One bouncy quad...

Wedge

I have been using the Naza-m + GPS on my TBS Discovery. It has been flying beautifully until yesterday where it was losing altitude suddenly and then trying to pick it back up. Also, when halting from forward flight, it wants to drop at least 1.5m altitude.

I am running TBS 900kv motors, DJI Opto 30a ESC's, 4s 4500mAh and 9" Graupners.

I have both increased and decreased my Altitude Gains and noticed a slight increase in the severity (+ and - 2 meters as opposed to + and - 1 meter) when I increased my gains. I haven't messed with the gains prior to this issue arising. Any thoughts? (I have tape over the FC already)

Gains are as per Trappy's from TBS:
Pitch: 166%
Roll: 135%
Yaw: 131%
Vertical: 179%
Attitude Pitch: 188%
Attitude Roll: 176%

Any help much appreciated.

SMP

Not a solution but a thought...

After rebuilding a 550 from a toss we had a similar issue. While I doubt this is the root cause doesn't hurt to check. Make sure you have the little eclip on the bottom of the motor shaft still intact. If that's missing the motor housing (and propeller) are being held by the magnetic force only. Beacuse of that force, it will still fly which makes it a very deceptive failure) On the DJI motors you can tell if it's missing with a good solid tug (and by solid, I mean hard), if the motor raises slightly (and/or comes off in your hand completely) you've found at least one problem.

Assuming you've calibrated GPS Compass again, again and then again. Each time further away from your car, radio, keys etc.

Best of luck!!

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Could it be the sunlight issue on the Naza? Did you put black tape on the left side to make sure this is not the issue? I did both sides on mine when it happened, not seen the issue since.

Wedge

5:50am here and I am about to head to work so all attempts at a fix will be at least 12 hours away. Thank heavens for long summer days!

Not a solution but a thought...

I'll give recalibration another shot tonight.

is there any video with sound from onboard?

No video although I will get some tonight. I haven't picked up any sounds other than throttle rising to counteract the initial altitude drop.

Could it be the sunlight issue on the Naza? Did you put black tape on the left side to make sure this is not the issue? I did both sides on mine when it happened, not seen the issue since.

(I have tape over the FC already)

Did that very early in my Naza ownership. I thought that perhaps it had come loose, but it is all on there still. Maybe I should do both sides as you have done.

Thank you all for your input. I am certain that the combined knowledge here will see me through!

Wedge

Well after a massive day I got home and tried to replicate the problem. No dice. It was reasonably stable, just a few wobbles but that will be countered with some gains adjustment. Not sure what was going on. Could it have been the fact that it was the first run for the batteries?

I am leaning towards the sunlight issue. The Naza has tape over it, but maybe not enough. Yesterday was fairly overcast compared to the day before... Si

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Have not seen that with batteries, I did find with extra weight on mine it tended to shoot up in the air... lol

PilotMan

What does sunlight do to the NAZA?? There is nothing optical as far as I know inside there....

kloner

Aerial DP
Tweaks out the barometer cause for whatever reason the case is illuminating it. Didn't when they first came out but does now. Thinner plastic or something

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
The only thing I can think of, is when the side is exposed to the light, sudden heat build up could raise the pressure enough to freak it out.

kloner

Aerial DP
It's light. All barometers are succeptable to it. On hoverfly pro boards you gotta block the light on that one too

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Here is my understanding.....based on what I have read and learned during my brief involvement in electronics years ago.....
EEPROMS can't handle light energy such that in a worst case scenario, the embedded program can be damaged or erased.
EEPROM (Double EE stands for Electrically Eraseable but the UV spectrum of sunlight also initiates electron flow on metal.... in this case the miniture eletrical traces inside the microcircuits)......

What does sunlight do to the NAZA?? There is nothing optical as far as I know inside there....

quad flyer

I've been flying multi-rotors with naza controllers for over a year and had never seen this effect until my most recent build with a new naza purchased in Jan this year.
As it was a weird effect that I hadn't seen before, I researched it on the web and tried the "black tape" solution which seems to have cured the issue.
I saw one video on YouTube where a guy flew his 450 Discovery into the sunlight and it bounced about, landed it, put some black tape over the side of the naza and flew it back into the same spot and it held altitude.
It maybe that DJI are now using a different barometer from a different supplier or have changed something else in the manufacturing process.
All I know is that in sunny Singapore flying without the black tape on the naza makes my quad bounce more times than a basketball at the NBA play-offs :)