Orientation Lighting

jetkrazee

Uplifting-photography.com
Hi gang, were looking for a maker of super bright led orientation lighting for use in bright sunlight. Any thoughts?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hi gang, were looking for a maker of super bright led orientation lighting for use in bright sunlight. Any thoughts?

You can get rolls of strip lights and cut them to size for super cheap from hobby king. They actually worked better/brighter than the strip lights I got from a "better" retailer. You just cut them, solder wires to the contacts and connect them to your power source.

Toymaker

Crashologist
I used plain old superbright LED's with a resistor to limit current. You can find LED circuit configuration by googling it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• lights2.jpg
    lights2.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 316

vrso2

i would prefer bright CREE LED instead using light strips. dont forget, those strips are power eaters... 400mA per strip.

im using separate power source for feeding lights because i have 6cell machine and they run on 12v. it was just easier to add one little 1100mAh battery instead play with power regulator and suck endless power of my main powerplant

yes, i would use lights as Toymaker

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I have not noticed a major draw on my flight battery for these lights. But I don't have a ton on there either. The 400ma is for a full meter of lights, you'd have to be aiming for setting up a disco to achieve that type of draw :)

i had a spare regulator, so it was no worry to wire it up. But of course if the draw on flight pack was too much, the additional battery would be preferable if you can spare the weight gain.

jetkrazee

[MENTION=11354]Motopreserve[/MENTION], yeah I thought of going that route but wasnt sure they would be of a high enough lumen rating. Thks!

jetkrazee

Thanks fltundra, looks interesting. Would like to know total lumen output of these led's. As I stated earlier we need something that can be seen in bright sunlight.

fltundra

Thanks fltundra, looks interesting. Would like to know total lumen output of these led's. As I stated earlier we need something that can be seen in bright sunlight.
I can see them in full sun with dark sunglasses. The first video was at 5 volts, here's a shot of them today so you can get an idea...... I know the strobes are over 400 lumen flash.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetkrazee

Thanks for the video! Say, can these be hooked directly to a battery and do they strobe without an led controller?

fltundra

Thanks for the video! Say, can these be hooked directly to a battery and do they strobe without an led controller?

5 to 6 volts with built in driver, with or without signal wire...but when all are connected to your receiver signal they all flash in sync. In the last video i posted they are random, because transmitter wasn't powered up. I use a 6 volt park bec to power them.