Oh great... is this true? (registration)

econfly

That's how authoritarianism works: Everyone thinks the new laws won't affect them. And once it starts, there is no stopping it.

Additionally, I realize that it is just accepted among many that every cubic inch of airspace in America is under federal government control. Somehow if I fly a multi 100 feet over my farm I'm in FAA space. I find that ridiculous for a bunch of reasons, not limited to the 10th amendment alone. But that's a different discussion.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
So... I am confused...
How will registration help them identify violators?
Unless the aircraft is damaged or captured, how will they know who it belongs to?
The ONLY way I know is to require a transponder...... but do you really believe that a Phantom 1 that has been in a box under the bed for 2 years will be equipped with a $500.00- 250 gram transponder before it is flown?
Putting your name & registration number on the aircraft is not going to catch anyone, unless the aircraft is captured.... it would be WAY too small to read when in flight.
But just like the drug dealer (Criminal) with an unregistered 45 APC selling drugs illegally......
What makes them think that someone planning to do something illegal with their sUAS will register their sUAS?

fltundra

So... I am confused...
How will registration help them identify violators?
FC serial number. There's going to be a cutoff point in regards to size and weight. I would imagine that it will probably be something like 1kg auw and up must be registered.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

econfly

This is just a stepping stone to greater control. And it will appease people who don't understand or care to consider the real world. The comparison to gun registration is apt. In Massachusetts, for example, there is a registration requirement on new purchases and transfers of guns. In reality, I am unaware of anyone ever being prosecuted for failure to register as a stand-alone charge. It's a tack-on charge, at best, for bigger crimes, but even then it gets tossed in plea bargains -- e.g., straw purchases, out-of-state gun running, or violent crime does not get prosecuted under registration laws, but under laws directly aimed at the illegal activity and with greater penalties.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
listening to the comments made in the video it seems that the AMA is going to be trying to set a minimum requirement for registration, presumably to keep the smallest and least capable of model aircraft out of the registration program.

given all that we've seen in the last few years, especially the websites where users post their altitude and distance records online, it would seem registrations and the application of more complete regulations would be inevitable. those of us that have been responsible are obviously going to feel slighted and that we're being unnecessarily punished but the proverbial horses are out of the barn and they've been shitting up a storm in everyone's gardens, so to speak. the people with a stake in keeping their own constituents safe really have no other recourse other than to seek government involvement.

it's too bad that so many have chosen personal gratification over personal responsibility. i still believe there will be room for personal operators and none of my plans have changed but let's hope the new registration process will be nothing more than a nominal fee and a small collection of personal information.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
How will they get the FC#?
If the aircraft is not captured?
Also.... what about the 100,000 FC that are being used and do not need a firmware update?

ProfEngr

A lot of users are going to need a 12-step program I bet if they intend to remain "legal" in the eyes of Big Nanny. I still say the stroke of a pen cannot make illegal something that was heretofore legal. Wouldn't Ex Post Facto come into play? Ex post facto laws are expressly forbidden by the United States Constitution in Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3, but I'm no legal beagle.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
ening to the comments made in the video it seems that the AMA is going to be trying to set a minimum requirement for registration, presumably to keep the smallest and least capable of model aircraft out of the registration program.
This is the REALLY crazy part of the whole deal.....
without hard statistics, but just a gut of all of the "white" "small" "quadcopter" complaints..... seeming to be the most common.... this is what they are fighting to remove from the registration process.
Yep..... a "Knee Jerk" response to a problem... to show you are doing something, but that will have no real impact of those type of violations that have brought this to the NEWS forefront....
I am VERY fortunate as my clients are all either 333 exempt, going for 333 exemption or responsible enough to not fly in places that are illegal or dangerous....

econfly

I think being a gun owner (and having lived in the very anti-gun state of Massachusetts), I am looking ahead to the end game here where this all turns into security theater, with real risks ignored (being largely uncontrollable -- e.g., intentional use of a drone/rc craft to inflict harm) and imagined risks being exploited for greater government control, with the burden being carried by people who act responsibly in the first place.

For example, say this registration comes with "responsibility", and that this translates into an effective opt-in to search or seizure. That is to say, imagine you live within a few miles of a drone incident. The feds come to your house because you have a registered drone. You say "get a warrant". They say, "no, you elected to give up certain rights when you registered". Then they toss your house, shoot your dog, or do whatever it is that we see federal agents doing all over America.

Call me paranoid, but I'm not signing up for any of this.

ProfEngr

The barometer dongle for Alt restriction would kill most in my area. Part of a property I could fly on has an elevation change of over 600ft. there would need to be some sort of AGL measurement to set the hard ceiling in a system such as this.

econfly

Other thoughts:

One possibility is companies like DJI (which requires customer registration for many product uses) just turn over data to the feds. We may not get a choice about whether we register.

And how does this work if a drone is lost, destroyed, sold, etc? Once on the fed's list, can one ever get off?

cootertwo

I apologize if I came across a bit sarcastic in my post. But in my opinion, (which so far, we are still allowed), what we need is LESS government, and LESS politicians, LESS laws that are only named different from laws already on the books. Just imagine a world where everybody was either a cop, a judge, a lawyer or a politician. It'd be like watching a Three Stooges marathon. Who gets to tell who what they can and can't do. They'd be fighting like a bunch of kids, with nobody to boss around. They'd also starve to death, without OUR tax money keeping them alive.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Your going to give it to them when you register. There not just going to take your word on being able to positively identify your aircraft.
My question still stands.....
So I register everything ....
I go down to the end of the Cleveland Hopkins main runways and fly around causing a near aerial collision.
I get scared... land put it into my car and drive away before the authorities reach me......
How will the identify me?
"white" "small" "quadcoper" with "Green & Red flashing lights"?

fltundra

My question still stands.....
So I register everything ....
I go down to the end of the Cleveland Hopkins main runways and fly around causing a near aerial collision.
I get scared... land put it into my car and drive away before the authorities reach me......
How will the identify me?
"white" "small" "quadcoper" with "Green & Red flashing lights"?
I have know idea in that situation. Just have to see what the task force comes up with next month.:)

econfly

The "task force" already knows what the outcome will be. The coming month is for them to think about how best to spin it, acquire budget, etc.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I'd just like to say that if there is a community of users that didn't drive the government towards this decision, it's you guys. we've consistently run off the kooks and reprimanded those that have have openly demonstrated themselves to be irresponsible operators.

As someone that has a stake in most every side of this process it's hard to take a position and not feel like I'm slighting someone somewhere. I really do hope that the bare minimum is applied here for everyone's sake but I also hope that we never see an accident of the worst kind with a manned aircraft due to an sUAS operator's ignorance and lack of responsibility.