Only a signal wire?

Sebas600

So I was modifying a couple of esc's with a bec to opto.
But the I tought why do I have to use the - as well?
All the stuff runs on the same lipo.
Is this even necessary to do?

Is it possible to just use the signal wire???

flitelab

You can run just signal but adding the - makes sure everything is grounded as well. Some use just signal some use signal and ground.

kloner

Aerial DP
the tbs esc's come with signal only except one that uses all three and the bec. I've never messed with this

Tahoe Ed

The new CC3D uses only signal unless you want to power the board from the esc, then one needs to have the + and - connected. I am going to use the DJI Opto escs so I will use an external BEC.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Yes running just the signal wire is acceptable, the ESC ground plane is common to all circuits though the lipo power leads so it doesn't need the ground connection to the controller. The controller is on the same ground plane as long as you are using the same battery to power the ESCs along with the rest of the electronics. I usually just pull the red wire and leave the ground in place because its already there, it will work exactly the same with just the signal wire.

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
if an esc is opto isolated, is that only on the positive wire or both pos and neg? my understanding that's a fiberoptic switch/thing inline to break the connection of copper to rid the noise

that's on the pwm connection side of the circuit, right?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
if an esc is opto isolated, is that only on the positive wire or both pos and neg? my understanding that's a fiberoptic switch/thing inline to break the connection of copper to rid the noise

Isolated on the signal wire, optos don't have BECs and no connection on the + wire to begin with. - connection is provided for cases where the ESC and controller may not share the same battery.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Opto isolation is in the circuitry of the ESC, there isn't any way I know of to modify a standard ESC to be an opto short of design/build an add-in circuit to perform the isolation and then merge it into the ESC by cutting traces/removing components. Just pulling the power wire from the signal cable does not make it an opto ESC, all that does is make it an ESC with a non-functional BEC.

Ken

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I thought the safest way to do this was to not use any ESC's bec and use an external one as to not add any extra heat to one esc. I like knowing all my esc's have the same load.

kloner

Aerial DP
for something big is good, but a little quad works fine with just a bec. it only drives a receiver.

Sebas600

Yes I konw but the Naza doesn't like other power than it's own.
Also by not using the bec it's can't bust up the esc.

thanks for all the replies and confirming my idea.