Own a "drone" in Oregon? - Go to jail - Senate bill 71

jcmonty

I was just going to post this.. ridiculous. Someone should buy that senator a ARdrone. I bet he would think it's a cool toy and not even realize he is breaking his own potential law!

Bowley

Raises the question: when does a toy or an RC aircraft become a 'drone'?
seems a little totalitarian to criminalize something because someone might not like to see it.
The privacy issue doesn't wash, If your flying close enough to windows to see inside then there more serious issues here, so better criminalize zoom lenses and telescopes and binoculars and camera use from any elevated position.
The sooner there are guidelines for use in the US the better to avoid this sort of knee jerk legislation being drafted by the ignorant.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
If Oregon has this problem already the rest of us are screwed. There is nothing but open land up there compared to California. Ugg, I'm not planning on making this a career anytime soon.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
See I'm so conflicted about all of this. Part of me wishes there was licensing and regulations in place so those of us who are not morons could do our thing.
But then, these regulations would need to be precise.
It's almost like the gun control deal. I'm a responsible Multirotor owner. I'm fine with complying with regulations. Even classes to get a license.
But where does it end. Crazy times.

jcmonty

I am hoping that the local businesses speak out. Oregon is a hotbed for small UAV development. Which means right now, mostly military, but I know that they would be chomping at the bit for some of the commercial opportunities once the FAA figures there issues out

Dewster

This is an utterly ridiculous proposal for a bill. This is what makes politicians dangerous: fear of the unknown. Everyone thinks drones are what the military uses to kill. Ask anyone outside of this community this question: "What is a drone?" You'll hear about predator missile strikes etc.

What sparked the proposal? Better yet. What are they growing in their backyards that they don't want people to see? Lol.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Seems kind of silly to use the "invasion of privacy" schtick when at any one time you already have several cameras recording your actions. Heck, on just the one mile route to pick up my son from school I counted 30 cameras watching me and those were the obvious ones.