - Auto, Manual, Av, Tv, Manual Movie Mode, Scene - and all variations in the menus for each of these shoot modes - NTSC/PAL, Auto/1080i/720p, HDMI playback Auto/1080/720, Manual Movie, HBR, Cinema, FSH, FH, 16:9/4:3, Vierra On/Off, 3D/2D, Auto Focus/Manual Focus, LCD screen/Viewfinder .... nothing. It only ever works for playback.

WTBF?

Another converter is on order, just in case I have the one in 100,000 lemon - one of my most consistent strengths by the way.

yeehaanow

Have you tried a different cable yet?
Funny, because I have the opposite problem. I can't get HDMI output on playback. But I'm sure it's related to the hack.

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Some info in this thread might help. http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/356/gh2-hack-hdmi-output-testing#Item_130

I'm guessing you're running in PAL mode and that is the cause of your issue. Try NTSC if you haven't already.

I have three cables. Behaviour is the same with all of them and I tried NTSC along with every other variation. Always the same result. HDMI outputs only Playback through the converter. BUT, HDMI outputs with LiveView, Playback AND during record when it is connected to an HDMI capable TV or monitor !!!

That discussion appears to be centered more around recording the HDMI output instead of to SD. Couldn't find anything related to LiveView monitoring.

Pisses me off that Panasonic have ballsed up such a basic feature.

Trnquill

So, I have just spent another couple of hours trying every conceivable combination that I could think of in one more attempt to get a LiveView video signal out of this poxy GH2 via the HDMI converter.
Your situation is very similar to mine. Or identical, actually. Live view in stills mode works, playback works, live view while recording video doesn't. Even that works great with HDMI input TV or small monitor, but not through the converter.

I'm just guessing, but might have something to do with the fact GH2 outputs "high bitrate" signal through HDMI while recording video. I believe this is for external recording devices to maximize the recorded quality. Now, obviously my HDMI-to-composite converter can not handle that kind of signal. But why this works for some? Could there be a new firmware in newer HDMI converters or something?

BTW, this is the first forum where I have found any one saying HDMI converter works while recording video.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Maybe converter firmware does have something to do with it but ... Yeehaanow is able to use the converter with a hacked GH2, and that means an even higher bitrate than the stock camera. My HDMI converter works with a NEX-5n and a 5D but not the GH2.

yeehaanow

Hacked or not, I'm pretty sure the hdmi output is the same. I don't believe hdmi has a 'bit rate' per say. Some hdmi splitters/ converters are picky about the order in which things are turned on. I pretty much exclusively use 24p mode. I haven't confirmed that 30p works yet. Could that be the issue you guys are experiencing ?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Hacked or not, I'm pretty sure the hdmi output is the same. I don't believe hdmi has a 'bit rate' per say. Some hdmi splitters/ converters are picky about the order in which things are turned on. I pretty much exclusively use 24p mode. I haven't confirmed that 30p works yet. Could that be the issue you guys are experiencing ?

Duh! Please excuse that brain fart. Of course you are correct. The hack makes no difference to the GH2 HDMI output bitrate - um ... per se :). I had in my mind the 5D which does trash the HDMI output to 480 lines or something.

I must try the 24fps option. I missed that option. I only explored all variations of 25fps (PAL over here).

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... I pretty much exclusively use 24p mode...

So that settles that question. No change. I can play back recorded video but cannot monitor the live screen - which by extension means I cannot monitor recording video OR still photos.

Poxy thing. If it plays back through the HDMI converter it cannot be a converter issue. It HAS to be a problem with the camera live output. Stupid, stupid, stupid Panasonic for screwing it up and not providing a reliable monitor output and stupid, stupid, stupid Sony for trashing down the recorded image that the NEX-5 sensor captures.

yeehaanow

I thought it worked on another monitor? TV? Just not the convertor.

On the Gh2
Have you tried changing the HDMI output mode? From auto to 1080/ 720/ 480 ?
Is 3D OFF? Is vierra link OFF?
Have you tried switching the TV Aspect?
Each time you switch something, try rebooting the convertor.

Are you sure the HDMI converter is getting proper power? I have run one off AA batteries before and it did not like the varying voltage. I swapped to a BEC set to the same measured voltage of the power adapter and it worked perfect.

If all those have been tried it might be a problem with the GH2.
Here's a similar issue.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthrea...shall-Monitor/page2&highlight=gh2+hdmi+output

But there's a chance that a different brand HDMI converter would work.

It seem so weird because as I said before, I have issues playing back over HDMI. Recording is fine... I think because of the hack though. The camera by itself has issues playing back sometimes.

Vojec

Hi there,
Will upload my little video demonstration that live recording in my case work. Really nothing special, just plug and wire everything together, turn on stuff and watch on 7'inc what I'm shooting (live recording). Just give me an hour or two.

Vojec

As I said here is video that in my case live video recording is working on little 7 inc monitor.

Here I bought video converter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350484260729&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160
and monitor the cheap one: http://www2.buyincoins.com/details/7-tft-lcd-car-rear-view-color-screen-monitor-2-product-2167.html
Also got Panasonic GH2 from ebay US, if this matters.

Use firmware from Driftwood Cluster v1 and Sanity 5 from Ralph. Both firmware work flawlessly on ordinary class 10 SD card.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... Have you tried changing the HDMI output mode? ...

Yep. Tried all those options. Even combinations thereof. Tried switching to NTSC as well.
I get the same results whether power is supplied by a 4 cell NiMh pack or the mains adapter supplied with the converter.

It really is difficult to understand because it DOES work properly when connected directly to an HDMI monitor or TV.

As for trying a different brand converter, I cannot say that I have noticed that much of a choice. Everyone seems to use the same one. I have ordered a mini-HDMI converter but it remains to be seen whether it even arrives or not as there has been no email acknowledgement.

As I said here is video that in my case live video recording is working on little 7 inc monitor ...

That is how it is with all my other cameras. But not with the GH2. I has better try loading a hack.

EDIT: Are you using a stock unmodified GH2 or has a hack been applied? If so, which one? Perhaps we can get some comparison data organised to sift out those hacks that appear to enable the HDMI/converter function.

yeehaanow

I'm using a hacked patch, yes.
I have the Mystereon/ Sanity hybrid. It is tailored towards 24p though, using Sanity for 60p. (The Mystereon 60p would fail recording sometimes)

Flowmotion 2.0 just came out and it is said to work in all modes, NTSC and PAL, and be stable. I haven't tried it yet, but judging by previous versions I would say it's a really good bet, especially if you don't have the fastest memory card. Initial tests are positive. See personal-view.com for details.

EDIT- Your question was probably aimed at Vojec.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I now get Live-Preview from the GH2 HDMI output through a new HDMI converter. Evidently the HDMI converter was to blame all along.

My thanks go to whoever it was who posted THIS LINK to this petite, plastic cased HDMI converter. It is perfect. Small, light, cheap and it works.