Tau Labs OpenPilot mainboard V Octo Flying

jes1111

Exactly and I also realize that is what they are up to, it is a huge threat. It is obviously these are not real inventions, I suspect there is prior art for all of these as well but it takes time and money to get a bad patent invalidated. I suspect these are "insurance" against the smaller more dynamic businesses come in to the market, this is not at all a threat to OpenPilot but it is for all people who make frames and sell them and for smaller businesses that wish to take OpenPilot and offer complete platforms around it.

I do find it ironic that the patent system was designed to protect inventors against big corporations and these days it seems that corporations use them to stifle innovation by the little guys.

Its is so obviously a farce and that these designs are copied from the community when you have two different companies, in different locations holding a patent for the exact same thing. It does seem like they just look at forums for new ideas from us and then patent the good ones, thus trying to remove ideas from us that we created.

Ha! I live in Portugal - just let them try any legal crap with me here! It takes seven years minimum just to get a preliminary court hearing :)

Did you read about ServoCity? They claim to have invented "putting a geared wheel on a hobby servo"! Say they have a patent!

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah !...... very interesting. I wonder if it would be practical to have a modular design, could help greatly with transportation etc.

Dave(Droider) made reference to a frame design contribution from MRF to honour the CC ? ......... maybe we should explore this config. ? Jeremy where art thou............. ?

Sid

I hear you Sid..

I just spent 7 hours driving home and then went to bed and find that in just a few missed hours of the forum things are going ballistic on a Community frame build!

See Crash has jumped in and started it in my absence!

I am really glad ti has taken off because as I said in my post there are so many fantastic contributors on here there has to be a chance of getting a good frame designed right here.

So the gauntlet has been thrown down by Crash and I see a couple of people I wanted to comment have jumped in with both feet

BRILLIANT :D:D:D:D

Dave

CopterCam

Ok - I didn't know they'd also applied for a US patent. I gather that the European patent is already granted. Also a pain-in-the-butt is the recent grant of a European patent to airrobot.com for the Y6 layout (for which Draganfly already hold a US patent).

If anybody has a friend/relative who is (or knows) a patent lawyer - now would be a good time to chip in! Even if these patents are not enforceable, it takes time and money to fight injunctions if they are issued - I'd love to get some professional opinions on this.

OK..... it is becoming obvious that we need a Legal mind on this one. I approached a Patent Company with an idea for a Golf Swing improvement device(not another one, I hear you say) some years back and whilst my idea was inventive to some degree, the expert said; I am reading between the line here..... unless one has the funds to protect a Patent, they are hardly worth the time and money ?

This whole area is a legal mine field, in this particular AscTec case we need to clarify the Intellectual Property and User Rights given that as 'dankers' states the H8 config. has been in existence for some time. If angling the rods away to give a clear view to a Camera is the crux of this invention then we need to look at the camera at the forefront of the longitudinal axis perhaps?

I wonder what the Demographic confines are to this patent ? We have published papers from Europe and the U.S.............. ?

Sid

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
From someone who has been in the crosshairs of a multinational for name infringement it aint nice. It cost virtually nowt for them to file a case but it costs you a fortune to defend it..

I dont know about Patent Law but I guess its pretty much the same. Did'nt some one on here get a warning shot for his Y6 design from a Aerobot?

Dave

PS.. YO Sid guess its blowing a whooly over your side of the IS to!

CopterCam

From someone who has been in the crosshairs of a multinational for name infringement it aint nice. It cost virtually nowt for them to file a case but it costs you a fortune to defend it..

I dont know about Patent Law but I guess its pretty much the same. Did'nt some one on here get a warning shot for his Y6 design from a Aerobot?

Dave

PS.. YO Sid guess its blowing a whooly over your side of the IS to!

Yeah, this unrelenting wind is bad for business............. One of Obamas Helis is still sitting in Dublin Airport having been damaged whilst landing in Mondays Gale.

jes1111

I found the European patent records for Ascending Technologies (AscTec) - the first applications seem to be from 03/2008. They applied in Europe, Canada and China. It was granted in Europe 03/2009. Something I don't understand is how come they just woke up and filed the application in the US in January this year? Odd!

CopterCam

Very strange indeed.......... one would imagine Australia might be on their Radar too. I wonder how our Asian friends reacted to the application ?